Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Merkin I no myself when I excerise I hold on to a lot of water as my muscles repair themselves and this leads to me getting a false gain. You will lose inches instead which is more important as that is what ppl see

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Merkin wrote: »
    Why does up upping the exercise have a negative effect on your losses at first? I've gone from three to five hours of cardio this week and was hoping it would show!!

I'm no biologist but from what I understand your body retains alot more energy from the foods it would normally burn off as you're traumatising it a little bit with work that it's not used to.

Once your muscles build themselves up and once your body gets used to it you'll start to see losses again. Don't forget though the more you work out the more muscle weight you will put on so this can lead to you thinking that you're up when you perhaps may not be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Achilles wrote: »
    Once your muscles build themselves up and once your body gets used to it you'll start to see losses again. Don't forget though the more you work out the more muscle weight you will put on so this can lead to you thinking that you're up when you perhaps may not be.

It's very easy to put on 1lb of fat but very unlikely that you'd build 1lb of muscle in a week and for this to be muscle you need to be eating an excess of calories.

It's more than likely water weight.

It's very easy to put on 1lb of fat but very unlikely that you'd build 1lb of muscle in a week and for this to be muscle you need to be eating an excess of calories.

It's more than likely water weight.

Fair enough! As I said I'm no biologist... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

WI later, i went and did an introductary gym class on Mon and oh the pain.... i never knew i had so many muscles and in strange places!!! My poor legs are still sore. Swimming last night which was probably a stupid idea not giving my body rest but i had already paid for it and just cant afford to throw away money at the moment. So today i hurt, which im disappointed about as i though i was getting fitter...well body says no...
    i was really hoping for a loss but i find i retain water the first 3 weeks i up my exercise and usually maintain or lose 1/2 over the 3 weeks. Usually by week four im down and back on track. Sometimes its not the losing weight its the toning, i find people are noticing im getting in shape rather than losing weight.

Anyway really hope everyone is staying on track and facing up to WI's xxx fingers crossed for you all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Had WI last night and was down 1.5 lbs, so that's 5.5 lbs in last 3 weeks, I'm pretty happy with that as I really do lose weight very slowly!
    I have found this week in not as focused, a bit has been going on and I have forgot about sw to a certain extent. However today I'm going to get back on track!

Well done to everyone and good luck to those who have WI the rest of the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

First weigh in done, 3.5lbs down wahooo!!! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Weigh in today, I lost half a pound. Not very pleased with myself as I had a disastrous weekend foodwise, I had a team night out in TGI's, my boyfriend took me for lunch on Saturday for Valentines, and we had Sunday lunch with his family on Sunday. I need to start taking more control about my food choices at the weekends, so that my weight goes down quicker, I feel like I am sabotaging all the effort I put in during the week. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Am down another 1.5lbs, delighted! :D 8.5lbs down overall in 6 weeks which is a little slow but good progress nonetheless! Hope everyone else has a good week x

clicli wrote: »
    I need to start taking more control about my food choices at the weekends, so that my weight goes down quicker, I feel like I am sabotaging all the effort I put in during the week. :(

Do you keep a food diary hon? I give myself a looser reign at the weekend but still write everything down. If you don't do this then you really should, you'll really see where you can improve and exactly what you're eating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

Do you keep a food diary hon? I give myself a looser reign at the weekend but still write everything down. If you don't do this then you really should, you'll really see where you can improve and exactly what you're eating.

I have actually started doing that today :) Thanks for the advice :)

I find it easier to stick to a routine during the week, mainly because I am on my own, my partner works nights, so weekends are for spending with each other, and he has no concept of dieting, there isn't a pick on him! I know I need to be stricter with myself and I am going to make a bigger effort this week.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Why does up upping the exercise have a negative effect on your losses at first? I've gone from three to five hours of cardio this week and was hoping it would show!!
    I can't explain it, but I know that this happened me this week. I had WI tonight, and went up! I'm devastated because I feel absolutely fantastic. Anyways, I'm going to continue on as I am. I've taken all my measurements tonight so I will compare next week and see! I'm hoping for a good loss next week!

clicli wrote: »
    I have actually started doing that today :) Thanks for the advice :)

I find it easier to stick to a routine during the week, mainly because I am on my own, my partner works nights, so weekends are for spending with each other, and he has no concept of dieting, there isn't a pick on him! I know I need to be stricter with myself and I am going to make a bigger effort this week.

It will make the world of difference. There are some great diaries on here, wonderful for some inspiration and you can see how just how much you can push the boat at the weekend if you still keep on plan. If you stick to it you'll have a good loss next week x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-food-diaries/

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

Hi everyone

How is every one doing?

Haven’t been on in ages (as usual)

Gained 2 lbs on the week of pancake Tuesday, but took the time to talk to my consultant
    Since then I’ve been getting back on track. Have actually stayed away from the vending machine from that Tuesday 
    After I leave the office tomorrow it will be an entire Monday to Friday that I’ve successfully not eating anything from the vending machine
    I’ve decided to give it up for lent, and for every day I avoid it, I put in a euro in a money box. Any days that I feel like I was particularly good, I throw in my loose change as well

So this Tuesday I lost a pound. I expected a bit more and honestly I was disappointed, but reminding myself that what I want now is consistency, not the 2 or 3 up and down every few weeks.
    So a pound down a week will be great stuff for me, anything else is simply a bonus

So that’s me, how is everyone else doing?

Well i maintained, kinda expected it with the exercise and i would have been devastated if i went up. STILL sore but I have a class paid for this eveing so going to motor on, if i can only do half well its better than none.....And when i think about it last week was pancake week and went for dinner twice so really cannot complain!!!

Hey all, just got this reciepe and thought i would share it with you; everbody keeps raving about it so going to try it this weekend if i get a chance

DIET COKE CHICKEN :

2 CHICKEN BREASTS
    1 - CAN DIET COKE
    1 - ONION AND WHATEVER OTHER VEG YOU WANT TO ADD
    6 - TABLESPOONS PASSATTA
    SPLASH SOY SCE,WORCHESTER SCE,TOBASSCO SCE
    1 - TSP CHINESE 5 SPICE
    1 - CLOVE GARLIC CRUSHED
    1 - OXO CUBE RED
    1/2 TSP CHILLI FLAKES (OPTIONAL)

METHOD:
    FRY OFF CHOPPED CHICKEN AND ONION IN FRYLITE UNTIL IT SEALS. IN A LARGE JUG MIX PASSATTA, DIET COKE, 5 SPICE, GARLIC AND ALL THE SPLASHES OF SAUCES TOGETHER. POUR OVER THE CHICKEN, CRUMBLE IN OXO AND SIMMER FOR 30 MINS. 15 MINS FROM END OF COOKING ADD IN WHATEVER VEG YOU LIKE, STIR OCCASIONALLY AND SAUCE WILL BEGIN TO THICKEN UP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Dair wrote: »
    Hey all, just got this reciepe and thought i would share it with you; everbody keeps raving about it so going to try it this weekend if i get a chance

DIET COKE CHICKEN :

2 CHICKEN BREASTS
    1 - CAN DIET COKE
    1 - ONION AND WHATEVER OTHER VEG YOU WANT TO ADD
    6 - TABLESPOONS PASSATTA
    SPLASH SOY SCE,WORCHESTER SCE,TOBASSCO SCE
    1 - TSP CHINESE 5 SPICE
    1 - CLOVE GARLIC CRUSHED
    1 - OXO CUBE RED
    1/2 TSP CHILLI FLAKES (OPTIONAL)

METHOD:
    FRY OFF CHOPPED CHICKEN AND ONION IN FRYLITE UNTIL IT SEALS. IN A LARGE JUG MIX PASSATTA, DIET COKE, 5 SPICE, GARLIC AND ALL THE SPLASHES OF SAUCES TOGETHER. POUR OVER THE CHICKEN, CRUMBLE IN OXO AND SIMMER FOR 30 MINS. 15 MINS FROM END OF COOKING ADD IN WHATEVER VEG YOU LIKE, STIR OCCASIONALLY AND SAUCE WILL BEGIN TO THICKEN UP.

Thanks for posting this.Is this syn free?

YES totally syn free, if you want sweet and sour flavour, instead of using a can of diet coke use a can of diet fanta!!! Aparently they are as nice as a takeaway!!!

Yeah I've tried diet coke chicken it's lovely, think I might do that for tonight hmmm

ooh, it's just gone 3.30pm on a friday. 90 more minutes and I'll have made it an entire week without going to the vending machine :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Havent had a takeaway in months so going to treat myself with a healthy one maybe chow mein or have leftover sw curry sauce so can get loads of chicken, veges and boiled rice Nyom! I went for 45min walk during lunch so that's the body magic done. Just have no food in and couldnt be bothered cooking tonight. I actually appreciate takeaways and the healthy versions more not when I am genuinely hungry in the past I would have one every week and was always going for spring rolls, sweet and sour or a 4 in 1 never get starters and if I do I share. Amazing how you can change for the best :)

Go EMMA!!!! Miss choc im the same nothing in and just do not have the energy to go buy the food and then cook it.... SW is great i still eat out but the choices i make now are are 100times better and i go for an extra walk to compensate when im bold :). Walking never came into the equation before!!!

Dair wrote: »
    Go EMMA!!!! Miss choc im the same nothing in and just do not have the energy to go buy the food and then cook it.... SW is great i still eat out but the choices i make now are are 100times better and i go for an extra walk to compensate when im bold :). Walking never came into the equation before!!!

I don't like to deny myself foods, but the vending machine has been a disaster for me lately, so i think it was the best decision.

sometimes having mugshots or some rice cakes

my other trigger food was multipacks

so I've ended up spending a little more money on buying individual packs, but it's working for me so far :)

glad you're doing well :)

I don't like to deny myself food either but sometimes I think that the syn value of something just isn't worth it when you have a full day's worth of eating to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I still can't understand how some people can go through a day with either 3/4 or no syns :eek: I do eat mine there is only so much plain carbs, meat, fruit, veg and mullers you can eat :) I usually get the munchies at 3 and try and have fruit and yogurt sometimes I dont want it every day at 3 I will have a coffee with sweetener and there are biccies in the work kitchen would take a plain one or half a chocolate one (bin the other half) know it's weird but sometimes I just want the sugar/chocolate taste and a few bites satisfies me.

Diet coke chicken and sweet potatoes chips. not enough superfree so had homemade soup to start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm not actually doing SW but I'm intrigued by this Diet Coke chicken...I assume its nice?? Can't get my head around putting diet coke in my dinner :P

misslt wrote: »
    I'm not actually doing SW but I'm intrigued by this Diet Coke chicken...I assume its nice?? Can't get my head around putting diet coke in my dinner :P

It gives it a lovely sweet flavour, it makes lovely sauce. If your not on diet use real coke. I've heard of people doing ham in diet coke have to taste that next.

I added yellow peppers and mushrooms as my veg and was so good.

P.s have you heard of the mushy pea and baked bean curry lol that's another lovely one

Ok so I made a pig of myself and only used 2 syns, just had 3 course meal.

Starter: butternut squash soup
    Main: diet coke chicken and sweet potatoe chips
    Dessert: porridge pancakes ummm

I was mixing ingredients for pancakes for 2mo to have as breakfast but my nearly 3 year old seen me and asked for some now. So split the lot between my mam, myself and herself.

Recipe if anybody wants
    35g porridge (6syns or hexb)
    Muller light yoghurt of choice (I had banana n custard)
    3 eggs
    Bit of sweetener

Mix porridge and yoghurt overnight, in morning add rest of ingredients and fry them.

I used my hand blender to mix as breaks down porridge and I only make small pancakes seems to work best for me.

So easy and I tasty and so filling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

bulmersgal wrote: »
    It gives it a lovely sweet flavour, it makes lovely sauce. If your not on diet use real coke. I've heard of people doing ham in diet coke have to taste that next.

I added yellow peppers and mushrooms as my veg and was so good.

P.s have you heard of the mushy pea and baked bean curry lol that's another lovely one

I am dieting just not following any particular plan!

The curry also intrigued me, it'll definitely be one to consider too! But the idea of beans and mushy peas is odd :p

Maybe I'm just not adventurous enough :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement