Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Awwwwfook

Down 4.5lbs. Delighted. No exercise so must get a few walks in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Awwwwfook wrote: »
    Down 4.5lbs. Delighted. No exercise so must get a few walks in next week.

Whats the take on exercise ?

I did a fair bit over the weekend in fairness but didn't see a lot in loss.

One of the girls beside me last night did a lot of running and our consultant said that the muscle build up would be responsible for the lack of weight loss.

Would a few runs or walks a week not help with the stripping off of fat and muscle build up from a run not be minimal in terms of weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

It's not muscle build up it's the fluid retention from the damage you will do to your muscles. See some losses through food only first, then gradually build in exercise that you're going to maintain as part of your life. You will see your weight loss plateau during the first couple of weeks and then it will accelerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

MugMugs wrote: »
    Whats the take on exercise ?

I did a fair bit over the weekend in fairness but didn't see a lot in loss.

One of the girls beside me last night did a lot of running and our consultant said that the muscle build up would be responsible for the lack of weight loss.

Would a few runs or walks a week not help with the stripping off of fat and muscle build up from a run not be minimal in terms of weight?

Running is cardio, cardio doesn't build muscle. It can actually prevent you from building muscle if your body decides to take your energy from muscle rather than fat or glycogen. Bodybuilders generally avoid cardio for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Awwwwfook wrote: »
    Wow well done!! How long are you doing SW.

Thanks so much! I'm super happy and feeling good this week(although I was out for dinner last night and had a few glasses of wine!) but now all the clothes I was too fat for fit! I feel like my real loss will start from here as I've been this weight before. I joined in the middle of November and I've been absolutely loving it!

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    So I had my first weigh in tonight and was down 4lbs. Aiming for the same next week :)

Great start, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Hi everyone :)

A newbie have just joined since Wednesday, really felt like it was joining a family when I was there.

Just trying to get through the books now and planning my meals for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Magenta wrote: »
    Running is cardio, cardio doesn't build muscle. It can actually prevent you from building muscle if your body decides to take your energy from muscle rather than fat or glycogen. Bodybuilders generally avoid cardio for this reason.

I'm intrigued. Well I got itchy feet so went back running tonight. Planning on getting three in before my next weigh in. Interested to see how it goes!

Hi everyone :)

A newbie have just joined since Wednesday, really felt like it was joining a family when I was there.

Just trying to get through the books now and planning my meals for the week.
    Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I was out today and had lunch/dinner I was craving pasta and had ravioli in tomato sauce with salad. I've a feeling it would be synned cos all stuffed pastas probably are. I guess all those pastas in the chilled cabinet in Tesco, Lidi etc are synned too.
    How can you tell if the restaurant is using dried or fresh pasta?? If I ask waiter they will probably say it's fresh as they have a reputation but to be honest I would prefer it dried pasta. Dont want to limit myself to steak and chicken in an Italian I love my pasta :lvs Does anyone know of restaurants/cafe in Dublin that do the fresh pasta so I could avoid them even better if they do dry pasta so I can eat in them. All those holidays in Italy the restaurants serving all that fresh pasta yum :eek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Can anyone explain this to me? I have used 10 syns a day but I am going out tomorrow night so I'd like a few drinkies. Can I use the 5 syns per day that I didn't use?? on top of tomorrows 15?

And also a seperate query: Would you lose weight if you eat the 15 syns a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

miss choc wrote: »
    I was out today and had lunch/dinner I was craving pasta and had ravioli in tomato sauce with salad. I've a feeling it would be synned cos all stuffed pastas probably are. I guess all those pastas in the chilled cabinet in Tesco, Lidi etc are synned too.
    How can you tell if the restaurant is using dried or fresh pasta?? If I ask waiter they will probably say it's fresh as they have a reputation but to be honest I would prefer it dried pasta. Dont want to limit myself to steak and chicken in an Italian I love my pasta :lvs Does anyone know of restaurants/cafe in Dublin that do the fresh pasta so I could avoid them even better if they do dry pasta so I can eat in them. All those holidays in Italy the restaurants serving all that fresh pasta yum :eek

All fresh pasta has to be synned because of the oils that are used in it's making I read somewhere recently.
    Can anyone explain this to me? I have used 10 syns a day but I am going out tomorrow night so I'd like a few drinkies. Can I use the 5 syns per day that I didn't use?? on top of tomorrows 15?

And also a seperate query: Would you lose weight if you eat the 15 syns a day?

Yes it is possible to eat 5 syns per day and loose weight.
    They say you are not mean to carry syns over but if I know I have a night out planned then I try to limit myself to 10 syns per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Fiona wrote: »

Yes it is possible to eat 5 syns per day and loose weight.
    They say you are not mean to carry syns over but if I know I have a night out planned then I try to limit myself to 10 syns per day.

Lovely thank you. I ate no Syns a day or 2 and 15 twice so I'll be a little bit bold tomorrow night & then extra good on Sunday & Monday. Moderation :)

Flexible Syns (in our group anyway) means if you have a night off just get back on the program the next day. I have 10 - 20 Syns per day and am steadily losing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mojo1988

Hey everybody,

I'm new to SW (only started last Wednesday) My friend started it 4 months ago and so far has lost over 2 and a half stone!!! So needless to say I'm jumping on the bandwagon :-) Just wondering what everyone does excersise-wise? One lady at the SW meeting told me about ' 30 day shred ' I'm on day 3 of it now,and it's tough. The body is feeling it,which is a good thing. Excersise wasn't really mention in my first meeting,so just looking for a bit of guidance really :-)

mojo1988 wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

I'm new to SW (only started last Wednesday) My friend started it 4 months ago and so far has lost over 2 and a half stone!!! So needless to say I'm jumping on the bandwagon :-) Just wondering what everyone does excersise-wise? One lady at the SW meeting told me about ' 30 day shred ' I'm on day 3 of it now,and it's tough. The body is feeling it,which is a good thing. Excersise wasn't really mention in my first meeting,so just looking for a bit of guidance really :-)

I do no exercise, down 2 stone in roughly 3 months.

Hey everybody,

So far I've been doing no exercise and I've lost 1 1/2 stone in about 8 weeks. I'm putting off the inevitability of exercise until my losing slows down through diet alone.

That's amazing ladies!!! It's just so hard to believe there's a diet out there, where you can eat potatoes and pasta,and still get amazing results!! I'll be bricking it for my first weight in :-)

That's amazing ladies!!! It's just so hard to believe there's a diet out there, where you can eat potatoes and pasta,and still get amazing results!! I'll be bricking it for my first weight in :-)

Ladies comment aside as last time I was sitting here scratching my balls I was a fat bloke, you're cutting out almost all the fat and drastically reducing your carb intake unless you're pasta/potato mad.

I don't think I've eaten a slice of bread in six weeks and my alcohol intake is way down. All worth it as I'm always full, loving the food and not missing the beer that much.

Bepolite wrote: »
    Ladies comment aside as last time I was sitting here scratching my balls I was a fat bloke, you're cutting out almost all the fat and drastically reducing your carb intake unless you're pasta/potato mad.

I don't think I've eaten a slice of bread in six weeks and my alcohol intake is way down. All worth it as I'm always full, loving the food and not missing the beer that much.

Ha! I was just going to say I think there is quite a few guys clocking up great losses too! It is amazing and I have been eating bread, nearly everyday. I love my sandwiches for lunch but even with that I'm still losing. I feel that soon it will stop being so easy and I'll have to start exercising but that's to be expected

• Advertisement

That was very presumptuous of me, I sincerely apologize :-) It's great to see and hear about a diet that seems to work. Roll on Wednesday :-)

That was very presumptuous of me, I sincerely apologize :-) It's great to see and hear about a diet that seems to work. Roll on Wednesday :-)

I'm not offended - it's 99% women that attend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

Hi guys, love this diet feel extremely full, no cravings and lost 8 1/2 lbs my first wk, have my next weigh in tomorrow. I don't feel much lighter this wk but have done 2 spinning classes and 2 workouts and followed diet religiously so hoping for another good loss. x

• Registered Users Posts: 42 new2tri

Hi guys, love this diet feel extremely full, no cravings and lost 8 1/2 lbs my first wk, have my next weigh in tomorrow. I don't feel much lighter this wk but have done 2 spinning classes and 2 workouts and followed diet religiously so hoping for another good loss. x

Good luck prettyinpink! I have my 2nd weigh-in tonight too but not very optimistic. TOM and a bit of a wobble food wise at the weekend. If I stay the same as last week (6LB down) I'll be a happy bunny. Looking forward to a better week this week.

Something I felt needed saying; don't expect 3-7lb losses every week. Your first week or two are going to be great losses and then it's going to slow down. The point is to make permanent changes that mean you lose weight and keep it off.

Frankly it's not healthy to be losing more than 2lb a week on a consistent basis and with SW you won't once you normalise to the diet. I'm seeing huge amounts of enthusiasm here and that great but it's better to edge in slowly, understanding the diet and doing a small amount of extra exercise than going all guns blazing and quitting after a month or two.

This is a long term change and don't do anything you're not going to stick to.

Just my 2 cents.

PS Also be aware that exercise may well impede your weight loss for the first while. Your muscles will retain fluid. I'm not saying don't do it, your fitness levels will thank you but go easy and make permanent changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I have my second weigh in tomorrow night. Lost 4lb last week but not sure how this one is going to go. I had a Chinese last week and went a bit mad, have been great since that but I hopped up on my own scales(I know I shouldn't) and I'm half a pound up!!!:( could one take away mess up a whole week???

Gee_G wrote: »
    I have my second weigh in tomorrow night. Lost 4lb last week but not sure how this one is going to go. I had a Chinese last week and went a bit mad, have been great since that but I hopped up on my own scales(I know I shouldn't) and I'm half a pound up!!!:( could one take away mess up a whole week???

Maybe, it depends how you're engaging with the rest of the diet. It could be you're making mistakes, run your food intake by the group, simple things like eating the wrong yogurts can be a problem.

Also it very much depends on when you weigh yourself, you will vary quite a bit during the day. Added to that the SW scales are proper calibrated scales, my bathroom scales tell me I'm a different weight depending on where my feet are!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

I have lapsed on slimming world for about a month - when i rejoin do I have to pay a rejoining fee or I also have a voucher from a magazine that is in date till the 3rd of February can I use this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Bepolite wrote: »
    Maybe, it depends how you're engaging with the rest of the diet. It could be you're making mistakes, run your food intake by the group, simple things like eating the wrong yogurts can be a problem.

Also it very much depends on when you weigh yourself, you will vary quite a bit during the day. Added to that the SW scales are proper calibrated scales, my bathroom scales tell me I'm a different weight depending on where my feet are!

This is my third attempt at slimming world and I can honestly say this is the first time I fully understand the whole free, super free, superspeed thing. I am measuring my milk, not eating out of place at all. (And i dont like yogurts :) )Maybe the take away can do that much damage! Will see tomorrow anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Dreading WI tomorrow night. I went on a bit of a tear Friday night - drank far too much and ate loads of crisps! :(
    Been extremely good since so would be happy with a STS, fingers crossed! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement