Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

shoes34 wrote: »
    I have recently joined SW (online) and just a littled confused - are the extra easy "A" and "B" syn free as long as you don't go over the recommended amount & then a syn if you do? Also the milk the recommended daily allowance is that also syn free?

Thanks, want to lose 10lbs by Christmas ! :)

Yup that's correct, if you choose milk as one of your health extras then I think you can have 400ml of skimmed milk throughout the day, anything over that has to be syned, I think a dash of milk for your tea is 0.5 syn

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭schadenfreude8

Fiona wrote: »
    Yup that's correct, if you choose milk as one of your health extras then I think you can have 400ml of skimmed milk throughout the day, anything over that has to be syned, I think a dash of milk for your tea is 0.5 syn

its 350ml of skimmed milk:(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 blondie990

Have lost just 2kg since I started. Bit disappointed. It seems very slow.

I'm going to try this week by the rules 100%. I'd say I've gone over my syns by about 5 each day with milk and once or twice i had to use real sugar instead of canderel. I've stocked up in my shopping this week with all the essentials so i'm hoping to report a bigger loss next friday. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

blondie990 wrote: »
    Have lost just 2kg since I started. Bit disappointed. It seems very slow.

I'm going to try this week by the rules 100%. I'd say I've gone over my syns by about 5 each day with milk and once or twice i had to use real sugar instead of canderel. I've stocked up in my shopping this week with all the essentials so i'm hoping to report a bigger loss next friday. Fingers crossed.

Hi im a newbie to this thread but ive been on SW for 5 weeks now. Yeah the trick is to measure your HEX-A's and B's and syn them correctly. You really need to keep the syns between 3-15 a day too. Preparation is also key. I find that I spend less time cooking every week now that im on SW. For instance I made Thai green chicken curry and Spag bol today and ive them frozen. Ive also got soup and arrabiata sauce in the freezer from last week. Im currently doing success express four days on and 3 days off to try and get down a little more before xmas. Watch the sugar as well as we recently found out that some sachets can be 1.5 syns each :O Anyone else trying success express? Or the Super speed challenge? Ive some delicious chinese style recipes for my off days, such as Salt and chilli chicken and ginger and sprin onion chicken if anyone is a chinese lover like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 blondie990

Vodkat wrote: »
    Hi im a newbie to this thread but ive been on SW for 5 weeks now. Yeah the trick is to measure your HEX-A's and B's and syn them correctly. You really need to keep the syns between 3-15 a day too. Preparation is also key. I find that I spend less time cooking every week now that im on SW. For instance I made Thai green chicken curry and Spag bol today and ive them frozen. Ive also got soup and arrabiata sauce in the freezer from last week. Im currently doing success express four days on and 3 days off to try and get down a little more before xmas. Watch the sugar as well as we recently found out that some sachets can be 1.5 syns each :O Anyone else trying success express? Or the Super speed challenge? Ive some delicious chinese style recipes for my off days, such as Salt and chilli chicken and ginger and sprin onion chicken if anyone is a chinese lover like me :)

Yeah I cook everything from scratch myself and freeze portions, have always done so, thankfully I think that's my saving grace when I'm failing elsewhere.

Yeah the sugar was really catching me I think. I would drink 2 cups of coffee in work and 2 sugars in each of them adds up - I have bought a canderel container for work now so hopefully that will put an end to that.

• Advertisement

muffino wrote: »
    Hi there, I am a new poster to boards but have been reading on here for a long time. I am joining Slimming World on Monday and I was just wondering what to expect on the first meeting??

I have a lot of weight to lose, over half my current weight and i have read alot of success stories from people who have gone to SW and lost 16 and 17 stone, which i am very hopeful for :-)

I have also just started a blog tonight as I want to keep a diary and share tips and recipes and stories, and learn from others that have done it and have knowledge in weightloss.

http://iammissdustybin.blogspot.ie/

I have read up about SW and asked people i know that have gone and from what i have found out it really seems to be the one for me! Any info is very much appreciated though. Thank u

the first night is the hardest, but is exciting also. you have a journey ahead of you, you driving so you can set the pace. keep a food diary, i use the website on my phone and , just mark as you go, you will build up a favourites and it makes it simple. if you stick to the plan you will loose weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Went to the cinema today with kids brought a bag of grapes with me and bought a diet coke delighted with myself . Would normally eat a fullything of popcorn

whelan1 wrote: »
    Went to the cinema today with kids brought a bag of grapes with me and bought a diet coke delighted with myself . Would normally eat a fullything of popcorn

It's small things like that that really make the difference!

I had a horrific weekend but I knew it was coming, my boyfriend came to Dublin to visit and we stayed with my Mam plus we had a Halloween party as well.

I have been crippled with heartburn all day as a result so have myself back on plan for tomorrow

Porridge
    Diet coke chicken
    Smoked salmon and salad
    Mullerlight
    Apple, pear, grapes, grapefruit

Sounds all delish!!!

hows every one getting on? i have weigh in tomorrow night

Up half a pound, i am lucky its not more! Gonna have to work very hard next week to get this off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Hi there
    Started 3 weeks ago and have lost 8.5lbs so far. Delighted with myself as had a baby 3 months ago and have a couple of stone to shift.

Just wondering, what's everyones treat? I eat most of my syns on a daily basis but like to have a Chinese takeaway at the weekends - beef in blackbean is good value for syns. Just wondering what others splurge on :D:D

hi guys,

lost 6.5lbs this week:D

i keep syns to a minumum, around 5-10 a day

mrsberries wrote: »
    Hi there
    Started 3 weeks ago and have lost 8.5lbs so far. Delighted with myself as had a baby 3 months ago and have a couple of stone to shift.

Just wondering, what's everyones treat? I eat most of my syns on a daily basis but like to have a Chinese takeaway at the weekends - beef in blackbean is good value for syns. Just wondering what others splurge on :D:D

I mainly use my syns on bread if I have had porridge for breakfast and I was beans on toast for lunch or something like that or else Freddo bar for 5 syns and then the SW rocky road bars for 3 syns are a lifesaver.

I wouldn't drink or go out every weekend so when I do I don't even bother counting syns as it's normally only once or twice a month I do drink unless it's the summer then I would drink more so would need to be a bit more mindful.

Again treats for me at the weekend would be SW chips and dinners like their Jamican chicken or chicken breasts stuffed with garlic, ricotta and herbs. Chinese is only a once in a while treat for me, duck satay and chips - off the syns scale :D:D:D:D
    hi guys,

lost 6.5lbs this week:D

i keep syns to a minumum, around 5-10 a day

Wow that's brilliant fair play!! I am trying to achieve a 3lb loss this week going to be tough but I am going to give it my best shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I joined last week adn was down 1.5lbs , I have only a little bit to lose aroudn 8lbs. I was disappointed i didn't lose more weight as I stuck to the slimming world rules/syns.

shoes34 wrote: »
    I joined last week adn was down 1.5lbs , I have only a little bit to lose aroudn 8lbs. I was disappointed i didn't lose more weight as I stuck to the slimming world rules/syns.

1.5lbs is pretty good, for a week.

was everything syned properly, the first week you can be over cautious and not eat enough, having your A and B choice. etc.

I actually think that SW put a lot of pressure on you to loose a lot in the first week, I would rather loose weight slowly and keep it off then fast and put it all back on!

I actually think that SW put a lot of pressure on you to loose a lot in the first week, I would rather loose weight slowly and keep it off then fast and put it all back on!

yea the first weeks loss is a big thing in group, but i think any loss in any week is given its dues..

got 2lbs down this week, hit my target .:D

Woo fair play!!!!

I got 2lbs off this week and I got my half stone cert I was chuffed to bits.

After being up a half last week I really did work hard to make sure I had a loss but I still had a very small portion of chicken masaman curry for my lunch on Friday and then 4 sausages and white pudding on Sunday morning AND it was star week too.

I still dunno how I managed it I think the grapefruit has a lot of answer for I have been having one a day!

Woo fair play!!!!

I got 2lbs off this week and I got my half stone cert I was chuffed to bits.

After being up a half last week I really did work hard to make sure I had a loss but I still had a very small portion of chicken masaman curry for my lunch on Friday and then 4 sausages and white pudding on Sunday morning AND it was star week too.

I still dunno how I managed it I think the grapefruit has a lot of answer for I have been having one a day!

i have had at least 5 grapefruit a week since i started, they are great.
    i try to steer away from standard fruit and stock up on superspeed fruits.

i wanted to put my awards up, very proud of them !!!

I am not jealous at all!!!!!!!!!!

Wow some achievement!!!! I have put my cert on the wall so I can see it everyday to keep me motivated.

I am not a fan of standard fruit either, well only bananas, I love melon, pinapple, cherries, and peaches!

• Advertisement

I am not jealous at all!!!!!!!!!!

Wow some achievement!!!! I have put my cert on the wall so I can see it everyday to keep me motivated.

I am not a fan of standard fruit either, well only bananas, I love melon, pinapple, cherries, and peaches!

thanks it been a crazy 10 months on this plan

i love bananas, but find them heavy, water melon is great, lasts nearly a week and dont have that heavy feeling

I love anything banana, especially the mullerlight banana yogurts!

i have had at least 5 grapefruit a week since i started, they are great.
    i try to steer away from standard fruit and stock up on superspeed fruits.

i wanted to put my awards up, very proud of them !!!
    wow well done

down 2lbs, have lost 10lbs in 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I'm so glad this thread exists! I joined last night and it's my first time doing anything like this. I have seen great success in 2 friends but this is very inspiring too. Ye all seem to be doing great. I'm just a wee bit daunted today. Finding it hard to figure out exactly what I can eat, so maybe some of you experiences and knowledgable folk could help?
    Should I be aiming to to have an a and b choice every day and some syns? And kind of confused looking up the syn value of some stuff eg. Glenisk low fat organic natural yogurt it says it's 1 syn, does that mean the whole pot or a portion? Same with the online menus, if the recipe says serves 4 and it's 4 syns is that per portion? So of you ate half it would be 2 syns? Sorry for long post!
    Thanks skimmers, Penny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Usually the app will give you weights. So the yoghurt you're talking about if the book or app says 1 syn for say 200 grams and the pot is 200 grams...then yes, it's one syn for the whole pot. If the pot is 500 grams then obviously its one and a half times that.

The recipes online, you'll see itll say serves say 4 people and itll be the syn value given per portion.

And yeah you have your healthy extras plus your syns.

Relax and enjoy the plan you can eat so much anf lose weight.

Finally got my 5 stone yay!!! Thats me targety done and me in a size 10 double yay!!! Its gonna be a sparktacukor Christmas round here ;):D

Penny I kinda just stick to the Mullerlight yogurts as I know that most of them are all syn free.

Hannibal congrats :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Thanks for your replies, I feel like it's going to take a couple of weeks to get used to this! Congratulations Hannibal that's amazing!! :)

How many syns do you reckon would be a in standard vanilla Johnnie cup cake?

I just inhaled one :o

I do have a 5k walk planned after work so not feeling too guilty about eating it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I joined last Wednesday.

Got off to a great start, I love cooking so trying out the new recipes and knowing they were all free made me feel even better.

Was away for the weekend and with Guinness being the lowest in Syns, that's what I stuck with. The hotel we were in actually had SW foods too so I ate well the next day. Back into it last night and cooked up the SW Carbonara which I adore.

Having the Jalfrezi tonight.

I've actually started flavouring my food an awful lot more since I started doing this.

Target is two stone. so really looking forward to Wednesday night ! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement