Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Hannibal you cannot cook fruit, you have to syn it if you cook it or mash it or juice it.. A apple cooked is 2 1/2 syns and pineapple is 2 syns. Whereas gravy powder is 1 level tsp is 1 syn but remember your sharing gravy so wouldn't use a full syn

nooooooo!!!!! I read the book wrong...I thought it was safe as long as I didn't puree grrr.

I could still be ok though....it says they can either be a healthy option or a syn...is it a healthy option a or b I wonder...I haven't had a healthy option a today. I was so chuffed with myself and all!!!!

its a b....crap!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

It's better then what you would of ate before, so don't worry. You only have to be super strict with every rule when your weight loss starts to slow

yeah that's true and me syns are only 7.5 today including the booming cooked fruit. I wouldn't mind coz I deliberately didn't puree it to save myself :D

oh well at least I know now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I had an amazing roast today but it wasn't all syn free... Had chicken, ham, roast carrots & parsnips, mushy peas and broccoli all free but then I had roasties done properly (4 or 5 eek!), stuffing and gravy. It could have been worse though. Oh and I just remembered the Vienetta too :( it's weird though finished dinner at 4.30 and still not hungry so haven't eaten anything else today. Hopefully I haven't done too much damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Totally confused now - how I ended up synning on the pineapple. I put the spray in the pan with fresh pineapple and stir fried. So I would have been better off not frying the pineapple and just eating fresh - really don't understand how that works.

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    Totally confused now - how I ended up synning on the pineapple. I put the spray in the pan with fresh pineapple and stir fried. So I would have been better off not frying the pineapple and just eating fresh - really don't understand how that works.

pineapple is only 1 syn though...I presume its to do with releasing the sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

That's it exactly. Most fruits will release .natural sugars as you cook them.

I double checked book 100g of fresh pineapple is 2 syns.
    If it was out of can you always syns it and its 2.5 syns per 100g

There's a great show on the Food Network (508 on UPC) called Hungry Girl - she gives out great advice and recipes and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

Hi Guys

how was everyone's weekend? my week was awful, first week back at work and snacked so much on that god dammed vending machine, then had a few meals with little or no superfree :(

but I really got back on track on Friday, healthy meals, gym and badminton time and just being sensible with snacking

hoping I won't have done too much damage :-/

• Advertisement

I'm so afraid of tonight's weigh in....I'm so afraid I've done it all wrong and missed the point.

I think I'm like that pic going around fb ...I've been on this diet all morning aren't I skinny yet..lol.

I think I'm expecting way too much for a first week and my fear is after all the hardwork I've only lost 3lbs...its gas this time last year id have been delighted with 3lbs off...and I'll losefaith in the whole thing.

on the plus side the couch to 5k is going fairly well...I'm keeping up with it anyhow which is good. and I could have chickened out this morning because of the rain but I didn't so that's all good :D

fingers crossed for you Emma!

Aldi have butternut on the super 6 deal, so I made this soup,so nice I went back for seconds lol

information
    Serves: 4
    Prep time:
    Cook time: 40 mins
    Syns per serving:
    Green: FREE
    Original: 1
    Extra Easy: FREE

ingredients
    Low calorie cooking spray
    1 onion, peeled and diced
    1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into wedges.
    1 small potato, peeled and quartered
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    900ml vegetable stock
    A few thyme sprigs to serve

method
    1. Spray a large pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat, add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.

2. Add the butternut squash and potato and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat. Add the garlic and season to taste. Pour in the stock and simmer for 25 minutes.

3. Using a hand-blender or food processr, blend until smooth and serve sprinkled with thyme sprigs.

I'm so afraid of tonight's weigh in....I'm so afraid I've done it all wrong and missed the point.

I think I'm like that pic going around fb ...I've been on this diet all morning aren't I skinny yet..lol.

I think I'm expecting way too much for a first week and my fear is after all the hardwork I've only lost 3lbs...its gas this time last year id have been delighted with 3lbs off...and I'll losefaith in the whole thing.

on the plus side the couch to 5k is going fairly well...I'm keeping up with it anyhow which is good. and I could have chickened out this morning because of the rain but I didn't so that's all good :D

3lbs is a incredible lost, the way I always have thought in my head is great I lost 3lbs but really if I hadn't of come to slimming world and kept going the way I was I would of been up a half or a whole pound. So really I've lost 4lb it's might sound silly to some but motivates me when I'm feeling down

Hope this motivates

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

3lb would be nothing to be disappointed about and dont forget if exercise is new your going to hold water until your body readjusts. most important thing is to stick to it!! it does work:)

I made the lasagne on SW website and YUM it was great, a fantastic alternative to the real thing. Did miss the creamy sauce slightly but not too much, tried it on the rest of the family and went down a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I think a 3lb weight loss would be amazing! My first WI is on Wednesday and I am going with no huge expectations as I believe that weight takes some time to come on and you can't just expect it then to fly off.

I think if you stick to the plan then it will inevitably come off but it will vary person to person and week to week. I know I did a diet before and lost NOTHING for the first three weeks and then 8lbs in the fourth week. So it's imperative to look at average weight loss and progress over the course of a month/three months/six months as opposed to expecting miraculous results overnight, not achieving them and then throwing in the towel.

I know I now have two stone to lose simply because I was tracking by myself and when I didn't see results overnight I simply gave up. I believe SW will get me there but it could take a few months. I also like Bulmergal's approach in looking at all the weight you could be putting on if we continued as we were!!

In any event, I hope it goes really well for you this evening. What I'm trying to say, in a very convoluted fashion, is to not have some expectation in your head that you're going to have lost half a stone tonight and then feel like a failure when that might not be the case. EVERY pound lost is a step in the right direction! :)

thanks very much
    almost went straight to the vending machine after lunch today, luckily I didn't have enough change. Need to beat this habit out of me!!

btw, I have never lost more than 3lbs in one week, and I'm almost 1.5stone down
    slow and steady wins the race! it's really not sexy when you read all the magazines that promise 10lbs in a week etc, but it's definitely the healthiest and easiest to maintain
    stick at it and before you know it, you'll be a stone down and buying new clothes :)

3lbs is a incredible lost, the way I always have thought in my head is great I lost 3lbs but really if I hadn't of come to slimming world and kept going the way I was I would of been up a half or a whole pound. So really I've lost 4lb it's might sound silly to some but motivates me when I'm feeling down

I know you're right...its a great achievement and a fab amount to lose...but I guess I have no concept yet of how much work means how much off.

the way I thinking of it was...whatever the result this eve....I have a hell of a lot less sugar in my system than I did this time last week and I really do feel great.

any how 3lbs for 4 weeks would be nearly a stone so that's not too shabby! ;)

Hope this motivates

love it!!

I know you're right...its a great achievement and a fab amount to lose...but I guess I have no concept yet of how much work means how much off.

the way I thinking of it was...whatever the result this eve....I have a hell of a lot less sugar in my system than I did this time last week and I really do feel great.

any how 3lbs for 4 weeks would be nearly a stone so that's not too shabby! ;)

3lbs is a lot to aim for every week. U prob never put on 3lb every week so you shouldn't expect it. I'd do be delighted with a pound and a half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

emma_mc123 wrote: »
    btw, I have never lost more than 3lbs in one week, and I'm almost 1.5stone down
    slow and steady wins the race! it's really not sexy when you read all the magazines that promise 10lbs in a week etc, but it's definitely the healthiest and easiest to maintain
    stick at it and before you know it, you'll be a stone down and buying new clothes :)
    this is exactly the right way to do it. let it leave you the way it found you, slowly and without you really noticing it. :)

weight lost slowly is weight that is a lot more likely to stay off.

this is all great! Im not really expecting to lose 3lbs a week...just on week one...id be hoping all the new lifestyle would make a huge impact and then after that it will be slow and steady as your body becomes accustomed to the new regime?

like youre all saying if ya do it too quickly I can't imagine you could maintain that for life!

I just need to get me attitude in check for tonight and I'll be set ;)

this is all great! Im not really expecting to lose 3lbs a week...just on week one...id be hoping all the new lifestyle would make a huge impact and then after that it will be slow and steady as your body becomes accustomed to the new regime?

like youre all saying if ya do it too quickly I can't imagine you could maintain that for life!

I just need to get me attitude in check for tonight and I'll be set ;)

The weight loss on week 1 varies for people

Most of the time it’s water weight, and is influenced by your original weight

Normally those who are bigger, have bigger initial losses
    Although this is not a set in stone rule, everyone is different

It is also affected by what your diet before slimming world was, how much liquids you drink, fruit and veggies

Anyway, as I said, most of it’s water weight. Which means that if you weren’t retaining the water, you didn’t have much to lose
    And to lose more than 3lbs in body fat in a week is definitely not healthy

My first weigh in was -3lbs :)

I lost 3lbs on my first week - and I did not stick to the plan rigidly. This is my second week and I have stuck to the plan more or less so I hope to achieve some type of loss this week.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I stuck to the plan religiously in my first week too, and on my first weigh in... I stayed the same... and I ended up feeling like this: :eek: :(:( :mad: :mad: :eek: but then the following week I lost 4 lbs so I was like this: :D:D:D I am certainly that person who has back weeks, and every 4th weigh in... I either stay the same or gain. It's just how my body works. My weight loss is slow, but I'm putting that down to my underactive thyroid. I'm just glad to be losing!

I get that too every 4 weeks Its always week or few days before my period. It's grand cause in my head I know the reason. I also find even though I've been great some weeks it might not show till the next week same as well as when I've been bad. I try to look at the month or my total loss.

Had great day today, ended up going back to aldi to get more butternut squash's so going to make huge batch of that soup. Ate 3 portions of it today but its all super free besides one small potatoe and the butternut is a speed veg. So helps you lose weight quicker

What's the soup Bulmersgal?

Aldi have butternut on the super 6 deal, so I made this soup,so nice I went back for seconds lol

information
    Serves: 4
    Prep time:
    Cook time: 40 mins
    Syns per serving:
    Green: FREE
    Original: 1
    Extra Easy: FREE

ingredients
    Low calorie cooking spray
    1 onion, peeled and diced
    1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into wedges.
    1 small potato, peeled and quartered
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    900ml vegetable stock
    A few thyme sprigs to serve

method
    1. Spray a large pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a low heat, add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes.

2. Add the butternut squash and potato and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat. Add the garlic and season to taste. Pour in the stock and simmer for 25 minutes.

3. Using a hand-blender or food processr, blend until smooth and serve sprinkled with thyme sprigs.
    ChewChew wrote: »
    What's the soup Bulmersgal?

I've just gone and made double the recipe, going to have big bowl 2mo in college and have made a chicken tikka salad cannot wait for it lol.

Oh sorry I missed that post :o it does sound yummy. I make something similar but instead of potato I used yellow pepper :) I made a big pot of leek and potato soup. Not entirely super free but the leeks weighed the same as potatoes so I don't mind so much. It's absolutely delicious :)

• Advertisement

I have leeks in fridge, I love that soup too. Leeks are on special in aldi only 79c.

Silly question when your cutting leeks, do you use he green bit at all? I was unsure so just used the white bit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement