Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hi all!!

My wife joined SW last week so i have decided to join the plan with her(2 for 1!!) all has gone well so far and we have both lost 7 Lbs each..

My question is does everyone hit the 15 Syns or aim for 10-12 each week?At times we felf like we were eating just to fill the Syn's...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

dahat wrote: »
    Hi all!!

My wife joined SW last week so i have decided to join the plan with her(2 for 1!!) all has gone well so far and we have both lost 7 Lbs each..

My question is does everyone hit the 15 Syns or aim for 10-12 each week?At times we felf like we were eating just to fill the Syn's...

I usually try to have at least 10 a day... you do have to eat to fill in the syns to optimise your weight loss.

If you're clever about it though you can make it work to your advantage. What I usually do is have a free breakfast, low syn lunch and then a free dinner.

That leaves me open then to have maybe a kitkat for a snack (5.5 syns for two fingers) and a packet of tayto velvet crisps (4 syns). I then have a few syns to play with for the rest of the day if I get peckish again.

Seems to work for me anyway.

Eating this way can also mean that you can have a takeaway at least once a week... a chow mein out of most takeaways for one serving is only 8 syns... I definately look forward to that every week.

Keep it up though you're doing really well!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Hi all!!

In my view there not a target . some days i wont use any sins ant other day i might us up to 08 or 10
    Te less you use them the better weight loss that week I find

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ultwen wrote: »
    In my view there not a target . some days i wont use any sins ant other day i might us up to 08 or 10

You have to have at least 5 syns a day for optimal weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hi all!!

I always eat the minimum of 5, as I try and stick to the "rules" of the plan and then I just have the rest there as a buffer so if I slip up/am eating out/finding it hard and need a little something they're there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

ultwen wrote: »

I think it all depends on what you use your syns for

I’ve found that I’ve become very sensitive to sugar, (even artificial sweeteners) so that it tends to make me feel a bit queasy and I end up binging on more sugar
    So I try to cut it out, and to use my syns on more savoury foods instead
    e.g. the other night I made a really yummy dish of chickpeas and vegetables in a spicy tomato sauce. I served it with half an avocado, which is about 8 syns alone :-o
    I also tend to use them for “fats” like olive oil salad dressings, a tab of butter with my brunch every Saturday, and proper yogurts, like glenisk because I can’t stand muller light.

some days I use all my syns, some days I go over, and some I barely use them.
    I don’t think cutting them out really helps with weight loss, but they are a nice cushion if we ever feel the need to verge off a bit
    The syns give us the opportunity to make the diet our own and what works for us

After a while, you’ll get to know what foods work best for you, what foods are “trigger foods” and best avoided, and what foods are good for treats

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Great to see so many new faces!!! I just back after 2 an 1/2 wks off plan so dreading wednesdays weigh in. When i say off plan i mean i enjoyed myy xmas at home meeting up with friends for lunch/dinner/drinks... Also white bread YUM although i did make sure to get some form of exercise in every day alhough i know im up, 3 days to get my ass in gear, back at work and back to my own place so have more control over the food im consuming. Heres hoping i can pull some of it back for Wednesday. Hoping for a really good january to get back on track:) Hope ye all had a great xmas and hopefully the newbies are enjoying the plan x

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

dont eat just to use them up if your not hungry, i use them for stuff like ketucp, butter and real mayo rather than chocolate or crisps. I always try for abour 8 or more as when i was very strict and under 5 it was no benefit at all.
    Hi all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

emma_mc123 wrote: »
    and proper yogurts, like glenisk because I can’t stand muller light.
    definitely agree with this and my wife is the same. aside from the coconut muller light in a curry, they're just nasty tasting. artificial sweeteners might be 'good' on SW, but they're bad in every other respect and i'd rather go without them and spend a few syns on decent yoghurt. the glenisk low fat ones are very low in syns anyway (can't remember off the top of my head, maybe 1.5 or 2 syns), but so much nicer than the muller lights.

vibe666 wrote: »
    definitely agree with this and my wife is the same. aside from the coconut muller light in a curry, they're just nasty tasting. artificial sweeteners might be 'good' on SW, but they're bad in every other respect and i'd rather go without them and spend a few syns on decent yoghurt. the glenisk low fat ones are very low in syns anyway (can't remember off the top of my head, maybe 1.5 or 2 syns), but so much nicer than the muller lights.

It's funny, a few years ago when I did WW I lived on Mullerlite yoghurts and really enjoyed them - got them recently and couldn't eat them, the consistency and feel in your mouth was awful. The only exception for me is the Greek style lemon, I find them absolutely gorgeous and only half a syn each. Rachel's vanilla yoghurt is my new favourite, with fruit salad - adds a few syns but increases the flavour dramatically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

So had a bit off a bad weekend, ate fish bites and chips from burdocks but didn't finish the chips or all the batter. Then yest I went to market in Marley park for a walk. Had a little chocolate cake on a stick was pure heaven, then had a latte and crepe. Went to boot camp today and have been a lot more active then normal trying to walk everywhere.

Weigh in 2mo but doubt I'll get my 2lbs to get my stone as its a later weigh in and I have to eat dinner before

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

............... fallen off the wagon girls and boys... after actually losing 1.5 pounds over Christmas I think I have just undone that in the last 3 days............ Really annoyed with myself. I don't know why I did it, I was in just in a sort of self destruct mode. Anyone else get like that? Tomorrow is another day... gotta get back on track.

Just had my weigh in - lost 6lb so am thrilled. I know it's because I have a lot to lose and it's the first week so have to keep my head down now for this week but feeling nicely motivated now.

Cutestuff I think we've all been there, just draw a line under it and start again. I used to find when I did SW before that of I slipped up the best thing would be to go back to basics I.e. LOADS of superfree and water. Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just had my weigh in - lost 6lb so am thrilled. I know it's because I have a lot to lose and it's the first week so have to keep my head down now for this week but feeling nicely motivated now.

Cutestuff I think we've all been there, just draw a line under it and start again. I used to find when I did SW before that of I slipped up the best thing would be to go back to basics I.e. LOADS of superfree and water. Best of luck!!

Wow, that is an amazing loss. Well done! I start tomorrow so am feeling really motivated.

Incidentally, for anyone who does SW. I found this forum which appears to be very useful indeed, has tonnes of info on there!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Well done angeldelight!! That's a fantastic loss!!!

Cute stuff I do that doo. Start off really well but then I start my path of self destruction and I get so angry with myself. Thankfully it doesn't happen me too often but your best bet is just to start straight away and get back into it :)

I put up 3lbs over Christmas. Lost 1lb last week and weigh in is tomorrow. I'm ill at the moment and am on antibiotic but I hope that doesn't effect how I've been the last week!

Finding it really hard to get motivated for my walks too, so that'll have to start soon! I'm Nervous about tomorrow but we shall see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of joining slimming world. I've done WW a thousand times and it never really stuck.

I have a fairly substantial amount of weight to lose (about 6st) and I have so many things this year, two family weddings, my own graduation etc. so I don't want to be like miss piggy for them all :(

I can be quite fussy when it comes to food, I'm not a big vegetable person at all. I can't stand peppers and onions (I've tried and tried but I just hate them :( ) I like most green veg, carrots, and that's really it :( I know how the SW plans work, I joined briefly about two years ago but due to circumstances outside my control I didn't stick with it.

My main problem for meals is lunches. I'm still in college (UCD) and it doesn't really have much in the way of healthy options. I don't have access to a microwave, so this is seriously limiting my options for lunch and putting me off actually joining :(

I really want to do this, I have put up with my weight for far too long but I'm also afraid that silly practical things like lunches will throw me off.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hey Misslt, I know what you mean about the lunches!! What I find great, is using brown bread for my healthyB and making a big salad sandwich. You could also have a portion of cold pasta salad with chicken, lettuce, tomato and a little balsamic vinegar. yogurts are great too, especially the fat free ones. cous cous and bulgar wheat are great. I love making a bowl of bulgar wheat on boiling water and a stock cube, and just having that with my sandwich. I can't think of many other options right now, as I am on soup in work but I'll come back to you once I think of some. Actually... could you have soup in a flask??

But fair play to ya for wanting to get back on the programe. when you have obstacles like that in from of you, I know how much of a pain it can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

ChewChew wrote: »
    Hey Misslt, I know what you mean about the lunches!! What I find great, is using brown bread for my healthyB and making a big salad sandwich. You could also have a portion of cold pasta salad with chicken, lettuce, tomato and a little balsamic vinegar. yogurts are great too, especially the fat free ones. cous cous and bulgar wheat are great. I love making a bowl of bulgar wheat on boiling water and a stock cube, and just having that with my sandwich. I can't think of many other options right now, as I am on soup in work but I'll come back to you once I think of some. Actually... could you have soup in a flask??

But fair play to ya for wanting to get back on the programe. when you have obstacles like that in from of you, I know how much of a pain it can be!

Thanks ChewChew! I could look into a flask for soup, I'd need to get a decent one that doesn't leak on my notes & money is a bit tight (student) but I can save for it, thanks for the suggestion!

Sandwiches will work too but I have porridge for breakfast most days which I think is also a healthy extra b so I could only do that on days I have time to have eggs or something for breakfast - are eggs free on extra easy?

I have to do something - its getting to the point where its affecting me emotionally and making me not want to leave the house! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

misslt wrote: »

My main problem for meals is lunches. I'm still in college (UCD) and it doesn't really have much in the way of healthy options. I don't have access to a microwave, so this is seriously limiting my options for lunch and putting me off actually joining :(

I really want to do this, I have put up with my weight for far too long but I'm also afraid that silly practical things like lunches will throw me off.

There was a microwave in the engineering building by the shop. You could go have a look. I used to regularly use it! (2 years ago)

I just realised you get a free gym too, sweet! Go in and ask one of fitness instructors for a plan. Otherwise you could start walking in or cycling if possible

And good luck :) I've just started myself (with WW since there's no SW near me) and the start is really tough getting used to all the new things. If I mess up though I just tell myself I'm still learning!

Thanks ChewChew! I could look into a flask for soup, I'd need to get a decent one that doesn't leak on my notes & money is a bit tight (student) but I can save for it, thanks for the suggestion!

Sandwiches will work too but I have porridge for breakfast most days which I think is also a healthy extra b so I could only do that on days I have time to have eggs or something for breakfast - are eggs free on extra easy?

I have to do something - its getting to the point where its affecting me emotionally and making me not want to leave the house! :)
    You can get little flasks in Tesco, for less than €10 - so bear that in mind when you are picking up one :)

Yes, eggs are completely free :) (just be careful what you put them in or fry them in)

Another thing with the sandwiches is, if you are having porridge, you could syn your bread? might be an option once, or twice a week if you want to use your syns elsewhere?

Do you like fish? Tinned tuna is great if you like fish. I love mixing a tin through some cold pasta too.

I'll keep thinking :)

• Advertisement

Hi misslt

I'd highly recommend eggs for breakfast, take a little bit more preparation but totally worth it
    every Monday and Wednesday evening I make a fritatta in the oven. Just bake the whisked eggs with whatever assortment of meat and veg you want (easy to get super free in)
    can also add cottage cheese (the fat free is free on slimming world) to make it fluffy

this way I have a protein filled free breakfast prepared for the next 3 days
    keeps me filled all morning, even porridge doesn't fill me the way the eggs do

this would leave your healthy extra b to use for later in the day

the flasks and big salads are great ideas for lunch :)

Stayed the same this week :-/ it was later class then ones I've been going to over the Christmas. So happy with that, worked out a lot this week so wrecking I'm holding onto water as my muscles are so stiff.

On a good note I found out I won slimmer of the week for last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Hi all,

I'm planning on joining sw online.Did anybody get a copy of the daily mirror with the online discount code?Could you post it up,if possible.It was sold out of my local shop yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Hi all,

I joined up last night not thinking i had much to lose...but I do! One stone needs to come off asap :)

Like the free and superfree foods as it means I can have my eggs for brekkie which I find really filling! Will hopefully all become a bit clearer over the next few days as I'm finding it a bit confusing at the moment.

Heres to getting rid of the fat! :)

forgot to say, went up 2.5lbs last night
    really don't know where it all came from, so keeping a food diary this week
    I think I may have become a bit complacent with small syns and it built up without me thinking

here's to it coming off again next week :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hi all,

I'm planning on joining sw online.Did anybody get a copy of the daily mirror with the online discount code?Could you post it up,if possible.It was sold out of my local shop yesterday :(

Hi Celtic chick, I think I might have the paper still at home. I'll check when I get back and let u know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

emma_mc123 wrote: »
    Hi misslt

I'd highly recommend eggs for breakfast, take a little bit more preparation but totally worth it
    every Monday and Wednesday evening I make a fritatta in the oven. Just bake the whisked eggs with whatever assortment of meat and veg you want (easy to get super free in)
    can also add cottage cheese (the fat free is free on slimming world) to make it fluffy

this way I have a protein filled free breakfast prepared for the next 3 days
    keeps me filled all morning, even porridge doesn't fill me the way the eggs do

this would leave your healthy extra b to use for later in the day

the flasks and big salads are great ideas for lunch :)
    if you're stuck and you have access to a microwave, we quite often do something which we like to call 'eggs in a cup' which is exactly (eggsackly:D) what it sounds like.

just crack 2 or 3 eggs into a cup, pierce the yolks with a fork ot make sure they don't go bang and cook for a minute a a time and give them a quick stir with the fork after each minute to mix them up a bit.

you end up with something a little different in texture to an omelette or frittata as a good chunk of the white and yolk stays separate, so it's more like a boiled egg (in a cup). :)

season with salt and pepper to taste and even add a syn or two to flavour it up with teaspoon of low fat spread/butter.

my wife likes to put a lowlow cheese & ham triangle in the bottom a the start of cooking it to add some flavour, but she's a bit weird, so you may not want to try that. :D

anyway, it's very filling and with a slice of toast to help mop it up, you've got a nice tasty brekkie or late night snack that doesn't take a lot of work to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Had my weigh in earlier, down 2lbs this week. Feel a little disappointed, as when I did ww twice before, I used always have a bigger loss in the first week, 4 - 6 lbs. stuck rigidly to the plan. Ah well, better than gaining 2lbs I suppose.

Glenn coco- More then likely it will show up next week, just drink more water and make sure to eat more super free. How many syns where you using each day?

I was so motivated after class last night, went on big walk. Then today made soup. No exercise today as my legs are stiff from boot camp and walks. I have set myself a challenge, I'm not allowed use my car if I can reasonable walk there. So far so good, I'd gotten into awful habit of driving 5min drives when I can walk these.

Hope every1 having a good week! Great too see the board so busy? If anybody got any questions feel free to ask.

Has anybody any nice ideas for snacks, I had lovely treat last night got ww wrap (5syns) chicken and salad (free) then put one laughing cow triangle cheesev(1syn) toasted it under grill. Hmmm delish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hey there all. Had my first meeting this evening. Have a couple of stone to lose (eeek!!) but am SUPER motivated and also really pleased with the vast array of superfree foods. I love to cook and am so impressed with the variety of grub! Will update here on progress and good luck to everyone else on the SW journey as well! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement