Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Just trolling more accurately. :rolleyes:

truth hurts .

Unfortunately I'm right.

If you want to achieve anything in life you need to have the strength and ability to do it yourself, for yourself , by yourself if you want to succeed .

Otherwise you may bite off more than you could chew lol

But on a serious note you shouldn't have to join a group to do it .

I follow the slimming world concept / method myself. I don't go to a class. Never have. Don't have group weigh ins etc, don't have group support. Down over 3 stone now.

Where is my weight loss coming from ?

If you do it by yourself then well done, that's what I'm on about .

It's folk that have to go to meetings that are never gonna get anywhere and keep their gains

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

italodisco wrote: »
    See how quick you put it back on when you leave .

Fact.

I left two months ago due to current financial strain.

I'm still following the plan and weighing myself on a set day every week.

I'm still losing weight. What's your point?

One thing works for one person... another for someone else.

Am I right though in saying you still follow slimming world ?

My point is simple .

Eat clean , healthy portions and excise self control and you won't need to follow any plan .

That's a much easier approach .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

If you do it by yourself then well done, that's what I'm on about .

It's folk that have to go to meetings that are never gonna get anywhere and keep their gains

I agree with you on that score. There are people who will fit that description. But my point is that the program / concept itself works and that with that right mentality Slimming World does work and will work long term.

I'm eating healthy portions and exercising self control... which is what Slimming World has taught me to do.

Again... what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

See how quick you put it back on when you leave .

Fact.

I agree with you.

BUT

This is a slimming world thread. The people here are following slimming world.

It's not the worst weightloss group going and if they are learning healthy eating habits (which i do believe they are) then leave them be.

You're fighting a losing battle.

MrVestek wrote: »
    I'm eating healthy portions and exercising self control... which is what Slimming World has taught me to do.

Again... what's your point?

Think my point has already been made ....Jesus....

You have to measure portions by weight etc when following plans .

By just living your life day by day without high sugar high carb foods etc you'll be healthy without following any plan .

I have seen the slimming world plan and similar and really don't understand what is stopping you from just living healthy without following anything

Do you have no self motivation to do it without slimming world?

Genuine question

Am I right in saying you assume slimming world works like weight watchers and unislim ie calorie and fat counting etc ?

Obviously that's a loaded question because the answer is that it's not. It's just that what you are preaching as such is exactly what sw does - teaches you what to eat and how to eat / cook better. As an example as you mentioned chippers earlier sw has a way to make chips (delicious chipper like chips) that you can eat as much of as you like once balanced off with an appropriate amount of fruit and/or veg. I eat more than I ever have. If it were weight watchers etc I would be eating a fraction of the amount I eat now. Most people assume that they are similar when in fact they are very very different concepts.

• Advertisement

By just living your life day by day without high sugar high carb foods etc you'll be healthy without following any plan .

I have seen the slimming world plan and similar and really don't understand what is stopping you from just living healthy without following anything

Your post crossed with mine.

You don't measure portions by weight, don't calorie count etc. You haven't seen the slimming world (plan) concept that I follow that's for sure.

I lost most of my weight by not eating sausage rolls , treats and sweets, white bread and too much gluten.

Instead of high sugar fruits I switched to low.

Instead of 'one off ' convenience meals I say no.

No plan, no guide , nothing.

Works a treat

Im not trying to be mean at all. I'm just fed up watching folk get somewhere and then fall back .

What you said about the healthy chips, there's the mistake. There shouldn't be any healthy chips made from spuds. .

That's just continuing a connection with comfort food.

I spent half my life struggling with it but finally I'm free .

Im not trying to be mean at all. I'm just fed up watching folk get somewhere and then fall back .

What you said about the healthy chips, there's the mistake. There shouldn't be any healthy chips made from spuds. .

I disagree tbh.

Food is good. Food can be tasty and be enjoyed. It doesn't have to be gluttonous and detrimental to health nor does it have to be just a sterile energy source IMO. Chips, roast potatoes etc are a nicer way to eat potatoes. If they can be made for a literal couple of calories extra that's a happy balance.

Btw delighted you lost whatever weight you needed to yourself. Doesn't really matter if we disagree on methods.

Chips coated in a few squirts of frylight and done in an air fryer isn't healthy?

Slimming World taught me how to cook my own food from scratch in a healthy way and taught me moderation and self control through an easy to understand system.

I don't always stay 100% inside of that system but I have alot more self control now.

I don't really order takeaways anymore... I make all of my meals from scratch with ingredients that I know are good for me and I'm still losing weight.

I'm still failing to see exactly what your point is here.

What... exactly did you hope to get out of posting to this thread?

Genuine question. Did you expect everyone to go 'christ... he's right!' and then quit Slimming World?

I lost most of my weight by not eating sausage rolls , treats and sweets, white bread and too much gluten.

Instead of high sugar fruits I switched to low.

Instead of 'one off ' convenience meals I say no.

No plan, no guide , nothing.

Works a treat

That's pretty much what I'm doing now.

I'm still failing to see your point. Happy that you all know how to do it better than us though, really I'm happy for you.

Can you go swing your penis around somewhere else now?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

You seem to think that weight loss is an easy. If so, why do you think so many people are overweight and obese? Why do people need these groups for advice and support? Because they literally don't know any other way. They may not be educated on in-depth nutrition or even the basics.

If it was so easy to lose weight, nobody would have an issue in doing it. Slimming World works - you might not think so but that's irrelevant because all you have to do is visit one group and see for yourself, or read this thread.

You also may not agree with its methods, but contrary to all other arguments they work. FACT. It is essentially a low fat diet - not a low carb, clean eating, Intermittent Fasting, Paleo : simple low fat

I know a bit about food, i.e. whats good for me and whats not. I would clean eat and eat my healthy fats and protein and not lose weight so I tried Slimming World and low and behold the weights coming off. I agree that healthy fats should be included in Slimming World but other than that it cant be faulted. Its prompts you to cook from scratch using healthy whole ingredient. It encourages you to eat veg with every meal along with lean meats, fish etc. You start to think about the rubbish you put in your mouth and wonder 'is it worth it'. It re-trains the mind and how it views food.. you want to get the best value from your meals. I'll even give you an example of what I had today for my food and you'll see for yourself!

Breakfast : 1 Weetabix, Low fat yogurt and Berries
    Lunch : 2 Slices of Wholemeal Bread, 2 eggs poached, smoked salmon and salad
    Dinner : Lean Turkey Mince Bolognese with Brown Pasta
    Snacks : Some Grapes, Banana and Almonds.

I can even eat a biscuit if I want, in fact they encourage you to have a small amount of what you like every day. Yes, you will put on weight when you stop watching your diet. That goes for every diet in the world! Its all about moderation, and awareness of what you're putting in your gob.

I couldn't have been more articulate if I tried Greenduck.

That's exactly what I was trying to say but I was just too annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Coconut oil for cooking ? Just wondering what the thoughts are on this ?

Its worth the syns IMO. It's 6 out of your 15 so it can be easily included in your daily diet if you wanted more fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Greenduck wrote: »
    Its worth the syns IMO. It's 6 out of your 15 so it can be easily included in your daily diet if you wanted more fat.

Now if i made a big stir fry that 3 people ate would that be 2 each or 6 each...........stupid question !

Now if i made a big stir fry that 3 people ate would that be 2 each or 6 each...........stupid question !

Depends on how much you use. I think it's 6 per tablespoon so yeah if you used one, you would divide by 3 which would be two each. Same goes with any jars, packets, sauces etc. Just make sure to measure and weigh any syns. The free stuff is grand :)

MrVestek wrote: »
    That's pretty much what I'm doing now.

I'm still failing to see your point. Happy that you all know how to do it better than us though, really I'm happy for you.

Can you go swing your penis around somewhere else now?

Thanks.

What's the penis thing all about ??
    A bit vulgar really .

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

It's all about the small but hugely significant victories in life with slimming world. Last October i couldn't walk 500 yards, today I ran my first ever 5K. The sense of absolute achievement, satisfaction and boost of confidence from achieving the small little victories is massively important.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Shut the front door

Eat healthy . Learn basics of nutrition. Don't eat junk .

Also do not assume that wearing addidas stretchy pants and fancy running shoes will make you lose weight without exercising ffs it's getting past funny seeing this new fashion .

Slimming world and the Like will get you nowhere, why??? Because if you can't do it by yourself without a group support then you never will.

Not rude, just factual.

Enjoy national chipper day .

Your post, it's tone and content is really unhelpful. I don't wear track suits unless in a gym, I don't wear fancy runners unless they are for the purpose intended and I am also a member of slimming world because I like being able to sit with other people in the same boat, no judgement, no condescension, no humiliation just support and help. Unlike your post. The people I am in group with listen, share ideas, stories and talk through problems.

Not all of us can commit to such a strict way of life. Like others I want to achieve the tools that will help me with the rest of my life. And you know what mr fancy pants sometimes I like to have some of the 'bad' stuff. I dare you to go to a group and share your thoughts. I have had enough of bullies and people like you who think your way of life is so amazing. Great for you, delighted even but don't think that gives you the right to condescend to others.

To everyone else who is part of slimming world, congratulations on joining, loosing and enjoying it. Like others in my local group you are doing great, no matter what some like to think.

I read this thread on and off a fair bit to see what others are doing.

I'm a bit too overweight. I started (yet again) on my dietary efforts when I weighed myself 5 weeks back and I was 18st 11lbs.

So I started walking, eating right etc. and I dropped down to 17st 10lbs. In that time I had 3 good weeks, and a really bad one. So, after the bad one, I figured my willpower wasn't good enough. I like my junk food too much. :o

So, of a Sunday evening, when walking with a friend (who's a SW member), I said i'd give it a shot. Truth be told, I've always kinda wanted to join SW, but could never build up the courage (and wouldn't be bothered doing it online).

So I decided i was going to join on the coming tuesday. Of course, in those 2 days (sunday and monday) before the tuesday i decided to join, i ate all i could handle :P

So I joined up and had my first official SW weigh in last tuesday (20th). I was 18st 2lbs.

Knowing I now had to present myself in front of a group of people each week, I worked hard during the week and ate right. I didn't follow the SW plan entirely (and don't intend to), but what I'm doing is a mish-mash of the SW plan and general calorie counting. I disregard syns for the most part, and i don't eat a never ending supply of 'free' foods, instead working out a rough caloric value.

I weighed in this week (the 27th) at 17st 6lbs, a loss of 10lbs over the previous week.

I had some junk food today, but didn't exceed my calorie limit (max 2,500 calories per day, but aim for lower in general) but I'm out doing about an hour of walking a day (sometimes 2-3 hours when possible) and I am eating healthier when possible.

I think the appeal of SW to me is the group thing. Having to go in front of a group of people each week makes me a bit more responsible with my food choices each week (well, it's only been 11 days, but I'm hoping this is the effect it will have).

Will aim to interact more with this thread.

It's great reading ye guys' opinions on stuff. I'm also a man, doing it, and find it made it a little more difficult. But there's another bloke in my class and he's a gent, so it's handy to have him there. :)

This thread certainly does go quiet at times, though :o

Weighed in tonight at SW. -4lbs. My second weigh in (first was -10lbs) so got my 1 stone award. Also got 'Slimmer of the Week'. Was pleased with myself there. My birthday is on Thursday, though, which will cause some not-so-good foods to come my way, but other than that, I'm hoping for 3 to 4lbs off again next week (fingers crossed).

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Well done KKV. I got my 1 Stone award yesterday too. so far I have lost in 3 weeks nearly 20 pounds - but still have a long long way to go

Well done KKV. I got my 1 Stone award yesterday too. so far I have lost in 3 weeks nearly 20 pounds - but still have a long long way to go

Nearly 20lbs in three weeks?! :eek:

That's pretty amazing going. Do you stick solely to the SW plan? (Free foods, syns, etc?).

I find I do a mix of the SW plan (foods they promote) and basic calorie counting (ie; i don't count syns, and I don't eat an unlimited amount of free foods). So far so good but I can feel it's gonna slow down a bit from here on in..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭schadenfreude8

its been a while since i posted on here,

i got my 10.5 stone award at christmas, and have been at target ever since, i think once you have hit your targetm the real battle starts, having the goal of weightloss is a huge motivator and getting used to not having this major goal can be tough.

I think SW is great as a framework to work to, with the support of the group can make or break someone, but it can also be a lonely journey, that will have its dark moments as its a battle with your mind alot of the time.

Stick with it people, learing about food and how to cook tasty, filling healthy food, that will filter into the lives of people around you also can only be a good thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement