Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Was away the weekend and had dinner out and some treats dreading the weigh in now Wednesday! Hopefully the zumba tomorrow night will help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Week one is going pretty good so far. I was visiting home for the weekend and we went out for carvery dinner which wasn't ideal really but other than that, I've been finding it really easy to stick to.
    Can I ask, do you have to use your syns? I've been finding that I'm able to stick to super free and free foods and not really interested in having syns so haven't been using them. There were 3 days this week where I had no syns at all (and one where I went waaaaaay over) but when it says "between 5 and 15" should I be trying to have at least 5?

I've also found that my appetite isn't as big as it was when I was eating processed food. I'm not as hungry as I was and have no interest in snacking between meals other than a bit of fruit here and there.

It's only week one so I'm sure it'll change lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

I've done ww and unislim before without much luck, and started SW the end of Jan.

I find SW much easier to follow, it's much less complicated and I know what's free and what's not. It's more about what you CAN eat than what you can't.

It takes the guilt away from eating, and the feeling of failure I experienced with U/S and WW.

I do cook from scratch but it's not costing me any time, in fact I feel I am more organised when it comes to dinners in the evening, I work full time and have young children. What I cook for me, everybody eats.

I am very happy with this programme

Also to add, I find I need to cook from scratch with Slimming World because as mentioned, most processed food is high in Syns and just not worth it. But I am finding, less than a week in, that I already have more energy.

I also do batch cooks where I have enough for a few days so I might need to cook one evening and not again for another day or two.

It does take organisation. It's important to have the right food in the house to prevent you from picking at the wrong foods. And a meal planner is a good idea too so that you have the right ingredients bought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Well I was thinking of joining this week but if there is a lot of cooking from scratch I really don't have the time for it...

I have a 3 year old and get home late of an evening and have my dinner at my dad's.

• Advertisement

What do you normally eat when you come in from work?

Spag Bol is a big hit in our house, and now instead of using a jar of sauce bought from the shop I just throw in a tin of tomatoes and a carton of passatta and it's done as quick.

For a stir fry you can buy the prepared veg in Aldi and Super valu so it's only a case of frying off the chicken and cooking the noodles

The curry is lovely too and is just the meat fried off and a tin of tomatoes added with curry powder and some veg thrown in.

I use frozen veg for a lot of my dinners now because time doesn't allow me to be preparing veg all evening.

It is do-able.

If you have dinner at your Dad's eat the meat, potatoes and veg, don't put butter on your potatoes and syn your gravy / sauces

If it works in my house it can work in any house!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

pinkstars wrote: »
    Thanks for the info!! So there is not much of having to cook from scratch? I couldn't be dealing with that at the moment, I don't have a lot of time on my hands.

To be fair. It takes about five minutes extra to cook from scratch than it does to open a jar.

Give it a try. There's a definite sense of acheivment :)

MugMugs wrote: »
    To be fair. It takes about five minutes extra to cook from scratch than it does to open a jar.

Give it a try. There's a definite sense of acheivment :)

You are so right!!!

Anne Other wrote: »
    What do you normally eat when you come in from work?

Spag Bol is a big hit in our house, and now instead of using a jar of sauce bought from the shop I just throw in a tin of tomatoes and a carton of passatta and it's done as quick.

For a stir fry you can buy the prepared veg in Aldi and Super valu so it's only a case of frying off the chicken and cooking the noodles

The curry is lovely too and is just the meat fried off and a tin of tomatoes added with curry powder and some veg thrown in.

I use frozen veg for a lot of my dinners now because time doesn't allow me to be preparing veg all evening.

It is do-able.

If you have dinner at your Dad's eat the meat, potatoes and veg, don't put butter on your potatoes and syn your gravy / sauces

If it works in my house it can work in any house!!!

Perfect, once stir frys work it is sounding easier!

Looking forward to my first class tonight. I was following Motivation for the last few months and was having brussel sprouts, brocolli and chicken most nights for dinner!!

Oh would love if someone gave me a run down of how the class works also!!

• Advertisement

Oh would love if someone gave me a run down of how the class works also!!

I started last week so when everyone else was weighing in, the leader had a group with just the newbies to go through the plan and introduce themselves etc.

Then I signed up, paid and weighed in.
    Then the class started and she went through the overall group weightloss and each persons individual loss/gain and we chatted about how to make it easier or where people had succeeded or were struggling.

They did the awards then. Slimmer of the week and slimmer of the month, the half stone and 10% weight loss awards etc and then we went home.

You go in, pay, queue and get weighed.

Class starts after that, our leader goes through everybody at class and asks how their week went, it is great for picking up tips but I find I don't always have time to stay to it.

There is tea / coffee and water available at our class to avail of which is lovely and friendly, and this is what I also notice, the class is very friendly and supportive, more so than the ww class I had been in before, but maybe that was the particular leader I had.

I find it very relaxing and not at all like I am on a diet, it's more of a relearning how to eat.

You will also get a member number which you can use to access an online group and SW app which is handy for recipes, finding out how many syns are in items and for tracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Has anyone tried the Apple Betty dessert on the slimming world website? It looks lovely but I'm wondering would it be okay to freeze?

I got my first stone certificate at yesterday's class.......I never, ever got to a stone without losing interest and motivation for any other weight loss class before.

I love the freedom with SW.

I had a small bag of chipper chips to celebrate ( I had my 15syns to use anyway) and I am back to it again today.

Exercise has been a no go so far this week but I am hoping I can fit that into my schedule today.

I love Slimming World!!!

I love Slimming World!!!

I take it you joined then:D

First weigh in tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm back on SW after a year off (wife was preggers, so she stopped). I've serious back problems at the moment and missed last week because of spinal injections in the hospital, but made it last night and i'd lost 10lb in the 2 weeks, so that's pretty good! :)

I lost 3 stone on it in 3 months last time and my wife lost 1.5st in the 6 months between having our first child and when she started and then another 5.5st on SW (in a year) AND got to her target 3 days before she found out she was pregnant again. :)

I know you can do SW when pregnant, but she didn't think she'd manage it with the cravings, so we just agreed to go back on it once the baby was born.

anyway, we're both back in the SW saddle now and she also lost 9.5lb in the last 2 weeks too, so almost 20lb between us in our first 2 weeks back and that's with absolutely zero exercise because of my back. :D

Best of luck.

I started the end of Jan , I had a few weeks whereby the kids were sick, life got difficult and I lost my mo-jo to be "good" but since being on the wagon in earnest I have found it so easy, and not limiting!

Well done Vibe

• Advertisement

I take it you joined then:D

Yes, it's the first time I feel so great about starting a programme. It sounds great. I hope it is as good as it sounds!!!

Just wondering 2 wholemeal toast would be counted as my healthy b, and then I syn the butter??

Thanks. X

my best advice on how to do well with SW is don't waste your syns on treats (i.e. mars bars, crisps etc.) spend them on flavour to make your everyday food as tasty as possible so you don't feel like you're on a diet and pretty soon it will become a way of life.

plan your meals for the week ahead and, prep, prep, prep!

we always do best when we make it easy to eat and snack well. make a big fresh fruit salad that will do you a good few days. all your favourite fruit in one place that's quick and easy to dish up once it's prepped.

same with regular salad. pick a drawer in your fridge (jamie oliver pro-tip) wash and spin a heap of salad leaves, pat them dry and lay them in the fridge drawer lined with tea towels and the leaves will stay fresh for up to a week. also chop up spring onions, cucumber (cut in half and slide a teaspoon along the length to remove the wet seedy bit), chop tomatoes (and remove the wet seedy bit), beetroot, peppers, etc. (basically whatever you like), making a point of removing the wettest bits were possible (and saving them, it's all flavour) as with the toms and cucumber. leave that in a bowl covered with clingfilm and you're all set to be able to make a lovely salad in 2 minutes flat.

feel free to keep all the juicy bits and add to whatever fat free dressing you normally use, remember it's all about the flavour. :)

protein is what fills you quickest, so have plenty of wafer thin ham or chopped cooked chicken handy for throwing into salads with minimal fuss and keep low or syn free dressings (shop bought is fine). you should be able to prep a weeks worth of salad and fruit salad in about an hour and it will save you a lot of prep time later in the week.

i'm not a big fan on the muller lights even though they're very popular in SW, the only time i ever use them is the greek coconut one as a coconut milk substitute in a curry. i'd much rather spend one or two syns on a decent yoghurt and really enjoy it. our favourite way to use fruit salad is to throw some in a bowl,put some yoghurt on top and then break up and sprinkle a meringue nest (3 syns) on top for a low syn eaton mess. :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    my best advice on how to do well with SW is don't waste your syns on treats (i.e. mars bars, crisps etc.) spend them on flavour to make your everyday food as tasty as possible so you don't feel like you're on a diet and pretty soon it will become a way of life.

plan your meals for the week ahead and, prep, prep, prep!

we always do best when we make it easy to eat and snack well. make a big fresh fruit salad that will do you a good few days. all your favourite fruit in one place that's quick and easy to dish up once it's prepped.

same with regular salad. pick a drawer in your fridge (jamie oliver pro-tip) wash and spin a heap of salad leaves, pat them dry and lay them in the fridge drawer lined with tea towels and the leaves will stay fresh for up to a week. also chop up spring onions, cucumber (cut in half and slide a teaspoon along the length to remove the wet seedy bit), chop tomatoes (and remove the wet seedy bit), beetroot, peppers, etc. (basically whatever you like), making a point of removing the wettest bits were possible (and saving them, it's all flavour) as with the toms and cucumber. leave that in a bowl covered with clingfilm and you're all set to be able to make a lovely salad in 2 minutes flat.

feel free to keep all the juicy bits and add to whatever fat free dressing you normally use, remember it's all about the flavour. :)

protein is what fills you quickest, so have plenty of wafer thin ham or chopped cooked chicken handy for throwing into salads with minimal fuss and keep low or syn free dressings (shop bought is fine). you should be able to prep a weeks worth of salad and fruit salad in about an hour and it will save you a lot of prep time later in the week.

i'm not a big fan on the muller lights even though they're very popular in SW, the only time i ever use them is the greek coconut one as a coconut milk substitute in a curry. i'd much rather spend one or two syns on a decent yoghurt and really enjoy it. our favourite way to use fruit salad is to throw some in a bowl,put some yoghurt on top and then break up and sprinkle a meringue nest (3 syns) on top for a low syn eaton mess. :)

Great tips above!
    Thanks ~ I never thought of removing the wet bits from the salad:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

My first couple of weeks I was using all syns on treats. This week I've been using them mostly for things like extra milk/cheese, mayo, ketchup etc and I definitely think it's a better way to use them. I'm still going to have the occasional sweet treat but the majority of syns are going to be used on proper food and extra flavor from now on

Great tips above!
    Thanks ~ I never thought of removing the wet bits from the salad:D
    it just stops it going soggy and you can add it back in with the dressing when you serve the salad.

also, keeping all the non-leaf bits separate stops all the leaves from going soggy and it's easy to just grab a handful of bits to throw onto the leaves then when you need to make a salad and all the ingredients will stay prepped and ready to eat, but still fresh. :)

just had a healthy fry for brekkie too! :)

mallons low fat sausages (syn free) cooked from frozen to stop them drying out too much, lidl gammon with fat removed and cut into strips, chucked into the tefal actifry with some mushrooms with a tiny spray of oil.

a tin of beans with a tablespoon of bbq sauce in them for flavour (allow 1 syn per tbspn)

small punnet of whole cherry toms with a small spray of oil tossed in a frying pan until they start to blacken and the skin splits, then 1-2 tbspns of balsamic vinegar (syn free). they are lovely and sweet and very tasty.

with regards to cooking with oils, i (like most people) originally used the frylite but i found that it ruined my frying pans, so i checked the syn value of oils (most are 2 syns per tablespoon) and a tablespoon is 17.75ml give or take.

i got one of those pump spray oils and measured how how many pumps i could get by pointing it into a 5ml syringe and pumping and for this particular pump (you mileage will vary) i was amazed to find that i could do 30 sprays for 5ml of oil, which was more than enough to coat a whole 28cm frying pan.

now i just buy stir fry oil and used that to re-fill my pump spray and it does me for just about everything and adds that all important flavour element at no extra syn cost. :)

anyway, all in all, i used less than one syn of vegetable oil between the two of us in the actifry and the pan and another syn in the bbq sauce for the beans and the whole hting was delicious, it just about got inhaled and you'd never know it was 'diet' food! :D

vibe666 wrote: »

and you'd never know it was 'diet' food! :D

This is what I love most about slimming world, none of it seems like diet food, and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Does anyone know the syn value of these new Shape 0% pineapple and coconut flavours?

http://livedanone.co.uk/blog/health_and_fitness/pineapple-and-coconut-flavour-shape

All the other fruit 0% ones are free, but these aren't on the website and I've made the mistake of guessing syns for yoghurts before!

Oh and just weight it at 2 pounds down! With last weeks 1.5, that is the most I've ever lost in two consecutive weeks :D

What syn free yogurts can be bought?

• Advertisement

What syn free yogurts can be bought?

minimins is probably the best source of info about syn values and they also have a thread with a list of popular yoghurts as well: http://www.minimins.com/syn-values/121314-syn-free-yoghurts.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement