Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i joined SW in the new year as my wife has been doing it for about 10 months now and was doing really well, so despite my initial misgivings I signed up in the first week of january.

that was 10 or 11 weeks ago now and not only did i get my 2 stone award last night (2st 2lb, and a 7lb total loss this week!!!) but my wife also got her 5 stone award as well, so we're both pretty chuffed. :)

we've tried every diet going in the past 12 years or so, but despite some success initially with one diet or another, the weight always came back on sooner or later, until now.

all this without really having to make very much effort at all or starve ourselves. we're eating heaps of good food as a proper, well balanced diet that is just as tasty as it ever was when we were eating all the wrong things that were making us fat, except now it's making us thin. what's not to like? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sunnymoon

Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me joining in, I was hoping for some answers seeing as your all more experienced than I at SW.

First of all well done vibe666 that's an amazing loss for both of you.

I'm always on and off diets, I lost three stone previously by myself over 4 years ago but slowly i put a stone and a half back on so i decided to give SW a go. Tbh i just can't believe how much i'm eating, i seem to eating a huge amount of food on slimming world way more than i ever did before, is this normal? i'm on week four and i've lost 8 pounds already so i've about another stone to loose to get to where i was. I'm very active, running 8k twice a week and aerobics twice a week, but i just tore by calf muscle last week and i'm out of action for another three weeks so i'm really worried how this will effect my weight loss!!! :confused:I'm finding it difficult to use my syns apart for using them for alcohol? is it ok to save them all for the weekend? is there any advantage to eating under the syn allowance or will you still loose at the same speed as if your eating them?

Another few questions if your eating all free and superfree food does portion size matter as long it is one third/two thirds? so far i'm eating much bigger portions of food than i ever did and i'm still loosing weight?

Also i've two weddings next week one on Friday, the other on Saturday any advice on how to survive that???

many thanks to all my fellow slimmers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sunnymoon

Hi guys,

I hope you don't mind me joining in, I was hoping for some answers seeing as your all more experienced than I at SW.

I'm always on and off diets, I lost three stone previously by myself over 4 years ago but slowly i put a stone and a half back on so i decided to give SW a go. Tbh i just can't believe how much i'm eating, i seem to eating a huge amount of food on slimming world way more than i ever did before, is this normal? i'm on week four and i've lost 8 pounds already so i've about another stone to loose to get to where i was. I'm very active, running 8k twice a week and aerobics twice a week, but i just tore by calf muscle last week and i'm out of action for another three weeks so i'm really worried how this will effect my weight loss!!! :confused: i'm finding it difficult to use my syns apart for using them for alcohol? is it ok to save them all for the weekend? is there any advantage to eating under the syn allowance or will you still loose at the same speed as if your eating them?

Another few questions if your eating all free and superfree food does portion size matter as long it is one third/two thirds? so far i'm eating much bigger portions of food than i ever did and i'm still loosing weight?

Also i've two weddings next week one on Friday, the other on Saturday any advice on how to survive that???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Down 2lbs this week.Hope to get 3lbs next weigh in,that will get me to my first stone award :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Well done all a great feeling. I made my target last night down 1st 12lbs I just want to get down 5lbs and I will be the weight I was for my wedding :) it's also a great feeling when you drop two dress sizes. It's a great plan and I combine the body magic with it and it does work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

yep...if you're eating too much you're doing it right :D our consultant says as long as you have a third superfree you can eat what you like.

well done Mr and Mrs vibe ...that's amazing.

miss choc thats great work!

Down a pound....not as great as last week but a loss is a loss. Going away next weekend so I booked a holiday day. oh its so hard not to run riot coz I'm not goin back for 2 weeks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

sunnymoon wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm always on and off diets, I lost three stone previously by myself over 4 years ago but slowly i put a stone and a half back on so i decided to give SW a go. Tbh i just can't believe how much i'm eating, i seem to eating a huge amount of food on slimming world way more than i ever did before, is this normal? i'm on week four and i've lost 8 pounds already so i've about another stone to loose to get to where i was. I'm very active, running 8k twice a week and aerobics twice a week, but i just tore by calf muscle last week and i'm out of action for another three weeks so i'm really worried how this will effect my weight loss!!! :confused: i'm finding it difficult to use my syns apart for using them for alcohol? is it ok to save them all for the weekend? is there any advantage to eating under the syn allowance or will you still loose at the same speed as if your eating them?

Hi sunnymoon, welcome to the SW forum :)
    In answer to your questions:

Tbh i just can't believe how much i'm eating, i seem to eating a huge amount of food on slimming world way more than i ever did before, is this normal?

Yes and no. If you stick to the 1/3 superfree everytime you eat then that means you are following the plan and will inevitably bulk out what you're eating if you're adding extra veg or a massive salad to a dish you wouldn't have normally. I do still think however that it's good to still keep an eye on portions as it's not healthy either to be of the mindset "Oh I can eat as much pasta as I want now" and end up pigging out. So yes, you can eat lots and finish a meal very satisfied but the SW premise is to eat "until full" and not overfull.

I'm very active, running 8k twice a week and aerobics twice a week, but i just tore by calf muscle last week and i'm out of action for another three weeks so i'm really worried how this will effect my weight loss!!!

You POOR thing. I don't want you to feel even worse but if you are used to doing lots of exercise and suddenly stop then you really need to be careful with food and portion sizes. I too enjoy a decent dinner but I know I can because I exercise five times a week. I know there was two weeks I didn't exercise on the plan and I lost nothing whatsoever. The plan works best when you're enjoying regular exercise. Could you do some upper body strength training while laying low? Or how about swimming? I say this because you'll still see losses with some gentle exercise but not necessarily without. Hope you recover soon.

i'm finding it difficult to use my syns apart for using them for alcohol? is it ok to save them all for the weekend? is there any advantage to eating under the syn allowance or will you still loose at the same speed as if your eating them?

You are recommended to use a very minimum of 5 Syns a day - not using them impedes weightloss apparently so best to use some every day. You can save your Syns for the weekend although I prefer not to. I usually have 10-15 every day (normally closer to 15 :o) and then FlexiSyn a night out every couple of weeks rather than having a mad blow-out. Whatever works tbh - if you've lost 8lbs over 4 weeks then obviously the plan is working for you. You do definitely need to eat at least a minimum of 5 Syns daily though.

FlexiSyn both these days in order to avoid the guilts or feeling terrible. FlexiSynning is where you go to an event/meal out/night out and allocate yourself a certain number of Syns for the day. 60-70 is a reasonable figure. Go for healthy starters like fish or salad-based dishes (dressing on the side) Avoid anything done in sauce/pan-fried or done in oil or heavy dressings. Where possible ask for your food to be grilled/poached/roasted. Ask for accompaniments on the side. Ask for vegetables without butter. Avoid bread with soup. I'd advise you to read up on the book you were given when you joined to familiarize yourself with what options are healthy when eating out and what are not. Also try and stick to drinks like vodka and slimlines rather than calorie-laden cocktails or champagne. Above all, have a good time. Life doesn't stop because you want to lose a few pounds, it's all about making healthy choices or allowing yourself a night off and being able to get right back on the diet horse the next day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Right I'm drawing a line under the last I don't know how man weeks and starting again.

The last month has been a disaster - I don't know what I was thinking. I am now 2lb lighter than I was on the 1st of January, and 8lb heavier than I was at the end of January! I just can't seem to focus at all. It's 8.5 weeks to my holidays (which is a 2 week cruise so I'll definitely put on weight!) so I need to get my rear in gear.

I want to lose 22lb before I go on holidays - that would make me almost a stone lighter than I've been in I don't know how long. I know I can do it, I just need to cop myself on

Good woman for getting back on the saddle, sounds like you've lost the run of yourself a little bit.

Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, you are aiming for 3lbs a week between now and your holidays which is a pretty big task. I would seriously recommend you set yourself a Body Magic Gold challenge which is 8 weeks of exercising five times a week. If you want to get those results then I reckon committing to the Body Magic challenge will be just the thing to help you get there! I'm not sure how much exercise you do already but if you've let that slide as well then really upping the exercise will help.

It's in the Food Diary section of the website. Best of luck!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Merkin wrote: »
    Good woman for getting back on the saddle, sounds like you've lost the run of yourself a little bit.

Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, you are aiming for 3lbs a week between now and your holidays which is a pretty big task. I would seriously recommend you set yourself a Body Magic Gold challenge which is 8 weeks of exercising five times a week. If you want to get those results then I reckon committing to the Body Magic challenge will be just the thing to help you get there! I'm not sure how much exercise you do already but if you've let that slide as well then really upping the exercise will help.

It's in the Food Diary section of the website. Best of luck!! :)

Thanks!! I have a LOT to lose so should be achievable. I'm going to sign up for the Darkness into Light 5k walk which is the week before I go on holidays so that'll give me something to work towards in terms of exercise as well

• Advertisement

Thanks!! I have a LOT to lose so should be achievable. I'm going to sign up for the Darkness into Light 5k walk which is the week before I go on holidays so that'll give me something to work towards in terms of exercise as well

If you train from now until then for it then you will have no bother I'd say - I reckon you have to exercise for SW to work well, for me anyway. Keep us posted! x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

So after my weekend away I stayed the same. It's going to catch me next week so started afresh tonight, done my shop, have food diary am in middle of batch cooking or the week. Booked my holidays for August and I want this last stone gone by June!

I'm sick to death of sts and slowly losing last 8 weeks been brutal for me but not any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I will not eat rings around myself...I will stick to plan....I will not eat rings around myself

finding it a bit of a struggle this week :o

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Me too Hannibal, WI later and i know im up, have a flu/chest infestion and want my comfort food :( plus no exercise as its really drained me of all my energy. On the positive ive been sleeping alot so food not as bad as it could be, but im eating lozengers and there not sugar free :(

ME TOO!! 2 lbs in 5 wks!! way too slow and i will be devasted if i have it back on this week :(
    [I'm sick to death of sts and slowly losing last 8 weeks been brutal for me but not any more[/QUOTE]

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Angel delight you're not alone. I've totally fallen off the wagon too the last few weeks. I've had a few things on but a bit annoyed at myself for losing the run of it. I've got my weigh in tonight so from first thing tomorrow I'm back at it 100%

Dair wrote: »
    Me too Hannibal, WI later and i know im up, have a flu/chest infestion and want my comfort food :( plus no exercise as its really drained me of all my energy. On the positive ive been sleeping alot so food not as bad as it could be, but im eating lozengers and there not sugar free :(

You might be surprised Dair, try and keep the faith. I was ill with the same last week and comfort ate/didn't have the same level of exercise but still lost a pound. Try and think of all the stuff you're NOT eating and think of all the great improvements you HAVE made. Go easy on yourself. If you stick with the plan you will see results x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Just half a pound down this week, not the best but at least it down & not up I supoose. Gonna really try hard this week as the last 2 weeks haven't been great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Greetings from sunny Fuerteventura. Slimming world is taking a hike all week. Woooo!

Jammy bastard :pac: have a great holiday!

• Advertisement

2lbs down this evening which I'm very pleased with. :D Just 2lb off my stone award now and I am due to get my Gold Body Magic challenge award next week too so hopefully will achieve both!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mharper

Had my weigh in today and I was down 2lb which meant I got my 2 stone award absolutely delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I was doing well before Christmas over 4 stone gone but since then I have being yo -yoing with more up's than down. This week was up 3 lbs but I was out Saturday night. I drank a lot and had a takeaway, I have not had this type of night out in ages. I also had a few take away's this week and I can't seem to stay away from choclate and crisps.
    Did anyone here lose a lot and get stuck or was going up/down for a period of time.
    How did you get over it?
    I did a big shopping yesterday and plan to do a lot of cooking tomorrow to have lunches and dinner ready.
    Can any one tell me what slimming world meals are nice as I am willing to try and do anything at this stage. I have a few things on in the summer and I want to buy nice things for these.

Merkin and Mharper well done to you both!! Fantastic losses there! Merkin hopefully next week will be your week for awards and Mharper well done on getting yours! I got my 1&1/2 stone award tonight. Shocked and thrilled. Can't believe it. But I'm back on track now thank god!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Well done everyone on their losses! :)
    I was down half lb tonight, FINALLY got my half stone :)

1/2 up but im ok, i havent exercised since monday as i have been sick, still miserable but trying to be good foodwise. fingers crossed i can get rid of the dose and lose the 1/2 for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

okiss wrote: »
    I was doing well before Christmas over 4 stone gone but since then I have being yo -yoing with more up's than down. This week was up 3 lbs but I was out Saturday night. I drank a lot and had a takeaway, I have not had this type of night out in ages. I also had a few take away's this week and I can't seem to stay away from choclate and crisps.
    Did anyone here lose a lot and get stuck or was going up/down for a period of time.
    How did you get over it?
    I did a big shopping yesterday and plan to do a lot of cooking tomorrow to have lunches and dinner ready.
    Can any one tell me what slimming world meals are nice as I am willing to try and do anything at this stage. I have a few things on in the summer and I want to buy nice things for these.
    I lost over 4 stone upto Xmas Eve but have struggled since - up and down, on and off. Any which way but the way I should be.
    I am now following SW "rules" but have no grain, potato, sugar 5 days a week - eg breakfast bacon , tom and mushroom, lunch soup and salad, dinner - curry/chilli/stir fry with cauliflower rice. Bit of really dark choc as syns as needed or rhubarb in orange juice with low fat organic yoghurt. Snacks - fruit ( usually - one banana, berries and an orange ). The other 2 days I have treats - toast, porridge, SW chips, wine at the end of the 2 days I quite look forward to cutting back again. Appetite much more under control than when I snack on crackers, chips etc. Lost 4lb in last 3 weeks (Paddy's week drink fest was a sts) - hoping for 1 1/2lb this week.
    Frittata are a great pre made quick and easy breakfast/brunch/lunch - one does me 4/5 days or can freeze half. I love the cauliflower based curry with chicken, chilli with loads of veg instead of kidney beans with cauliflower rice, roast chicken dinner (use carcass to make a huge chicken and veg soup). That would be a week of dinners for me - Sunday (cooking day) roast chicken, make chilli and curry. Day 1 - Roast Chicken dinner Day 2 - curry and cauliflower rice Day 3 - chilli with sweet potato - Day 4 - curry with butternut squash. Day 5 - Chunky Chicken and Vegetable Soup (use leftover cauli, sweet potato and butternut squash as well as onions, carrots and celery) Day 6 - Chilli with whatever is hanging around or in a wrap Day 7 - Chunky Chicken and Vegetable Soup.
    I only buy crisps, biscuits, sweets etc on a as I need them for the kids - don't fill the cupboards with the crap and you can't eat it. Don't even go into the bit of the supermarket anymore.

okiss wrote: »

I'm not being funny but with that amount of overeating then you're lucky to have gotten away with a mere 3lbs gain.

Have you spoken to your Consultant? They are trained to help and guide and it sounds like you have lost your way in a big way.

There is no magic wand other than to try and stick to plan 100%, up your superspeedy foods and get as much exercise in as possible. Take aways as you know are a big no-no. Fine if you're on plan and you get a low Syn option periodically but not a few times in one week.

You have been able to lose 4 whole stone which is a lot of weight so think back to what you did on your most successful weeks (hopefully you can consult old food diaries in this regard) and then copy those meals now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

New to the thread and Sw! WI this evening and lost 4.5 lbs so delighted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Went of plan this week and I am up 2.5. Could have been worse. I am still down overall.

So its back to eating melons for me and I am going to try the scan bran challenge?

Has anyone else here tried it. I am kind of looking forward to it now to be honest.

One question on the slimming world app is there a food diary?Like to track your a and b and superfree etc. I am using theslimmingworld 2.0 one but is there anything better out there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement