Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

You're not supposed to carry over syns if you're following the plan strictly, I however do as I have a bit of a blow out on a Saturday night as that's my weekly treat & use my excess syns for that.
    It seems to be working so far as a I've lost 2st 9lbs in less then a year & just 5lbs left to my ultimate target :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I managed to lose 4 over Christmas! Yayyyyyy!

Hello,
    I am new to the plan. I am more into Unislim but SW is closer to where I work so it's easier to get to. So my main question is- can I carry over syns? Do I get a max of 15 each day? I can't find this in the book & I find the plan a lot more complicated that Unislim.. I hope someone can help me as I don't see myself lasting more than a few weeks if I don't get the hang of it quick.:confused:

You can but you're not meant to because you shouldn't be depriving yourself of anything. In saying that, I stock pile mine for beer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Stockpile for beer- that's my plan too he he. There seems to be a lot of support online & from your leader too. Is the App any good? I had a quick look at it but it's hard to tell until I try it out a bit more.

Stockpile for beer- that's my plan too he he. There seems to be a lot of support online & from your leader too. Is the App any good? I had a quick look at it but it's hard to tell until I try it out a bit more.

Recipies could be updated more but it's spot on for syns! Really handy and up to date. Foods change often so do their syns.

If you're male then you also get 25 syns. I find it hard to hit my syns though so that's a lot to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Well, after losing 4.5 stone in 2012. I let it all slip this year. rejoined last summer but my heart wasn't in it and at that stage was up a stone... so back I go this week and guess what up 16lb pounds. Can't say I am surprised as my clothes are sowed onto me. Pissed off but I will get over it and tomorrow is a fresh start.

Any getting back on track tips more than welcome.

• Advertisement

Well, after losing 4.5 stone in 2012. I let it all slip this year. rejoined last summer but my heart wasn't in it and at that stage was up a stone... so back I go this week and guess what up 16lb pounds. Can't say I am surprised as my clothes are sowed onto me. Pissed off but I will get over it and tomorrow is a fresh start.

Any getting back on track tips more than welcome.

Mind me asking what parts you let slip?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

wha wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried that the fact I only had 5 days since first weigh-in AND that the last one was a morning weight and now it's going to be after a full day of eating, that I won't get a loss, so I'm being extra careful and not going over 9 syns a day. Hopefully I'll even get a pound or two off.

Half a pound down! Not great, but considering the reasons I mentioned before, it's not too bad. And my leader said that there's a pound difference between morning and evening weigh ins, so TECHNICALLY I lost 1.5... sort of :o

This weekend I have my first time eating out on SW. What do people think would be the best veggie option off this menu?? Everything seems to be quite high in syns so any advice or thoughts are appreciated! : http://oddbar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Odd_Menu_Nov_13.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Hi all! Anyone mind if I join this little thread? :)
    I've been to WW in the past, worked for me for a while but my interest always went by the way side eventually :( And I always felt a bit hungry...
    Anyway, heard a lot of good things about SW recently so I bit the bullet and joined last week. Got a slap in the face when I looked down at her scales and saw what weight I had become :(
    First Weigh In tonight and I had 6 pounds off - very happy with myself and most importantly, during the week I hardly felt a bit hungry or deprived like I have done in the past. :)
    Could this be the thing for me at last? - Hope so! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iamaiamai

twirlagig wrote: »
    Hi all! Anyone mind if I join this little thread? :)
    I've been to WW in the past, worked for me for a while but my interest always went by the way side eventually :( And I always felt a bit hungry...
    Anyway, heard a lot of good things about SW recently so I bit the bullet and joined last week. Got a slap in the face when I looked down at her scales and saw what weight I had become :(
    First Weigh In tonight and I had 6 pounds off - very happy with myself and most importantly, during the week I hardly felt a bit hungry or deprived like I have done in the past. :)

Wow! What a fantastic first week!!! Any hints or tips? Did you fit in much exercise in the horrid weather?

Also! Did you find it hard to get used to the programme? I've been really successful with WW before but I'm trying Slimming World because there are so many people around me doing so well with it - and they are NOT suffering!!!

I also happened upon this blog when I was looking for tumblr fitspiration - little did I know it was an Irish girl doing Slimming World! What are the chances, eh? Thought some here might be interested!

http://ahealthynewbeginning.tumblr.com/

She's endorsement enough for me :D

iamaiamai wrote: »
    Wow! What a fantastic first week!!! Any hints or tips? Did you fit in much exercise in the horrid weather?

Also! Did you find it hard to get used to the programme? I've been really successful with WW before but I'm trying Slimming World because there are so many people around me doing so well with it - and they are NOT suffering!!!

I also happened upon this blog when I was looking for tumblr fitspiration - little did I know it was an Irish girl doing Slimming World! What are the chances, eh? Thought some here might be interested!

http://ahealthynewbeginning.tumblr.com/

She's endorsement enough for me :D

Thank you :) I was pleased with my loss alright.
    No major hints or tips - I just tried to stick as best to the guidelines as possible. Never ate as much fruit in my life! :D And, I'm eating breakfast for the first time in years!
    When I think of the crap I was eating pre this, I HAD TO have a good loss tonight - full fat Mayo (about a jar a week - the big one! :O ), bags of crisps (my addiction), taco chips every other evening, sausage rolls, bars, oh and toast - alot of it - on thick white bread with butter! :(
    Really hoping it works for me and have to say I'm feeling a lot more in control than with previous diets :)

• Advertisement

Thank you :) I was pleased with my loss alright.
    No major hints or tips - I just tried to stick as best to the guidelines as possible. Never ate as much fruit in my life! :D And, I'm eating breakfast for the first time in years!
    When I think of the crap I was eating pre this, I HAD TO have a good loss tonight - full fat Mayo (about a jar a week - the big one! :O ), bags of crisps (my addiction), taco chips every other evening, sausage rolls, bars, oh and toast - alot of it - on thick white bread with butter! :(
    Really hoping it works for me and have to say I'm feeling a lot more in control than with previous diets :)

I'm terrrible for mayo and real butter. I think i'll be practically cutting out both because I've never found a spread or extra lite mayo that i liked.

It's sad to say but I am actually looking forward to starting tomorrow. I'm absolutely sick of junk. I tried to do the "last hurrah" thing over the last few days and I'm not even in the mood for chocolate or crisps tonight. I'm just DONE! I don't care if i never see a pack of crisps again.

I should bookmark this post so look back on in 3 months time and see if I stuck to being sick of crisps! :D

I'm terrrible for mayo and real butter. I think i'll be practically cutting out both because I've never found a spread or extra lite mayo that i liked.

It's sad to say but I am actually looking forward to starting tomorrow. I'm absolutely sick of junk. I tried to do the "last hurrah" thing over the last few days and I'm not even in the mood for chocolate or crisps tonight. I'm just DONE! I don't care if i never see a pack of crisps again.

I should bookmark this post so look back on in 3 months time and see if I stuck to being sick of crisps! :D

Best of Luck tomorrow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Starlight28

Hi all.
    Hope its ok to join this tread im new here and new to SW only started last night. Was alot to take in but think I have my head round it now.:)

wha wrote: »
    This weekend I have my first time eating out on SW. What do people think would be the best veggie option off this menu?? Everything seems to be quite high in syns so any advice or thoughts are appreciated! : http://oddbar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Odd_Menu_Nov_13.pdf
    Are you fixed to where you're going? A lot of my local resturaunts now have Slimming World menus and even the local chipper has Syn free chips !!!!
    very happy with myself and most importantly, during the week I hardly felt a bit hungry or deprived like I have done in the past. :)
    Well done and congrats ! What a great first week ! :)

You're not meant to feel hungry ! There is so much that you can eat so if you ever do feel peckish, don't deprive yourself !

Well done for your first week ! That's really good ! :)
    Hi all.
    Hope its ok to join this tread im new here and new to SW only started last night. Was alot to take in but think I have my head round it now.:)
    You're very welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭schadenfreude8

been a while since i posted..

I was really worried going into december,i was a new target memebr and the thought of all the nights out and food put the he be je bees into me.

i did not weigh in xmas eve so the new years was my main one after christmas, was up 3.5 lbs , but still in my target.
    last week lost that 3.5lbs. I am now at the lost weight i can be at my target and plan to try and keep it as close as posible to that.

I dont 'flexi syn' and rarly go over 10 syns, it works for me..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Starlight28

I was in Tesco and Dunnes today but both are sold out of the Fry Light. Can anyone recommend an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

Hello Hello!!

Delighted to find this thread. I am new to SW and attended my first meeting this week.

A bit about me:
    I have previously been a lifetime on/off WW getting stones off and then putting it all back on again! I lost 5+ stone a couple of years ago and was super fit (doing triathlons etc.) but a good chunk of this has gone back on again. Meeting the love of my life (and now husband) I think had a large part to play in this, meals out weekends away etc. I don't regret any of it for a minute and take full responsibility for where I now find myself.

Why Slimming World?
    Back in 2012 my mother in-law who lives in the UK lost a whopping 10 stone with SW and while she did put a little bit back on last year she has rejoined again now and is doing well.

I have to say I am really loving the extra easy programme and think it's great that you can eat as much fruit and veg as you like, including potatoes!! I have high hopes for this programme and think it will really suit me.

If I come across any good tips & recipes I would be more than happy to share them here and will be keen to follow everyone's progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Hi all.

Welcome :) I'm a newbie too, only here since November. Lots of handy tips around here

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jorona

I joined SW 2 months now. I lost 6 pounds in my first week and continue to lose each week between 1 and 2 and a half pounds. I have reach my first stone in about 7 weeks. I am still on my journey and I am enjoying it. I love the variety of foods and the support of SW. I also think the option of making your own target it brilliant. Our consultant is very friendly; helpful and also on the same journey with us which helps too. So woohoo SW!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

So I made these Syn free pancakes this morning and was really impressed. I had them with lemon juice and bit of extra sweetener. I imagine they would be delicious with yogurt and fruit but Unfortunately I haven't done a big shop since joining so didn't have anything else to put on them!

So I read that that regular "low fat" Duneen Yogurts Aldi are syn free!?!? I checked this out on the SW web page too and it says the same. My mum gets these all the time and I know they are quite nice - so I guess I'm going to Aldi for my shop this week!

A quick question if anyone knows the answer - is free fruit still 'free' if you make a smoothie out if it?

Have a great weekend & happy slimming folks!
    N2T

• Advertisement

new2tri wrote: »
    So I read that that regular "low fat" Duneen Yogurts Aldi are syn free!?!? I checked this out on the SW web page too and it says the same. My mum gets these all the time and I know they are quite nice - so I guess I'm going to Aldi for my shop this week!

A quick question if anyone knows the answer - is free fruit still 'free' if you make a smoothie out if it?

Those pancakes look good !

Yeah, Duneen Fat Free are free and VERY tasty. I buy about three sleeves a week and love them! I've actually replaced my breakfast with them. Got no satisfaction except bloating out of porridge.

Fruit and smoothies is a no no.

When you mix the fruit they release sugars which have to be synned.

Fruit on it's own is free but fruit in a smoothie isn't basically.

Took me a while to get my head around that !

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

I just started SW on Thursday. .. can I ask 2 questions. If I use milk in a pasta n sauce is must that be synd if I already used my HEa.

Also would anyone know how many Syns are in a Knorr Pasteria Mushroom?

I have 30 lbs to loose.. hope to loose it all thus year... am I dreaming?

Awwwwfook wrote: »
    I just started SW on Thursday. .. can I ask 2 questions. If I use milk in a pasta n sauce is must that be synd if I already used my HEa.

I hope your not dreaming because I'm hoping to do that in about 6 months! I joined in the middle of November and I'm 17lbs down so far so I think its achievable! Just stick to plan as best as possible and I find the super speeds like melon and grapefruit amazing. Good luck :)

I lost 30lbs in 5.5 months so it's definately do-able!! ;)

The milk has to be synned if you've used your a.

The knorr pasteria is about 3 per 100g

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I lost 30lbs in 5.5 months so it's definately do-able!! ;)

Wow! Congrats that's amazing. Do you mind of I ask did you do a lot of exercise?

PennyWren wrote: »
    Wow! Congrats that's amazing. Do you mind of I ask did you do a lot of exercise?

Moderately, I love to walk so I do that as much as possible but I'm no gym bunny & I'd die if I'd to run for a bus lol!!!:D

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Moderately, I love to walk so I do that as much as possible but I'm no gym bunny & I'd die if I'd to run for a bus lol!!!:D

Good to know, thanks. Not that I have a problem with exercise I was just wondering if my losses will start to slow down to nothing In a couple weeks and I'll have to spend hours in the gym.

Quick Question!

I had my first meeting this week but missed the New Members talk :(

I'm not sure how many syns I should be aiming for? It says "ask your consultant" in my book.

Yesterday I had 9 syns.. today I've had 11.5.

Does it depend on my weight? How could I look this up?

I think I could easily not eat syns - but I read somewhere here (i think?) that it's important to eat them.

• Advertisement

Quick Question!

I had my first meeting this week but missed the New Members talk :(

I'm not sure how many syns I should be aiming for? It says "ask your consultant" in my book.

Yesterday I had 9 syns.. today I've had 11.5.

Does it depend on my weight? How could I look this up?

I think I could easily not eat syns - but I read somewhere here (i think?) that it's important to eat them.
    15 for females and 25 for males

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement