Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

hi...I just joined the other night. am loving it so far....the kick in the back side I need. its tricky having to think what you're going to eat but so far so good.

the recipes are great...its no quick fix but just changing the way you prepare and cook food. half the stuff is so easy its cooked in no time.

eggs are my saviour at the moment...they give me migraines though...so just waiting to get one any day now.

I'm so afraid to snack on pasta and rice...I just can't believe it would be ok lol...but again time will tell.

I can't find fat free footage frais anywhere....is how fat Greek yogurt the same...I assume not? I must check the back of the book.

anyhow best of luck every one!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Hopefully Bulmersgal, having on average 10 syns per day. Drinking about 1.5 litres water per day, but only since Sunday. Bought some of the bars at class today, 2 can be your healthy extra b, and they're delish (Rocky Road).
    Making a lot of soup too! Got the Italian Spice in Tesco, added it to butternut squash, onions, carrot and broccoli, making a kind of sweet and savoury soup. I love it. Going to experiment more this week.

Have to up the ante on walking this week, starting swimming lessons next Tuesday too.

My favourite dessert last week, 3 syns, small meringue nest, frozen raspberries and strawberries and fat free natural yogurt, yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I can't find fat free footage frais anywhere....is how fat Greek yogurt the same...I assume not? I must check the back of the book.

anyhow best of luck every one!

You can get fat free fromage frais in tesco it's a big white tube, it's in the lighter choice range.

Glenn coco I love that dessert it's really feels like a treat. You should defo see it next week, it always takes longer then a week for me to see my losses and gain. They say you should really look at it each month as your weight can fluctuate at different times but looking at each month and your loss will give you best comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Incidentally, I can't find the value of McCambridge's brown bread. Could two slices of these be used as a HexB instead of two slices of wholemeal does anyone know? Or what is their Syn value? Cheers :)

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

They're not in your healthy B because they don't have enough fibre content. I'm Not sure of the syn value but ill try find out for you :)

Managed to lose 3lbs tonight so I'm
    Thrilled. Got slimmer of the week too which was really nice! I'm back on track so I'm happy out.

Mad night for me though. I'm on the social committee in my group and we have two classes so I do the weigh in both. Tonight between the two we had 60 new members! Couldn't believe it but great to see :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Hi all, i just finished day one, feel great energy wise but I'm really really bloated. Didthis happen anyone else in the early days?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Hi all, i just finished day one, feel great energy wise but I'm really really bloated. Didthis happen anyone else in the early days?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I have a quick q about Slimming World- is it suitable for folks who don't have much to lose? I only have a stone and a half to lose and the last stone (or first stone in this case) is the hardest...

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

It's not difficult if you stick to plan and stay to group. You also need to be conscious of sticking to plan once you become a target member :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Greenduck wrote: »
    Thanks

I'm in very early days and I find I'm very constipated - and Im drinking water.

• Advertisement

First week I got bloated from the fruit but got great loss of 6 pounds. I was 11st 4lb, 8 weeks later I've loss 12lbs. Being honest I haven't been hundred percent as it was Christmas but I did still lose over Christmas even with cheat days.

I found the fruit n veg made me poo a lot more but the water helps the best. Oranges or clementines are great to help but remember you have to eat them whole..

Chew chew that's some amount of new members our class had about 30 odd but so did early classes I heard.

Also I seen on bargain alerts lucozade lite are doing promotion buy a bottle and they'll give you 2 weeks free membership to selected gyms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Oranges or clementines are great to help but remember you have to eat them whole

Omg it's obviously too early for my brain to function properly... For a minute I was thinking there's no way I could fit an orange in my mouth! lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Omg it's obviously too early for my brain to function properly... For a minute I was thinking there's no way I could fit an orange in my mouth! lol!

I was thinking the same as you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Achilles wrote: »
    I usually try to have at least 10 a day... you do have to eat to fill in the syns to optimise your weight loss.

Is that right? Sure if I have a bar of chocolate or a bottle of wine it's not going to help with my weight loss. I know they recommend you do use 5 of them, but didn't think they have any input in to the weight loss, upping your fruit and veggies does alright.

First weigh in after Christmas this week and I was down 1lb, chuffed with myself.

Danniboo wrote: »
    Is that right? Sure if I have a bar of chocolate or a bottle of wine it's not going to help with my weight loss. I know they recommend you do use 5 of them, but didn't think they have any input in to the weight loss, upping your fruit and veggies does alright.

Any of the forums I've been on recommend using your Syns. They said last night in group to aim for 8 a day and that NOT using them at all can impede your weight loss. I'm not sure of the science behind it but just telling you what I've been told! Well done on your lb loss by the way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Danniboo wrote: »

I don't understand this really... Why do you think they say to have a minimum of 5? If you're following the plan I think you should follow it as they say, not pick and choose... They've come up with a minimum of 5 for a reason. I tend not to use mine on chocolate or treats but I prefer to use oil for stir frys, organic yoghurts instead of Mullerlite, a small amount of butter in my mash rather than stock and use my syns that way so the free stuff tastes better

Well done on your loss :)

I don't understand this really... Why do you think they say to have a minimum of 5? If you're following the plan I think you should follow it as they say, not pick and choose... They've come up with a minimum of 5 for a reason. I tend not to use mine on chocolate or treats but I prefer to use oil for stir frys, organic yoghurts instead of Mullerlite, a small amount of butter in my mash rather than stock and use my syns that way so the free stuff tastes better

Well done on your loss :)

I'm confused I didn't say I don't consume my minimum of 5 or stick to the plan, I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

You can get it in Supervalu, 200g kilbeg Dairies make it, an irish company, its a yellow tub with green along the bottom. if they dont have it you can ask for them to get it in for you,thanks what i did

so back after xmas and 1/2lb on, delighted although i think i lost 2/3 since sunday as ive been back on track and sticking to it. Hopefully get a loss next week would love 2 off whoch would get me back to where i was.

• Advertisement

whoa...hang on...you have to use 5 syns a day???? how did I miss this? all I heard was 2/3 of your plate free foods 1/3 super free...drink lots of water and take one amount from your healthy a option...one amount from healthy b. eat free foods if you need to snack.

we have 15 syns a week I thought and you can use them or not? the only reason I haven't used any syns isn't to show off or pick and choose...its because I'm afraid if I eat any goodies at all I'll fall off the wagon.

I thought that was the whole point of slimming world....you can pick and chose what works best for you?

You have 15 syns a day to use for what you want. If your afraid of falling off the wagon stay away from goodies and use them for food. I love ketucp, butter and real mayo, and some days i take 2 healthy a and syn the cheese. or you can syn whatever food you are missing from your diet...sometimes its just great to have white bread and syn it :)

As you said the point is to pick and choose what you want, it dosent have to be goodies!!
    whoa...hang on...you have to use 5 syns a day???? how did I miss this? all I heard was 2/3 of your plate free foods 1/3 super free...drink lots of water and take one amount from your healthy a option...one amount from healthy b. eat free foods if you need to snack.

we have 15 syns a week I thought and you can use them or not? the only reason I haven't used any syns isn't to show off or pick and choose...its because I'm afraid if I eat any goodies at all I'll fall off the wagon.

I thought that was the whole point of slimming world....you can pick and chose what works best for you?

really??? is it definitely 15 a day? I thought it was 15 a week...I was saving them up for a couple of drinks tomorrow night :o

Definately, its max 15 and recommend 8, but like saying that i try have none/very few on friday and saturdays so i can have drinks sat night.
    really??? is it definitely 15 a day? I thought it was 15 a week...I was saving them up for a couple of drinks tomorrow night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

Magenta wrote: »
    I have a quick q about Slimming World- is it suitable for folks who don't have much to lose? I only have a stone and a half to lose and the last stone (or first stone in this case) is the hardest...

Hi Magenta

you'd be more than welcome to slimming world :)

my ultimate goal is 2.5 stone, nearly got my 1.5 stone finished!

you need to have a minimum of 7lbs to lose, so you'll be fine. hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

it's 15 a day, but they really don't encourage you to regularly save up on syns to use in one go

all about moderation :)

that's not to say you won't have the occasional "synful" night, just not to save them up too frequently

Haha I'm so nervous about having any syns now...I see about saving up....but sure with 15 a day what would you be saving up!

is it a max of 15 but that's pushing it or 15 don't worry about or or what's the deal.

th funny thing is I don't even fancy chocolate....I'm just thinking about a fruit no fat yogurt .5 a syn! :D

I clearly need to go back and read these books :o

th funny thing is I don't even fancy chocolate....I'm just thinking about a fruit no fat yogurt .5 a syn! :D

It doesn't have to be chocolate, you can use them for whatever you like or things that will enhance the flavour of food. Today for example I've had a massive tuna salad for lunch and used some Syns on the light mayo to make tuna mayonnaise. I'll use some more Syns later for a little bit of grated mozzarella to put on a jacket potato I will be having with my dinner. You can use them for a glass or two of vino at the end of the day or maybe you like a little bit of butter on your pasta or what have you? Or maybe you REALLY like bread so the Syns will allow you an extra slice or two. Examine what you enjoy eating/flavours you like and then use the Syns for things that will make the programme a little bit easier to sustain.

Too early for me too I meant to write as a whole fruit like in segments and not as a juice.

• Advertisement

I'm so glad I came in here..this all sounds much better than the way I was doing it.

I definitely won't be wasting it on chocolate or anything...I just had a bowl of soup and put a teaspoon of low fat butter on my bread...thought I was in heaven! :D

Can I just ask somethin else that may sound silly....you know the way it says say lean meat is free...but if cooked in oil there are syns in it...do I count those plus the value of the oil itself...because that would be counting the oil twice wouldn't it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement