Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Multi Tool

• 23-09-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I was wondering if people on the board would recommend a multi tool as opposed to a bike toolset. I'm looking for a bike multi tool for taking my bike apart and for any on the road repairs. I had a look online and the following looks interesting:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAX-Bike-Gooj-Multi-Tool/dp/B002CLXUR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316773167&sr=8-1

What do you think? Is this something that would be reliable and something which I could use to take off pedals etc? Or would this be something that I should only rely on for on the road issues and purchase a tool kit for all other maintenance etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My preference on multi-tools is BBB, you should pick them up in your LBS for similar money. If anyone in KK wants a free multi-tool, PM me, I have one to spare.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

That depends on how much DIY you want to do.
    A multi tool is normally carried for on the road repairs and will be OK for most jobs but it won't remove the pedals (13 or 15 mm open ended spanner).
    Special tools are also required for crank arm and bottom bracket removal and servicing the wheel hubs and cassettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I got one of these. It covers all the common tasks that you need on the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I picked up a Top peak mini folding tool which has proven handy. The chain breaker is useful, and it is fine for taking off pedals, etc.. While I often use it at home, separate tools are generally far superior, as you often need a longer or shorter driver length for finicky positions, and having even a simple ratchet speeds things. I've also needed two spanners by times, where a bolt and connected nut can turn in position.

Never had need of anything other than the allen keys on the road so far, and even then only two sizes. But then when things go wrong, it's usually the piece of kit you don't have with you that you need.

Edit: I'm using SPD pedals, which are easier to take off with the allen key.

Advertisement