Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Justask wrote: »
    Im a slimming world virgin and wondering if I can get some answer's.
    First off I joined up last night and found it all so confusing am I just being thick or will I get used to it?

And if you join can u go to another venue for meeting and weigh ins then the one you joined up with?

Welcome!:)I hope it works well for you.

SW is actually very straightforward. Read the books given to you in the pack and you should have the hang of it in no time. It is important to read them though.

Yes, you can go to any SW meeting in any venue on any week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I found it all a it much at first too...but sooner or later it clicks into place...one third superfree ...two thirds free....just keep to that philosophy and you'll be grand. I have a bag of salad in the fridge and freezer full of veg so I always have a basic superfree option for every meal...and then I only snack on fruit.

I lost 2lbs last night....I've 3.5lbs to go for my 3 stone....I could kill myself and try and go for it....but I'm just gonna relax stick to the basics and hopefully get 1 or 2lbs off and maybe the following week ease into a 3 stone loss. This is all subject of course to no surprise syns sneaking in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I lost 2lbs last night....I've 3.5lbs to go for my 3 stone....I could kill myself and try and go for it....but I'm just gonna relax stick to the basics and hopefully get 1 or 2lbs off and maybe the following week ease into a 3 stone loss. This is all subject of course to no surprise syns sneaking in ;)

That's more or less what I did this week after getting my stone award last week. I took it easy this week & lost half a pound, I could probably have gotten my Club 10 this week but decided to relax for a week or two & then aim for my Club 10 :-)

Hey guys, I've weigh-in later and I'm not looking forward to it. I've just totally lost motivation and have been off plan since last weigh-in. I think it would have been better if I'd put on a pound or two after my Easter naughtiness as at least it might have given me a kick up the bum. Maybe that's what will happen tonight. I've been having lots of wine and just not totting up my Syns and being very laissez faire about it all. Has anyone lost their way a little and come back from it? What did you do to get back on the SW horse and be enthusiastic about it again? :(

Merkin wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've weigh-in later and I'm not looking forward to it. I've just totally lost motivation and have been off plan since last weigh-in. I think it would have been better if I'd put on a pound or two after my Easter naughtiness as at least it might have given me a kick up the bum. Maybe that's what will happen tonight. I've been having lots of wine and just not totting up my Syns and being very laissez faire about it all. Has anyone lost their way a little and come back from it? What did you do to get back on the SW horse and be enthusiastic about it again? :(

Speak out in group later...that's what its for...tell he consultant you've lost motivation...s/he must have come.across it before.

Well done getting your stone.MS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I've been reading my books and its stating to make more sense.

Could I ask are all meetings the names read out weightloss/gain announced and everyone claps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

I'm a disaster since last week had a holiday booked this week as i'm recovering after an operation just been eating out of boredom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Sorry bout all my posts asking Q's but im even more confused now.

The SW leader rang me this evening, this must be done to all new members? Anyway she asked if I was getting on ok and I told her im a bit confused with the books but I'll get there. She asked me was there anything off the top of my head I could think of and I said I didnt understand the syn selection page 55 onwards what was the difference with the orange red and green number and she said only follow the orange that the red was advanced and the green was vegetarian? ?? But there are green syn figures with meat dishes.

And then she said that 20 calories is one syn to count them that way but the free foods and less syn foods have higher calories.

Lost :(

Yeah all the classes go through everyone individually and there's a clap. it takes a bit of getting used to.

The syns....don't worry about the red or the green. they are different plans...the plan you're on is extra easy...so when looking up a syn ignore the red and green numbers...just follow the orange one.

The 20 figure....if you have a food or snack ie chocolate, crisps etc and you want to calculate the syns for it look at the nutritional information on the pack. take the kcal number and divide it by 20 and that will give you the syn amount.

So say you have a bar and its 60 kcal....60 / 20 = 3 syns.

It only works for non free food...so it wouldn't work for say a ready meal or mug shot or anything like that because they have free foods in them.

Hey guys. I lost .5lbs last night (which can only be down to exercise). That's been my only loss in a month and I am only 1.5lbs off losing a stone so I am 100% committed this week and am going to stick to plan and hopefully get my stone award next week.

My C said that it would be an idea to Success Express for two of the next seven days so I will do that to give me a boost. Am totally back on plan now. Going on holidays in three weeks and would love to have a 1/2 stone gone by then. Wine and cheese are banned between now and then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Well done merkin :)

I lost 1.5 lbs so I am thrilled. Only needed .5 to get my club ten so I'm even happier :D now to start working on the next ten :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sierra21

I'm considering joining Slimming World Online.
    The cost is seventy five euro for three months.
    However at the end of the form I fill out online it says to note this is a subscription service and that monthly payments of twenty five euro's will begin on a particular date automatically (after three months is up). It doesn't mention that you can cancel at any point after the three months.
    Does anyone on the list have online membership and could you please advise.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

3.5lb down this week and my lovely wife finally made her target and is now officially a free target member for life (assuming she doesn't stray more than 3lb above or below her target weight). :)

that's almost 3st down for me since new year and almost 6st officially lost on SW in a year and another 1.5st before that in the last 20 months for her, so we're both pretty chuffed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Sierra21 wrote: »
    I'm considering joining Slimming World Online.
    The cost is seventy five euro for three months.
    However at the end of the form I fill out online it says to note this is a subscription service and that monthly payments of twenty five euro's will begin on a particular date automatically (after three months is up). It doesn't mention that you can cancel at any point after the three months.
    Does anyone on the list have online membership and could you please advise.

Thanks

I did it online - after the first 3 months I then got an e-mail about a week before it expired giving me another discount offer to renew for 3 months. After that I mailed them to say I was thinking of joining a class as one had opened near me and they sent me a join for free voucher. Had no hassle at all.

vibe666 wrote: »
    3.5lb down this week and my lovely wife finally made her target and is now officially a free target member for life (assuming she doesn't stray more than 3lb above or below her target weight). :)

that's almost 3st down for me since new year and almost 6st officially lost on SW in a year and another 1.5st before that in the last 20 months for her, so we're both pretty chuffed. :D

That's brilliant. 3 stone since NY is a real achievement. Have you much more to go to target?
    I've revised mine to 10 stone - which will mean a loss of 6 1/2 stone in a year if I hit it before May 27th. 11lb to go & struggling :rolleyes:

well, I'm 6'5" and a smidgen above 20st at the moment and i'm pretty sure i was around the 25st mark before my wife started SW about a year ago, although i can't be sure because it's hard to find scales that go that high and i didn't really want to know if i'm honest. :(

If I can make it to 17st i'd be very happy with that and once i've lost a little more i'll be aiming to do the "couch 2 5k" yoke to get my fitness levels up once all my blubbery bits start jiggling around a little less and i won't be pounding my joints quite so badly with too much extra weight as they were already knackered through playing rugby in my younger years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BmCon

Hi all.

My wife was told 3 months ago she has stage 4 cancer and my god has that changed me. We are only 41.

We now look at all food and the s**t in some food in unbelievable so now we stay away from food which has chemical preservatives in them and go organic as much as we can. Organic feg is so much nicer and same can be said with home made brown bread. We feel much better now and my two cent is; if you want nice stuff like cake, make it yourself. Don't fry! Grill. Drink water as much as you can and live your life as happy as you can.

Wish you all well xx

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

fair play to you and your wife Vibe... what an amazing achievement! And a great inspiration! Well done :)

I have a very, very nasty throat infection so I'm on antibiotics and all i've been eating is ice cream :( I haven't been able to actually drink a glass of water, except to swallow tablets so I know this week is not going to go in my favour but it was completely out of my control :(

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, I'm 6'5" and a smidgen above 20st at the moment and i'm pretty sure i was around the 25st mark before my wife started SW about a year ago, although i can't be sure because it's hard to find scales that go that high and i didn't really want to know if i'm honest. :(

If I can make it to 17st i'd be very happy with that and once i've lost a little more i'll be aiming to do the "couch 2 5k" yoke to get my fitness levels up once all my blubbery bits start jiggling around a little less and i won't be pounding my joints quite so badly with too much extra weight as they were already knackered through playing rugby in my younger years. :)
    Fair play - I've still never made it through all of couch to 5k but I do swim regularly, my knees couldn't take the pounding when I was 16st plus - it's nice and gentle but tones you up great.

Go Vibe and Mrs.Vibe! What amazing results, between you you lost a whole (small) person! Well done!

If you want to ramp things up before target day I hear Success Express is well worth doing for a week or so!

• Advertisement

Oh Jesus...its my eldest's birthday next week...I made a trial run cake yest and it is amazing!!!! chocolate fudge double cream and chocolate icing...it is gorgeous!!!!!! I had to try a wee bit to make sure it was okay and then another little bit and then another and then I had a sliver of a slice after my dinner it was LUSH!!!!!!!! yes all the exclamations are required ;)

normally I wouldn't worry...but I drank a full bottle if wine on Sat night and am pretty sure I have no extra syns left from the week.

Has anyone had their full quota of syns (and perhaps a little extra :o) and still lost? Should I expect to maintain/gain or is there any hope I might get any loss??

(I knew some surprise syns would filter through!!! :D )

I should add I have been running 4 times a week...4k twice and then 2k twice)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I've yet to have a gain & there have been weeks that I definately deserved it so I would say it's possible especially if you've been exercising aswell ;-)

Oh Jesus...its my eldest's birthday next week...I made a trial run cake yest and it is amazing!!!! chocolate fudge double cream and chocolate icing...it is gorgeous!!!!!! I had to try a wee bit to make sure it was okay and then another little bit and then another and then I had a sliver of a slice after my dinner it was LUSH!!!!!!!! yes all the exclamations are required ;)

normally I wouldn't worry...but I drank a full bottle if wine on Sat night and am pretty sure I have no extra syns left from the week.

Has anyone had their full quota of syns (and perhaps a little extra :o) and still lost? Should I expect to maintain/gain or is there any hope I might get any loss??

(I knew some surprise syns would filter through!!! :D )

I should add I have been running 4 times a week...4k twice and then 2k twice)

I don't think a week has ever gone by where I've stuck to my Syns. I'm often double over the allowance. I think if you're eating healthily with lots of Superfree in between the naughtiness and exercising regularly then you should be fine.

I know SW is brilliant but it's all about the exercise for me. No matter how on plan I am if I don't exercise I simply don't lose weight. If I do exercise regularly then I can usually indulge in some wine and/or cake and still lose.

You'll be fine so I wouldn't worry.

The cake sounds DELISH by the way!

Merkin it is sitting in the fridge now and I swear the will power its taking not to stick my snout in it is immense lol. I'm the same I have to exercise or I won't lose.

Great MS its good to hear stories like that:D

Well sure even if I do maintain/gain I know why.

If you want to ramp things up before target day I hear Success Express is well worth doing for a week or so!
    from what i've heard, the reason success express works is because you end up crapping your brains out because of all the fibre! :eek:

i think i can live without that for now, unless i get really desperate further down the line. my wife kept plateauing towards the end and what usually fixed it was a major blowout and then getting back into it, 100% on-plan from then on in and it helped her get over those humps where she wasn't losing for a few weeks in a row.

Down a pound..that'll do ;)

Brilliant! Well done!

Brilliant! Well done!

I had a slice of the cake to celebrate :o

I had a slice of the cake to celebrate :o

Proper order :)

• Advertisement

it's better to lose one than it is to find one! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement