Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I joined online last year but never really got into it. I find the weigh in and the tips and motivation from class essential to keep me going.

But everyone is different. Personally I need the class but others might not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TiggerBounce

Hey all,

I'm going to my first slimming world meeting next Monday. Been thinking about it for a while...I jog and use weights but lately I keep putting on weight and don't know why as my diet and lifestyle haven't changed.

Put on a lot of weight three years ago when expecting my son- almost four and a half stone, lost almost all the weight within 5 months but in the last six months I can't seem to level off at all!

Used to be 8 and a half stone and am now 10 and a half which I know isn't overweight but this is the largest I've been when not pregnant-my sis in law lose 4 stone in slimming world and has kept it off without having to starve herself at all. I hope it works cos I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong unless I'm literally eating in my sleep!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I'm also starting back up again...just need to find a class on the right day. Have put on 10 - 14 lbs over the past few months due to lack of time for exercise and diet planning. Im finished college soon enough for the year so can start to focus again. I'm really disgusted at myself at the moment..feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. I also seen some photos of myself at the weekend and they made me :(:mad::(:mad:.

I have just been looking at one thing, I could never understand how you could eat a chinese a day if you wanted (i.e. Beef with Black bean etc ..yet something like an avocado that I know is really good for you in 14 syns? Doesnt make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Greenduck wrote: »
    I have just been looking at one thing, I could never understand how you could eat a chinese a day if you wanted (i.e. Beef with Black bean etc ..yet something like an avocado that I know is really good for you in 14 syns? Doesnt make any sense.

I think the issue here is that there's a difference between healthy eating and actively seeking to loose weight. Avocados are healthy. They are high in calories though and fat. Even though it's considered to be good fat, you have to create a calorie deficit in order to loose weight. Avocados aren't going to help you to achieve this which is why they have such a high syn value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Lost 1 and a half tonight and have another 1 and a half to go to get my 2 stone can't wait to get that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Lost 3 pounds tonight! I'm a little bit in shock... that's the most I've ever lost in a week :D

One pound to my stone award so I'm determined to get in next week. I'll throw in a few success express meals (2/3 super free) to give myself a little boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Starlight28

I lost 2 1/2 pounds last night which I'm delighted about but has anyone ever been weighed in and thought it was wrong. I checked on my own scales (which is normally the same as the groups one) and I had only lost a pound. I also checked on the scales in work and that's coming up that I only lost a pound. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining if its right just wanted to know if this ever happened to anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

Well done to all you losers!

It will be 4 weeks since my last offical weigh in next week so I am hoping for a loss too.

I am tracking like a mad thing, but am going out for dinner at the weekend and I am hoping I can make healthy choices..........any advice for eating out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I lost 2 1/2 pounds last night which I'm delighted about but has anyone ever been weighed in and thought it was wrong. I checked on my own scales (which is normally the same as the groups one) and I had only lost a pound. I also checked on the scales in work and that's coming up that I only lost a pound. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining if its right just wanted to know if this ever happened to anyone else.

Not sure about slimming world but I know weight watchers tell u not to weigh yourself at home as it won't be the same! I weigh differently on my scales, my sisters scales and slimming world!!:)

I lost 3lb last night... Delighted

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    Not sure about slimming world but I know weight watchers tell u not to weigh yourself at home as it won't be the same! I weigh differently on my scales, my sisters scales and slimming world!!:)

I lost 3lb last night... Delighted

Well done Gee_G.
    Yea your probably right. I should just enjoy it and stay away from the scales at home. Haven't lost that much in 1 week in ages. Just don't want to be disappointed next week if it was wrong and I have a gain.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TiggerBounce

Whiplashy wrote: »
    I think the issue here is that there's a difference between healthy eating and actively seeking to loose weight. Avocados are healthy. They are high in calories though and fat. Even though it's considered to be good fat, you have to create a calorie deficit in order to loose weight. Avocados aren't going to help you to achieve this which is why they have such a high syn value.

How great to know about the things we thought were low calorie but aren't? I think that's where I went wrong-eating foods I thought were healthy but not realising how calorific they are....plus would rather eat a chinese than an avocado for sure! Lol! ;)

I use my scales at home as a guideline, I weigh myself on it in the morning of SW and then gague my week by whether that is up or down, but I take the SW scales reading as verbatim because I presume their scales have to be calibrated whereas mine can be used for weighing and as a step for the small one to reach my things that are out of reach, and I am sure her hopping up and down doesn't help my scales!

Anne Other wrote: »
    I use my scales at home as a guideline, I weigh myself on it in the morning of SW and then gague my week by whether that is up or down, but I take the SW scales reading as verbatim because I presume their scales have to be calibrated whereas mine can be used for weighing and as a step for the small one to reach my things that are out of reach, and I am sure her hopping up and down doesn't help my scales!

Normally my scales at home are the same as SW. I know I shouldn't weigh myself at home but I like to know before I go to group. This week is the 1st time its was wrong. Mine must be broke or something. I'll go by SW from now on. :):P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Hi all,

I'm kicking around the idea of the online membership as I need something to give me a kick start.

It looks like I only get the books if I go for the gold membership, is that right? I assume you get *something* with the food lists on the bronze and silver ones?!

Was down half a pound this week. Better than up but I'm a bit disappointed. Having said that I'm down 12.5pounds in total and that's only been my 4th weigh in so not bad really.

Really going for it this week to get the stone.

misslt wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm kicking around the idea of the online membership as I need something to give me a kick start.

It looks like I only get the books if I go for the gold membership, is that right? I assume you get *something* with the food lists on the bronze and silver ones?!

I must look into the online membership too, but I wonder if it's sort of similar to what I am doing when I'm not going to class, following the programme (when I'm good:P) weighing in and using an online forum for advice and tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Hi everyone we have a taster night in our class next week anybody got any ideas of what I could do?

Hi everyone we have a taster night in our class next week anybody got any ideas of what I could do?

We had one recently and there were a couple of curries, syn free trifle and syn free minestrone soup.

There was also little tea cake things that were 3 syns each and we all agreed it wasn't worth it.

There was also little bowls of crisps. The walkers baked and tayto lfc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

I'm a bit lazy re baking prefer cooking but some of the girls used to do lovely scan bran or weetabix cake, I used to do cous cous in stock with roasted peppers, onions and feta cheese. Could do cold rice or pasta dishes mixed with veges, spices and low fat fromage frais/quark or jellies made with 2 pkt of sugar free jelly 2 pkts geletine and half pint water and let set in mould lot of people just bring fruit and diet drinks if new dont have to be a brilliant cook :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Had my weigh in today, was down 11 pounds, unbelievable, worked incredibly hard, got my 6 stone award. So thrilled.

Congratulations dobbs, you must be ecstatic!

Just bought some bras a cup and band size smaller, plus a dress and some undies all down a size. Hoooray!!! What a lovely feeling :D

Hope everyone's having a great week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

wha wrote: »
    Just bought some bras a cup and band size smaller, plus a dress and some undies all down a size. Hoooray!!! What a lovely feeling :D

Hope everyone's having a great week!

Brilliant!! Well done you! I haven't gotten to that stage yet but hoping this week to hit my 1 stone!:)

Gee_G wrote: »
    Brilliant!! Well done you! I haven't gotten to that stage yet but hoping this week to hit my 1 stone!:)

Thanks! I'm 13 pounds down and this is the first week I'm noticing a difference - it's taken 3 months to get here but so worth it now. Hopefully we can both get that one stone award this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I tried a slimming world recipe tonight. Not the weightloss plan I'm using but it was Delish!! It was chicken tikka.

30mbbf7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Back on track with a 2lb loss after a couple of dreadful weeks :) Spent all morning cooking so the freezer is full with slimming world meals. Hopefully it's going to be another good week!

I met a friend for dinner over the weekend, it's so hard to be on track when others are are cooking, but I've just to stick to the water and the plan no.

Going to class tomorrow, it's the first one I can make in over a month.

I've got my stone award, I can't see the loss in myself, but somebody I hadn't met for a while commented on it over the weekend.

It's great for giving a boost

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Ok guys, long time lurked here. I'm in serious need of some help.

To cut a very long story short, I need to lose 8+stone. After numerous procedures and diets and fads, it seems slimming world is the best option. I've been through the mill weight wise and once weighed 32stone. Now is the time to change for good.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, basically I can't afford to join the online membership, ab d the whole group thing just isn't for me. I know I'd never get the courage to go while this big.

Are there any places online I can get info about the diet? I need a guide to red and green and syns etc. I've searched and searched but haven't found any real guides.

Well done on all your weight loss everyone and please feel free to pm me.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

There is an offer in Bella magazine today to join for half price.

If you got that and went to just one class for it to be explained to you you will get your guide. Unlike other slimming groups that add a book a week for the first few weeks you will get all the info in the one go, and take it from there.

Once you join the class you can also access their online support group with your pin number they give you.

I know you siad you do not like the idea of a class, but even if you were to go and join one away from where you live just for the pin and the book you would have all the info.

I find this forum a great support, and if you search online you will find others too.

Good luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement