Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I lost a pound and a half whoop whoop I'm bang on 10 stone roll on next week till I see 9st .I have no clothes left now after going through my wardrobe. Just got to start saving for big shopping trip

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Well done BG :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

fantastic bulmersgal well done!

I went without pancakes yest ...I know there were all kinds of synfree recipes flying around but I didn't want to chance doing something that would put an extra syn in...coz I'm saving them all for a Chinese and wine tomorrow night....can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Joining Slimning World this morning with my sis, excited & nervous at the sametime :O

I've always been a WWs fan but since I've had my son I find myself more hungry doing WWs to the point that I can wake up with headaches (not good!!).
    I managed to lose 15 of the 18lbs I put on while having my son last year but I could still stand to lose another 25lbs to have a healthy BMI & start feeling like myself again :-)

I'm sure I'll be back on here with a million questions :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

no pancakes yesterday :( was working late and the 3 shops i tried were out of flour, WI later so going to have them tonight, proper ones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd none either. :o It's WI for me this evening too and I always try to be extra good in the day or two before. Think I will have some tonight though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Hey all.. Hope ya don't mind me joining in?! Started 2 weeks ago properly, lost 2.5 lbs in first weigh in (even tho I was only doing it 3 days!) and lost 1.5 yesterday.. It's going slow but tbh I don't lose weight fast ever so I'm pretty happy.

Just wondering do people save their syns at all? I know officially ur not meant to really..

Well done, you're making good progress.

Generally with Syns I tend to "use or lose" although I had a day during the week when I had 25 so I had 10 for two days after.

Have you an event coming up? If so, Flexisynning might be a good idea.
    I went out for dinner recently and said I was allowing myself 50 Syns for the evening and had a GREAT time!

It depends on the individual but I think you're more likely to see better results from having your 15 Syns every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Tigerton

Had my first weigh in today. 3lbs down. Woo. Off to a nice start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks Merkin.. Yeah I guess ur philosophy about using or losing is the better idea!! Can I ask what is flexisyn? My leader said she would speak about it but never did!

• Advertisement

Flexisynning is when you have a special event, a one-off, and to keep yourself in check you allow yourself extra Syns for that day only and STICK to that limit. It allows you to keep in control and feel like this event hasn't led to you "ruining it". It is not the same as a binge, it is a planned and controlled response.

So when I said earlier I went for an Indian meal recently, I had told myself before going out for the night that I was permitting myself to eat and drink less than 50 Syns that night and stick to it. I did just that, had a great night out and was back on plan the next morning. I also lost 2.5lbs that week. I wasn't in the restaurant tapping away on a calculator either. I knew before going what healthy and low Syn Indian options I would choose while also allowing myself a naan bread and a couple of drinks!

So, while it shouldn't be a regular excuse to make a pig of oneself on a whim, it's a great way of continuing to enjoy yourself and social life without feeling you've lost control.

Will probably go out for dinner next week again and will do the same - there's a lot to recommend doing it periodically. It certainly scratched an itch for me and made me feel like I still have a life! :D

1.5lbs down this evening and got my half-stone award too...thrilled! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mharper

Had my weigh in today and was down 2lbs and got my Club 10 :)

well done on your awards the pair of you..that's excellent.

merkin what's sw good in an Indian?

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Well done Merkin and MHarper :D great losses there!

I had my weigh in tonight. Up half a lb but I'm happy with that because I was at a wedding friday... a party on saturday and I just never really got back in to it until monday so I am thrilled! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mharper

Merkin wrote: »
    1.5lbs down this evening and got my half-stone award too...thrilled! :D

Congratulations and well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

It was my weigh in today, and I am down half a pound, I was hoping for more but I know I need to step up my exercise now that I have finally fully recovered from the dental surgery in order to get better loses each week. I have also decided to give up takeaway food for lent. It is my ultimate downfall and it is not doing me any favours.

I managed to quit smoking last year so quiting takeaway for 40 days can't be that hard? (Famous last words :0))

well done on your awards the pair of you..that's excellent.

merkin what's sw good in an Indian?

Oooh, I love Indian cuisine and we have a takeaway most weekends as a treat. If you choose boiled rice and avoid the really naughty items done in creams or deep-fried then you can enjoy a really nice guilt-free meal every so often.

Avoid things like pasandas or kormas.

Are you on Extra Easy? If so, the following are good dishes to go with:

Chicken Dhansak (6.5Syns)
    Chicken Dopiaza (7 Syns)....my favourite :D
    Chicken Jalfrezi (8.5 Syns)
    Chicken Tandoori (9 Syns)
    Chicken Vindaloo (8 Syns)
    Chickpea Dhal (5 Syns)
    Lamb Rogan Josh (6.5Syns)
    Vegetable Jalfrezi (7.5 Syns)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Just had my weigh in, lost 1.5lb. I'm a bit disappointed as I've a lot to lose and was really good all week, BUT, I wasn't having my healthy b every day and I think that affected it.
    But sure look,it was better then a gain! :)
    So just had my pancakes and it's the start of a new week :D

WI last night, down 1.5lbs and absolutely thrilled!! Got my 2 stone award and have been on cloud nine since :) Celebrated with some pancakes yum yum yum :)

• Advertisement

Open the fridge, weigh out 1.5lb of butter or lard if you have it and smile because you just lost that of your body :) if you gained that you'd be way worse off!!! It always helps me keep motivated:D
    Gee_G wrote: »
    Just had my weigh in, lost 1.5lb. I'm a bit disappointed as I've a lot to lose and was really good all week, BUT, I wasn't having my healthy b every day and I think that affected it.
    But sure look,it was better then a gain! :)
    So just had my pancakes and it's the start of a new week :D

Merkin wrote: »

Oooh, I love Indian cuisine and we have a takeaway most weekends as a treat. If you choose boiled rice and avoid the really naughty items done in creams or deep-fried then you can enjoy a really nice guilt-free meal every so often.

Avoid things like pasandas or kormas.

Are you on Extra Easy? If so, the following are good dishes to go with:

Chicken Dhansak (6.5Syns)
    Chicken Dopiaza (7 Syns)....my favourite :D
    Chicken Jalfrezi (8.5 Syns)
    Chicken Tandoori (9 Syns)
    Chicken Vindaloo (8 Syns)
    Chickpea Dhal (5 Syns)
    Lamb Rogan Josh (6.5Syns)
    Vegetable Jalfrezi (7.5 Syns)

thanks for the list. I'm terrible for Indian food...I could dig my snout into one and not come up for air till it was all gone lol.

unfortunately its all the kormas etc that I go for lol...and the tikka nom nom

what's the least hot of the ones you listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

thanks for the list. I'm terrible for Indian food...I could dig my snout into one and not come up for air till it was all gone lol.

Jafrezi ummm I think I might one of them today, it's not spicy just tasty. It's rice with veg in it and whatever meat. They give u sauce as well but I never really use that

Ha lol, so am I, I absolutely love Indian food. Although I like it coma-inducingly hot and tend to go a bit crazy for jalfrezi (see what I did there? ;)) You're probably best to go with the rogan josh or the dopiaza which is really delicious as it's very onion-y and flavoursome. The best thing you can do is to go for one of the above (NOT a madras or vindaloo or jalfrezi) and then add some natural yogurt through it if you still think it's too hot.

Actually I've just found this which lays it out in pretty succinct terms:

Restaurant curries from mildest (1) to mindblowing (3)

Korma/Kurma: (1 chilli)
    One of the mildest on the menu, it's a creamy, coconut-based curry that's very subtly spiced. Butter chicken/Murgh makhani: (1 chilli)
    A mild dish of chicken marinated in yoghurt and spices and served in a sauce made from butter, tomatoes, almonds and spices, often including cumin, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, fenugreek and sometimes cream. Pasanda: (1 chilli)
    A mild curry made with cream, coconut milk, and almonds. Tikka masala: (1 chilli)
    A British invention, using chicken, meat or fish with a creamy, mild curry sauce and fresh tomatoes. Saag: (1.5 chillis)
    Mild to medium-hot. Made with spinach; saag gohst has lamb. Dopiaza/Dupiaza: (2 chillis)

A medium curry made with "double" onions, pureed in the sauce and also in the dish. Roghan josh: (2 chillis)
    Originating from the Kashmir region, tomatoes and chilli powder give it its red colour. Dhansak (2.5 chillis)
    A medium hot, sweet and sour curry with lentil, sauce. Originally a Parsi dish. Madras (2.5 chillis)
    A fairly hot curry, red in colour due to the heavy use of chilli powder. Also contains tomato, almond and lemon juice. Pathia (2.5 chillis)
    A Persian dish, with a sweet and sour flavour from fruit and tomatoes that is medium-hot. Jalfrezi (2.5 chillis)
    Cooked with fresh green chilli, onion, tomato and capsicum as well as extra chilli powder. Vindaloo (3 chillis)
    A spicy curry that is a speciality of Goa.

bulmersgal wrote: »
    Jafrezi ummm I think I might one of them today, it's not spicy just tasty. It's rice with veg in it and whatever meat. They give u sauce as well but I never really use that

:eek: Jalfrezi is FULL of big chillis BG, it's really hot and spicy! Quite high on the heat scale so I'm surprised you don't find it hot, you must be hardcore!

bulmersgal wrote: »

Are you sure you're not thinking of a biryani?

jees even readd that list I want to lick me phone :D

that's great thanks for all the info merkin ...yr very good. I thought Indians were a big no...but I'm going to organise one with the girls and give this dapiaz a try. do I son the yogurt if I stir it in. ooh...I wonder could I sneak a bit of fat free yogurt in in me bag lol

well done dair ...that's an amazing loss

I was thrilled when I started SW and realised we could still go out for an Indian from time-to-time. It's my favourite although you do have to be really careful with all the nibbles like poppadoms and stuff. I FlexiSynned a night out recently and had all the extras like naan bread and chutneys and poppadoms etc (20 Syns in a Naan.....:eek:) etc.

If I were you I'd definitely take a little tub of fat free natural yogurt in your bag. And rather than be covert about it and feel you're being cheeky just tell them you're on a special diet and it's a specific one and ask them if they wouldn't mind you using it. If you're spending money there most reasonable people won't mind! Are you in Dublin? If so, my favourite Indian restaurant is called Diwali, the food is superb http://www.diwali.ie/

Lol at you licking your phone, I've realised it's still morning time and all I want is a curry :o

yeah I'm Dublin...jewel in the crown is my usual haunt. they're fairly easy going there so I wouldn't say they'd even notice me yogurt

have you tried the sw curry sauce with the mushy peas? it is to die for.

• Advertisement

Yum, I love Jewel in the Crown as well. I haven't tried the curry sauce because I can't get my head around using ingredients like peas and beans together! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement