Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

You can also buy the books on ebay if you felt too embarrassed to go to meetings. Or there might be somebody who has two packs and is willing to sell them to you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/slimming-world-books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Anne Other

A friend of mine just gave me this link for SW recipes:

http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/about#.U0P8PKhdWSp

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

SupaDupaFly, don't feel embarrassed about your size. If you think about it everybody there needs to lose weight and many have been exactly where you are now and bigger! It's natural to feel scared about standing on those scales for the first time. Your weight is never mentioned, that's between you and the girl who writes it in your book.

You will get nothing but support from the other members in the group, that's why it's important to stay to class. You will hear plenty of stories about how others deal with going off the rails and get back on track after. You will realise you are not alone in your battle with food and with a good leader (if you don't like one you can change to a different class at any time) and the encouragement from your new friends in the group you will fly along and begin to look forward to the craic at class.

Gains (yes they will happen occasionally!) are never talked about in a negative way.

As Anne Other said you could use the voucher to join, get the new member talk and the books and do it yourself at home. This would mean you just pay €9.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Starlight28

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    (if you don't like one you can change to a different class at any time)
    I didn't know you could change class. Do you have to let them know 1st or can you just show up?

I didn't know you could change class. Do you have to let them know 1st or can you just show up?
    Just show up. Holidays must be booked with the leader who you are signed up with but you can go to classes anywhere. Eg if you were working in a different part of the country for a week you can go to a class there.

I remember last year a woman from England who was here on holidays came to our group.

It can be interesting to hear how other leaders give the class and how they motivate the members.

• Advertisement

I was down 4lb at my weigh in last night.

Back on track for this week, but I've a busy weekend ahead, they make me nervous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Supadupafly, I had 6 stone to lose when I joined and I am not by any stretch the biggest one there. Even the ones I felt were really slim, in some cases have lost a lot of weight to get to where they are. The leader herself lost a lot of weight.

Everyone is there to do the same thing - lose weight. Regardless of how much.

I really do think that the class is a huge support and really helps you stick with it.

ash23 wrote: »
    Everyone is there to do the same thing - lose weight. Regardless of how much.

I totally agree. I got asked by one person in the group "what was I doing there"
    I had a little over 2 stone to lose. My weight was just creeping up and I just couldn't shift it myself. I'm half way there now and I'm thrilled I joined SW. :)

Down 2.5 pounds to get my stone and won young slimmer of the year.

Had bought chocolate before class for tonight but came home and had fruit and yogurt instead. I find the class really motivating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

Down 2.5 pounds to get my stone and won young slimmer of the year.

Had bought chocolate before class for tonight but came home and had fruit and yogurt instead. I find the class really motivating :)

Congrats!! I also lost 2.5 and got my stone. And I was also planning to come home and have a huge treat, but since I know I have a big weekend of food and drink ahead of me, I'm resisting. It's such a good feeling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Down 4lbs this week and I'm so happy! After a dodgy few weeks, I just went back to basics and read the whole pack I got when I joined. Feeling great and really motivated and hoping to get my 2 1/2 stone award next week. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Lost 2 pounds tonight and got my 2stone award so beaming with myself :)

Great motivation in the last few posts.

I have been asked to a wedding this weekend and I am very nervous about it. It's the first time in a long time my OH and I have had time out alone, so it would be a pity not to enjoy it, but the other side of me is worried that a gain at weigh in next week (Tues is my class) would mentally destruct my confidence.

I know I could go and eat little and drink water all day, but OH says life is for living and to live a bit.

Any tips on how I can limit the damage?

Anne, I had a number of weeks where there were things on and I decided (at the advice of my leader) that life is for living and weekends and social events are there to be enjoyed and then put aside.

My advice would be go and enjoy. For the meal go for a salad starter, a fish main and maybe a sorbet or something for dessert if it's available.
    Avoid wine and stick to light beer or spirits with a diet mixer.
    Dance the night away to get in some body magic ;)

I had one weekend where I went out for dinner and we skipped starters, I had a stir fry and salad for main and I had ice cream for dessert. I drank wine and alcopops and the next day I went to McDonalds and had a milkshake AND an icecream lol.

I was still down half a pound that week and that was because even though I did the dog on it that weekend, I was perfectly angelic for the rest of the week. Obviously I could have lost more had I been more rigid about the diet but god, if I had to resist at every social occasion and every weekend, I'd never stick to it.

My leader is great and a firm believer in enjoying it all and if you have a day where you splurge then it's fine so long as you get up the next day and go back to the plan.

Anne, I had a number of weeks where there were things on and I decided (at the advice of my leader) that life is for living and weekends and social events are there to be enjoyed and then put aside.

My advice would be go and enjoy. For the meal go for a salad starter, a fish main and maybe a sorbet or something for dessert if it's available.
    Avoid wine and stick to light beer or spirits with a diet mixer.
    Dance the night away to get in some body magic ;)

Thanks so much for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Down 4 pounds this week. Delighted. Another 2 pounds to go to my 6 and a half stone award. #determination

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

Is it possible to buy low fat fromage frais in South Dublin, Rathfarnham area?

hbonbr wrote: »

I amn't in that area but I get mine in the local Tesco.

I'm looking for this too. Allot of the recipes have fat-free natural fromage frais and I can never find it.:(

I'm looking for this too. Allot of the recipes have fat-free natural fromage frais and I can never find it.:(

Yep, I get mine in Tesco. It's beside the cream.

Supervalu stock it in a smaller container too. In my local supervalu it's usually in a small fridge with the fancy cheeses.

• Advertisement

Down 8 pounds this week, 1 pound to go to 7 stone award. Life changing, taking back control of my life. I'm eating more now than ever before. I control food now, food doesn't control me.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Down 8 pounds this week, 1 pound to go to 7 stone award. Life changing, taking back control of my life. I'm eating more now than ever before. I control food now, food doesn't control me.
    Blooming heck how did you manage to lose that much in a week after losing 4 the week before?

Even though I have been following the plan for 2 years now the longing for crap has never gone away. (The jam donouts in Tesco got the better of me yesterday when I was doing my shop after the weigh in!)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I got my 2.5 stone award and it's proudly taking up a spot on my fridge. Also stops me from opening the fridge so often!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Don't buy low fat, it'll just be laced with sugar.

Well done Dobbs and PennyWren........any tips for the likes of me, who made a total glutten of herself last weekend and am now working hard to undo it and get my head back in the game.

Anne Other wrote: »
    Well done Dobbs and PennyWren........any tips for the likes of me, who made a total glutten of herself last weekend and am now working hard to undo it and get my head back in the game.

Absolutely nothing you can do about last weekend, you have total control of every piece of food you consume before the next weigh in. Don't let 1 bad day or 1 bad weekend turn into 4,5,6,7 bad days.

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing you can do about last weekend, you have total control of every piece of food you consume before the next weigh in. Don't let 1 bad day or 1 bad weekend turn into 4,5,6,7 bad days.

Thanks, the only problem I had last weekend was the cooking was out of my hands, and it's hard to stay on track when somebody else is adding butter and fats to their cooking.

I'm focused again....onwards and downwards

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Annjan

Hi all can I jump on board. I'm doing sw but only sticking to it half heartily as my head is not in a great place. However I want to try and cop on now. I have been putting on and losing the same couple of lbs for the last year. I feel like a blobby and I'm sure I look like one too. Anyway going to root out all my books in the morning and start again properly. I have no excuses because I have tons of healthy food stocked in. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Don't buy low fat, it'll just be laced with sugar.

This is a silly thing to say. Buy low fat with no added sugar.

Fage 0% total Greek Yoghurt, while not Fromage Frais, would be a close substitute. As it's low fat, it's very low in calories and it's full of protein.

• Advertisement

I am restarting myself again today.
    I have found Easter a tough one, and I've lost the run of myself.
    Back to syn-ing, water, fruit and veg today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement