Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daatc

Friend of mine is going to slimming world previously shed gone to WW price is similar but she's lost loads of weight and there's lots more to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Baby75 wrote: »
    Just wondering how does Slimming world work, how much are classes etc, Im doing well with WW lost 21 pounds I do like the program Im losing slow and steady and Im ok with that as Im feeding a baby, but my leader is not the best at all,she never remembers Im feeding and today told me I needed to track better to lose more weight :cool: any information would be great!

I've done ww in the past and am in slimming world now, but in the UK. I think it costs €9 a week in Ireland or €7.50 a week if you pay for the 6 or 12 weeks in advance. In slimming world you don't count points for most foods so it's similar to the healthy and filling plan in ww. I prefer slimming world, but I think whichever one you go to you need a good leader. If you stay with ww would it be possible to find another class with a different leader near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭agrif06

Katrina101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am new to the forum, just wanted to say this thread has helped me decide to join SW. I joined online last night and am looking forward to losing some weight!!
    Just wanted to know, is it possible to save some of your daily syns allowance to use at the weekend. I would like to save 5 syns per day, to have a bottle of wine at the weekend, is this allowed? I am worried it will slow /stop the weight loss.
    Thanks for your feedback!! Good luck to all for your net weigh in!!
    Thanks,
    Kat

You can have "flexible syns" for special occasions without having to save syns from previous days.

From the website:

Many people put themselves under appalling pressure without even realising it. The scenario can vary tremendously in content but the process is the same.

The scenario is all too familiar and goes something like this: There we are, bounding along, being incredibly 'good', losing weight well, when along comes temptation and we let that iron control slip - just a little. We're so disappointed that we tell ourselves we've spoiled everything, we've 'blown' it. We continue to 'blow' it [might as well, now we've ruined our perfect run] for days or even weeks. Result - significant weight gain, significant damage to our self-esteem, significant reinforcement of our belief that we're useless at this slimming game.At Slimming World, we have a wonderful eating plan, it's called Food Optimising. You can eat loads of food and lose weight. There's a list as long as your arm of what we call Free Food - different foods that you can eat freely to satisfy your appetite. Then we ask you to eat some more food, called Healthy Extras, to ensure a good nutritional balance. Then, on top of all that, there's what we humorously call Syns - foods often banned on diets because they're quite fattening. Between 10 and 15 Syns is about the recommended amount a day for someone who's two to three stones overweight [you can have more if you have more to lose]. This helps you lose weight at a good and sensible rate, say a couple of pounds a week.

In other words, it's a way of eating that can be adopted quite naturally as a way to eat for life. It's a way of eating that you can feel so comfortable with that it's no hardship to adopt it for good. It's a way of eating that slim people do as a matter of course and they've never even tried Food Optimising!

The point I'm making is that it's a super way of losing weight and keeping it off. However, there are times when those usual Syns just aren't enough. Certainly, you could eat out or go to a party and stick rigidly to your Syns, but you may find yourself feeling just a touch deprived, like a martyr. And that's when trouble can start. So what's the alternative? Flexibility!
    Slim people overeat occasionally and don't worry about it. They carry on with their normal routine as soon as they're able. Or they adjust what they eat beforehand. Or they compensate afterwards. Slimmers can do the same - and it works.

Most slimmers are happy with the idea of cutting down beforehand or compensating afterwards. Maybe that's because they can see the logic of it, or because they feel they must 'pay' or suffer for their pleasures. But at Slimming World we don't believe in suffering! We take flexibility much further: we believe that sometimes flexibility means doubling or even trebling your Syns for the day - without paying!
    Ask a dedicated slimmer to be really flexible - to have maybe 30 Syns for a day, without compensating before or after - and you'll often see a look of shock and disbelief.

But trust me, the most common reason for failure I've found has been lack of flexibility. Over-rigid adherence to any slimming plan has been the ultimate cause of many a slimmer's downfall. That's when 'diet' becomes a four-letter word. That's when that weight that you swore you would never regain comes creeping back.

Remember the scenario I described earlier? Now imagine, when you've 'blown' it, how many extra Syns (or calories) you actually ate. You probably have no idea because you stopped counting. And you stopped counting the next day, and the next... We're now talking hundreds of extra calories (or Syns) - hundreds! That's when the real weight loss damage is done, not by just allowing yourself a bit of extra leeway - say an extra 20 Syns or so - but by giving up for a week or a month or a year.

We often see people who take the fast route, the motorway to slimming success, and end up so exhausted at the end of their journey that they relapse. Those who take the scenic route still reach their destination, maybe a little later, but they've had a much more pleasant journey and are in great spirits to continue. So, be kind to the most important person you know - you.

Every now and then, ease the pressure on yourself. How much and how often? You decide. Try it out. Give yourself an extra allowance when you need it most, negotiate an upper limit with yourself - even if it's just a stressful day - and you'll also be giving yourself a real chance of success, for life. Just keep counting - and stick to your upper limit - you can count on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

agrif06 wrote: »
    I've done ww in the past and am in slimming world now, but in the UK. I think it costs €9 a week in Ireland or €7.50 a week if you pay for the 6 or 12 weeks in advance. In slimming world you don't count points for most foods so it's similar to the healthy and filling plan in ww. I prefer slimming world, but I think whichever one you go to you need a good leader. If you stay with ww would it be possible to find another class with a different leader near you?

I am looking in to it, my friend was going to join next week with me, so finding out better times and classes
    Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some suggestions here as I'm having a bit of a brain-fart moment...

When I come in from work in the evenings, I want some quick and filling so have been having a toasted rasher and egg sandwich or spaghetti on toast, with fruit.
    But I'd like to get away from having bread every day for my hex b....I'm also convinced I'm giving off a slight smoky bacon whiff as I'm having so much :p

What else could I do??

I normally use my hex a during a big lunch at work, and I don't really like (my) omelettes so I'm lost after that :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Katrina101 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am new to the forum, just wanted to say this thread has helped me decide to join SW. I joined online last night and am looking forward to losing some weight!!
    Just wanted to know, is it possible to save some of your daily syns allowance to use at the weekend. I would like to save 5 syns per day, to have a bottle of wine at the weekend, is this allowed? I am worried it will slow /stop the weight loss.
    Thanks for your feedback!! Good luck to all for your net weigh in!!
    Thanks,
    Kat
    b

hey kat!! you can save your syns for a weekend but to be honest if you binge its not really the point of it. i find if i do it like that, i tend to have a few drinks and then i tend to get a takeaway. congrats on joining though!! keep us posted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

The Niece wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some suggestions here as I'm having a bit of a brain-fart moment...

When I come in from work in the evenings, I want some quick and filling so have been having a toasted rasher and egg sandwich or spaghetti on toast, with fruit.
    But I'd like to get away from having bread every day for my hex b....I'm also convinced I'm giving off a slight smoky bacon whiff as I'm having so much :p

What else could I do??

I normally use my hex a during a big lunch at work, and I don't really like (my) omelettes so I'm lost after that :confused:

how about having some pasta pre made? you could add in some tomato sauce with veggies and have it all done. all you would have to do is pop it in the microwave. thats what i usually do. I also try and have some rice with spices and veg maybe put by so i could also microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭polly27

hi all i am new to this and new to sw. was down four and a half in my first week but feel i wont do as well next week, can anyone give me some sample menus of what to eat and what i should be syning? eg if i have porridge for breakfast and patatoes for dinner do i have to syn the patatoes or if i have pasta is that to be syned, heres to the new skinny us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

all veg and rice and pasta are free... make sure to weigh your porridge and measure your milk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Ok I am having renewed determination here. Starting a new job and will be given uniforms am afraid mine wont fit and I will need a bigger size. Its amazing what fear will do for a diet!!

• Advertisement

thanks whelan1. can you tell me if you have mince with a pasta sauce and veg do you have to syn the sauce and how many syns would be in a jar of pasta sauce?

polly27 wrote: »
    thanks whelan1. can you tell me if you have mince with a pasta sauce and veg do you have to syn the sauce and how many syns would be in a jar of pasta sauce?
    lean mince, make your own sauce with passata, tomato puree, herbs etc which are all free... dont use jars of sauce they are full of syns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭robo

Been in SW for 3 weeks and love it, well I mean more than WW. It is more doable and you can eat out. I found the website to be very helpful, especially their eating out area, where they talk about particular restaurants (Nandos, Pizza Hut, Frankie & Benny's, Milanos etc as well as Chinese, Indian, American diners)

I am the worst in the world for cooking from scratch but find all of the recipes that I have tried so far very easy & cheap ingredients. Just made the Cottage Pie tonight and it was fab - my friend found it a little dry, but you could add more water to it when cooking to wet it up. I have the left overs to bring to work tomorrow for lunch.

The Android app is very helpful on the go - to check how many Syns in stuff, I am using it more than Angry Birds, which is saying a lot!

Keep it up everyone :D

hi robo,

ya im loving sw to have to say was a member of weight watchers but think slimming world is the only way to go, i lost 4 and a half in my first week, weigh in tomorrow and im nervous about it as had few things i shouldnt have had but nothing is going to stop me this year, have a wedding in august and want a least 2 stone gone by then, overall i have 4 stone too loose, this is great to get tips and advice as we are all in the one boat so heres to the new skinny us :)

Good luck tomorrow Polly, but hey if you don't do as well as you think, just come out and do it again, cos you know it will work.
    When I tried WW before, I think the most I lost was 2 lbs in a week, but with this I lost 2.5 lbs in my first week and just find it more natural. Am cutting out bread and butter, but trying to fill my meals with syn-free stuff. It is like back to basics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

1 stone gone :) never ever lost that before! Super free is the key! if you're determined to lose weight Slimming World is the way as far as I'm concerned. Love listening to everyone's weight loss every week. The only ones who don't lose are the ones who either haven't included the superfree with everything or are going out drinking and takeaways at the weekend! Have never eaten so much in my life. Good luck everyone and stick with it!

amtaxi wrote: »
    1 stone gone :) never ever lost that before! Super free is the key! if you're determined to lose weight Slimming World is the way as far as I'm concerned. Love listening to everyone's weight loss every week. The only ones who don't lose are the ones who either haven't included the superfree with everything or are going out drinking and takeaways at the weekend! Have never eaten so much in my life. Good luck everyone and stick with it!
    dont agree with this, i was 100% last week, ran 5k 5 times during the week, no alcohol and was up 2lb... then there where people who where out friday, saturday and sunday that where down 5lb , explain??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wexchick

Hi guys, I joined slimming world last year and done really well, unfortunately due to shift work I found it difficult to make it to the meetings every week and eventually I just lost the run of myself again and am now back at sqaure one!! So I have decided from today that I am starting again, not going to the meetings as I know the same thing will happen but going to do it by myself! looking for support and inspiration and it looks like I have come tothe right place ;)

hi all was down a pound this week. was delighted as didnt think i would be down so thats 5 and a half gone in 2 weeks :) its the best thing i have ever done and you never feel deprived on this as you have such a variety of really tasty food, i agree the key is the superfree foods with every meal. i have fruit after every meal and veg or salad with lunch and dinner and its working,

Whelan1: i agree it is so frustrating to be up after you were so good but i would say just stick with it and let the bad weeks spur you on, i cant explain why this happens but our bodies can go against us when we dont want them too, i am determined that even when i do have a bad week as lets face it we will all have them , that nothing is going to stop me this year , 4 stone to loose and hopefully i will have reached that by xmas , so keep up the good work everyone, we will get there :)

@Polly - well done. Are you hoping to lose 1 and a half next week for the half stone?

@Wexchick - do you use the website? There are great tips & recipes on there? You should have the same day each week and weigh in but post it up here and if we don't see your post of your weight loss, then we will be annoyed at you?

@Whelan - that is annoying but you are doing nothing wrong & hopefully next week, you will have the opposite. Could it have been fat turning to muscle with the running? Btw I am not expert but keep at it ;)

• Advertisement

HI Robo yes i sure am i have one and a half to loose to they to the half stone and it would be great to get it in only three weeks, thanks very much, hope your getting on good , keep up the good work, its all worth it

Well I am HOPING to lose 2 lbs on Thursday for my half stone! Cos I am going away on Saturday and I know it will motivate me to be good with my food. Am walking about 4-5 days a week for about an hour each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭amtaxi

whelan1 wrote: »
    dont agree with this, i was 100% last week, ran 5k 5 times during the week, no alcohol and was up 2lb... then there where people who where out friday, saturday and sunday that where down 5lb , explain??????????

By any chance was it a star week? I have found at my time of the month that I've been up- even when I've been 100%. So don't give up it will show on the scales - perhaps next week. Also it's probably a good idea to measure yourself as sometimes when you're doing alot of exercise it will show as inches not lbs. Dont let a "bad" week put you off even if its hard to listen to everyone elses losses. Try to turn it into a positive i.e. it works because they are losing! Might be an idea to do a food diary for the week in case you're missing something really small that's effecting your loss. But be positive it will work for you :)

no that will be this week:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

So9 havn't lost any weight, but then I havn't ben sticking to the plan. Need to start keeping a food diary again and cop the F on!! Wedding on May bank holiday weekend..end goal is in sight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsGoose

Hi All I just joined Slimming World online and so confussed. Like most here I've tried every diet and I'm hoping this one will be the one that helps me loose weight.

I'm hoping I'll get a little encouragement here, that I need to stay going when the times are tough.

Is anyone else doing it online? I'm trying to figure out the plans and at the moment I'm afraid to eat anything cos I don't understand syns etc... I suppose it's the old ww points system that's confusing me

Love to hear from anyone who's in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MrsGoose

robo wrote: »
    Been in SW for 3 weeks and love it, well I mean more than WW. It is more doable and you can eat out. I found the website to be very helpful, especially their eating out area, where they talk about particular restaurants (Nandos, Pizza Hut, Frankie & Benny's, Milanos etc as well as Chinese, Indian, American diners)

:D

Hi can someone post the link to the eating out area. I'm out for a chinese at the weekend and could do with a little forward planning.

chicken with mushroom and boiled rice is 6 syns... i am blessed that my local chinese has a sw menu, so i can get chinese meals that are syn free or have very few syns in them

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bubsicle

I was up this week. not totally surprised. was out 2 nites last week. one was planned, the second not!

im tryin my best this week but need some dinner inspiration. something quick and easy. am sick of stirfrys. For lunches, I normally cook at the weekends and freeze the meals for dinner. havent had a chance this week so some lunch tips are more than welcome.

I am just a bit bored of my dinners now. normally have stirfrys, curry or sweet and sour. Today i had chicken breast, salad and homemade chips. i know there are recipes on the website but any of ye have some inspiring quick dinner choices! or syn free snacks.
    this week i just dont seem to be able to feel full! ive been tryin to eat loads of fruit and yogurts but they dont seem to take the edge off like they used to!! just having a hungry week!! : (

i just dont want to lose the motivation this week.

• Advertisement

makesome soup... dead easy and really filling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement