Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

also (sorry for all the questions) I have a meal out on Sunday...its not a themed restaurant as in Chinese etc....so I dunno what the menu will hold. how do I eat out successfully?

I got these tips from the Hungry Girl Show - seems reasonable.

Don't starve before you go for meal, don't eat the bread rolls on table, order a starter salad or soup, any dressings or gravy should be ordered as a side, dip don't pour, fill up with veg on your plate, don't overeload on alcohol - :D. (Otherwise just go out and enjoy yourself and get back on the wagon on Monday - one day out won't kill you):D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

its so hard to know if something can set you off track...I knew doing it it was a silly rationalisation.

if you were to make a superfree soup could I have had that and been ok?

also (sorry for all the questions) I have a meal out on Sunday...its not a themed restaurant as in Chinese etc....so I dunno what the menu will hold. how do I eat out successfully?

Also, most restaurants have a copy of their menu online. Have a look for it as at least then you can plan what you're going to have so you reduce the chances of panicking and picking badly. (Looking up restaurant menus was one of my favourite past-times when I was not in SW.....sigh)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Victoriaf

Hey Girls,

I have been doing so well this week but have to go out for a birthday meal tomorrow night with my boyfriend. We are going to a typical steak and fish style menu restaurant. I don't want to consider it a "cheat" meal. What way would you guys order? Leave sides out etc? No sauces? Just looking for any tips so i have it set in stone as to what i'm ordering.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Relax Hannibal, one meal wont make a difference. i find it hard to do 1/3 for all my meals, i try do 2 out of three but sometimes its one, it does slow down weighloss but dosent stop it, im 2 and 1/2 off 2 stone loss even with not sticking ridgdly to plan. Im happy with this way though because it suits my lifestyle and i wont put back on in the future(thats the plan anyway);)

In relation to scales, i tend to check some mornings at home( I never did before SW) but my scales and SW dont match so its more a guess to make sure im not putting on. they say not to but its hard!!!

i had 2 1/2 off last night and was happy to get back on the wagon after slight gain at xmas, onwards and downwards:p

the free was a baked potato with quark ...so I really just had a free and a syn for lunch didn't I and no superfree? will that have a huge impact on this weeks loss?

also...did you guys hop on and off the scales when you started it? I should stop that shouldn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

steak, salad( dressing on side), veggies, baked potato?? baked fish not fried, nothing in batter. Its important to still have a life get the sauce on side and dont use it all, get salad dish for starter instead of dessert, dont bother with white bread etc.
    But if you want to its ok, one bad meal out of 21 is ok. I eat out once a week and try to be as good as possible but if i want it il eat it. Save you sins during the day to use for the meal, and have a good day on sat. You'll be fine ;)
    Victoriaf wrote: »
    Hey Girls,

I have been doing so well this week but have to go out for a birthday meal tomorrow night with my boyfriend. We are going to a typical steak and fish style menu restaurant. I don't want to consider it a "cheat" meal. What way would you guys order? Leave sides out etc? No sauces? Just looking for any tips so i have it set in stone as to what i'm ordering.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

thanks for all the tips and advice and reassurance. my weigh in is Monday so I don't want to go too mad on Sun.

I'm a pound down from last weeks way in and am so hearing the pity....only a pound gone this week type head nodding at the group lol.

I'm wondering if I went overboard last week is my body adjusting...but seriously I need to chill out and just crack on with the plan!

well done all the losses!

Victoriaf wrote: »
    Hey Girls,

Thanks

Are you the Extra Easy plan? If so, have a look at the back of the book under the section "Eating Out" so you can familiarise yourself with what is to be avoided at all costs and then work from there.

I think the basic rules I would follow are as follows:

• Avoid the bread basket
    • Have sauces on the side
    • Have meat or fish that is grilled where possible
    • Avoid anything pan-fried (will be laden with butter)
    • Don't be afraid to ask the waiting staff how a thing is cooked/if it contains butter etc/what they would recommend
    • Give dessert a miss
    • Download the SW app so you can access Syn value - I find it quite good when on the move
    • Above all have a good time. Life doesn't stop because you want to shed a few lbs. Go out, enjoy yourself and just be mindful of the small changes you can make to lower the Syn value of what you're eating! I think if you're good the rest of the time a little bit of indulgence from time to time will make the whole thing wayyyy more sustainable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Victoriaf

Thanks so much for the help, i'm such an indecisive person. At least i have targets/goals on what to order. Does anyone know much about the new calorie counter information thats meant to be placed on most restaurant menu's soon? I think it will be great. Can hopefully keep an eye on my sins when eating out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Thinking of signing up for three months online, is it worth it? Is it much harder online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Uh cannot stop craving choc, gave in and had two bars one at lunch and one after dinner. Only 9 1/2 syns tho. I never realised a drifter only had 6 1/2 syns, it was lovely. Thank god my college week is over, think every1 thinks I'm mad with my flask of soup and salads. It's great though as I'm saving money and losing weigh. Only use 11 1/2 syns today.

Going to get my hair cut 2mo and giving myself €50 to spend in penney's, moving in a few weeks so trying to save up deposits. Looking forward to buying smaller clothes. Not eating any fast food this weekend, I have decided hopefully me and scales will be friends

• Advertisement

just double check the drifter bg...think it might be that per bar and there are 2 bars in a pack?

anyone know how many syns in a ballyfree turkey sausage? on the syn finder it says 2 but dunno is that per sausage or per pack? I've thrown the packet out and divided them up in the freezer now so can't calculate it .

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Uh cannot stop craving choc, gave in and had two bars one at lunch and one after dinner. Only 9 1/2 syns tho. I never realised a drifter only had 6 1/2 syns, it was lovely. Thank god my college week is over, think every1 thinks I'm mad with my flask of soup and salads. It's great though as I'm saving money and losing weigh. Only use 11 1/2 syns today.

Going to get my hair cut 2mo and giving myself €50 to spend in penney's, moving in a few weeks so trying to save up deposits. Looking forward to buying smaller clothes. Not eating any fast food this weekend, I have decided hopefully me and scales will be friends
    Oh I love drifters!!! Thanks for that. I will deffo be getting a few of those! :D

I went down a half lb this week. Really happy with that especially after te week I had. I have my nieces communion in may so my goal is another stone for that and I'm also back doing my food diary. They're great so they are

just double check the drifter bg...think it might be that per bar and there are 2 bars in a pack?

anyone know how many syns in a ballyfree turkey sausage? on the syn finder it says 2 but dunno is that per sausage or per pack? I've thrown the packet out and divided them up in the freezer now so can't calculate it .

I double checked the drifter on tesco website and its per stick :( so 13 syns for that so I went 2 1/2 over my syns not too bad as I was under day before and I learnt my lesson.

Try check the tesco website, if u sign up to do online shopping, you can select your product and select nutrition and it gives you all the info about product there.

ChewChew wrote: »
    Oh I love drifters!!! Thanks for that. I will deffo be getting a few of those! :D

I went down a half lb this week. Really happy with that especially after te week I had. I have my nieces communion in may so my goal is another stone for that and I'm also back doing my food diary. They're great so they are

Congrats on your loss, that's a very doable target. I'm trying for another 11 lbs before my daughter 3rd birthday it's first week in April.

I went shopping and the size 10 jeans closed yay, they were bit tight so I didn't buy them. I got shorts etc in size 10 that are lovely and a few pencil skirts. Will go back when I've lost a few more pound. But on such a high, spent all my money so that I wouldn't buy junk food. Was so hungry as had rush out that morning on only half a banana as I had appointment to get my hair cut. But had lovely salad and some whole meal bread out of Supervalu bakery. Not sure syns in that but it's less then mc Donald's

that's fantastic bg...can't wait for a new dress size! bet you're chuffed with yourself.

Have just made a delicious pot of this but old habits die hard and I used some chorizo to flavour the pan (then took it out) before adding all my ingredients. Does that have a drastic effect on the Syn count of the soup eventhough all the ingredients are free or superfree? Also, if I've used Superfree/Superspeedy ingredients, do they remain that eventhough they've now been cookes and mushed up? Thanks for any insight guys!

I'm not sure about the oil.... how much do you think you used? Once you used all super free veggies then yep, they still remain that way. The thing with the fruit is you can't juice them because they release natural sugars and they needs to be eaten in their full form to get the full satisfaction from them. Hope this helps :)

Bulmersgal, I am gutted about the drifters! Oh thank god I didn't buy any!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Thinking of signing up for three months online, is it worth it? Is it much harder online?

I signed up after I had finished going to WIs for a while...lost 21 pounds last year but it took a long time because I kept losing motivation or skipping my weigh-in (and then I put 12 of those pounds back on :o) So I would say it is harder but you will find it ok if you really put your mind to it

ChewChew wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the oil.... how much do you think you used

I didn't use any oil and only used Frylite. However the chorizo released a bit of fat. Good news that the veg remained superfree, the damage can't have been that bad then! Thanks! :)

Merkin wrote: »
    I didn't use any oil and only used Frylite. However the chorizo released a bit of fat. Good news that the veg remained superfree, the damage can't have been that bad then! Thanks! :)
    Sorry that's what I meant... the oil from the chorizo :o I wouldn't worry too much about that. maybe a syn or two at most! :)

Dam my boyfriend to the pits of slimming world hell. He "forced" me to eat half bag of chips and spice burger. :(

There goes all my hard work. No chocolate for me till weigh in

• Advertisement

Ah no don't think like that. Just eat lots of super speedy super free. If I were you I'd eat a melon today :D

Dam my boyfriend to the pits of slimming world hell. He "forced" me to eat half bag of chips and spice burger. :(

There goes all my hard work. No chocolate for me till weigh in

If you have been good the rest of the time this is not going to have a huge impact hon, don't beat yourself up about it. I'd go hell for leather on the SS today and the blip will right itself!

Thanks chew chew and merkin. Making up big batch of butternut squash soup and eating loads of fruit. Goin to up my water

So made my butternut squash soup but forgot to put in potatoe so it's just a super free soup so that's good.

Then had the mushy pea curry with the baked beans in it. Sounds rotten but for somebody who doesn't like mushy peas or baked beans it was massive. Had the look and taste of proper curry sauce when blend. It's a super free and even better a SUPER SPEED. I had actifry chips n rice, can't wait to eat it again. Loads left over so froze them in individual pots so if I want curry I can just defrost one of them.

The recipe if anybody wants to try it is.
    2 onions
    Clove of garlic
    Tin of mushy peas
    Tin of baked beans
    Tin of tomatoes
    Tin of water
    2 chicken stock cube
    2 dessert spoons of curry powder ( I used mild)

Fry the onions for 2 min, add the curry powder fry another minute. Then add the rest of ingredients bring to boil, cook for few minutes then blend.

I added a bit more curry powder 1/2 spoon as could still taste peas. Also some people like to put it through a sieve after blending

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

So made my butternut squash soup but forgot to put in potatoe so it's just a super free soup so that's good.

Then had the mushy pea curry with the baked beans in it. Sounds rotten but for somebody who doesn't like mushy peas or baked beans it was massive. Had the look and taste of proper curry sauce when blend. It's a super free and even better a SUPER SPEED. I had actifry chips n rice, can't wait to eat it again. Loads left over so froze them in individual pots so if I want curry I can just defrost one of them.

The recipe if anybody wants to try it is.
    2 onions
    Clove of garlic
    Tin of mushy peas
    Tin of baked beans
    Tin of tomatoes
    Tin of water
    2 chicken stock cube
    2 dessert spoons of curry powder ( I used mild)

Fry the onions for 2 min, add the curry powder fry another minute. Then add the rest of ingredients bring to boil, cook for few minutes then blend.

I added a bit more curry powder 1/2 spoon as could still taste peas. Also some people like to put it through a sieve after blending

Hi bulmersgal,can I ask what curry powder did you use?Also did you use normal froozen chips or sw chips?Thanks

Hi bulmersgal,can I ask what curry powder did you use?Also did you use normal froozen chips or sw chips?Thanks

Its just a tesco brand one. I used mild as my daughter was eating it. Any curry powder is free but not dried curry sauce.

I made them with potatoes but cooked in my actifry but you could oven cooked them.

Frozen chips are not free as they are coated in oil

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

Thanks Bulmers Gal, gonna try it tonight!

Made a Beef and Guinness and beef stew for dinner later. Worked out at 12 syns for the entire pot, and there's at least 4 portions in it, so 3 syns for a thick luxurious stew? yes please!!! can't wait to dive in to it :D

Also, I picked up some Velvet crunch crisps in Lidl today. €1.99 for the pack, and only 4 syns per pack which I don't think is too bad at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Its just a tesco brand one. I used mild as my daughter was eating it. Any curry powder is free but not dried curry sauce.

I made them with potatoes but cooked in my actifry but you could oven cooked them.

Frozen chips are not free as they are coated in oil

Thanks bulmersgal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Havnt been able to get back into the swing of things since xmas. the need for chocolate is just beyond crazy. has anyone got any tips on getting back into it? i still go to group but just dont feel my heart is back in it. nearly putting back on the weight i lost at this stage :-(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement