Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research ancestor from IRA ambush-1921

Options
  • 23-09-2011 11:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

I'm researching my ancestory on my mothers side. Her uncle Patrick O' Connor (RIC) was killed in an ambush by an IRA group somewhere in Cork on 1st February 1921. The IRA later sent a letter to his mother apologising for the killing, saying it was a mistake and the killing was mistaken identity. I would so love if anyone could have any info, even though i know it's a long shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Do you have a copy of the letter that could be posted?

Or any further information that would be helpful?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There is a thread here for research on members of the RIC, which might help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

headmaster wrote: »
    I'm researching my ancestory on my mothers side. Her uncle Patrick O' Connor (RIC) was killed in an ambush by an IRA group somewhere in Cork on 1st February 1921. The IRA later sent a letter to his mother apologising for the killing, saying it was a mistake and the killing was mistaken identity. I would so love if anyone could have any info, even though i know it's a long shot.

Any luck checking newspaper archives yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

Does the letter still exist?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Sorry for not answering earlier, but i find it hard to negotiate my way around the forum. No, i don't have the letter, it was given by his mother to her daughter, then passed on to her daughter whom i have no contact with. I've just seen the answers now and will look up a link one of you have given me (slowburner) Thank you so much for that. If anyone gets anything else i would be so thankful to. God bless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

aged 22, Constable Patrick W James O'Connor was killed at Drimoleague on 1st Feb 1921. Constable Griffin was wounded. 2 other constables in the party uninjured.

Drimoleague Barracks was then attacked on the 11th Feb by the flying column of 3rd Cork Brigade.

a small mention for O'Connor
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/51109527
    http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=HNS19210203.2.69

A couple of the Drimoleague IRA were later involved in events at Crossbarry.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

There's this mention in a DCU piece

Led by their company captain Daniel O'Driscoll, the Drimoleague company of the IRA ambushed four RIC in the village killing one (Constable Patrick O'Connor) and wounding another (Constable Griffin)
    http://www.dcu.ie/~foxs/irhist/february_1921.htm

There was such a campaign against RIC officers at the time that I doubt that identity was a factor. The ultimate intention of any ambush would be to cause as many casualties as possible. It would be interesting to see the letter. Could it have been a way of consoling a mother I wonder? Is there any family folklore as to how the letter was received?

aged 22, Constable Patrick W James O'Connor was killed at Drimoleague on 1st Feb 1921. Constable Griffin was wounded. 2 other constables in the party uninjured.

Drimoleague Barracks was then attacked on the 11th Feb by the flying column of 3rd Cork Brigade.

a small mention for O'Connor
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/51109527
    http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=HNS19210203.2.69

A couple of the Drimoleague IRA were later involved in events at Crossbarry.
    Johnny Doyle,
    thank you so much for that. Yes, this is the person, i do so appreciate your help.

Foghladh wrote: »
    There's this mention in a DCU piece

Led by their company captain Daniel O'Driscoll, the Drimoleague company of the IRA ambushed four RIC in the village killing one (Constable Patrick O'Connor) and wounding another (Constable Griffin)
    http://www.dcu.ie/~foxs/irhist/february_1921.htm

There was such a campaign against RIC officers at the time that I doubt that identity was a factor. The ultimate intention of any ambush would be to cause as many casualties as possible. It would be interesting to see the letter. Could it have been a way of consoling a mother I wonder? Is there any family folklore as to how the letter was received?

Foghladh,
    thank you for your help. I'm afraid there's no hope at all of me seeing the letter, although the daughter is still alive but is in England and not in contact at all. She would be the sort to have got rid of all such correspondance and would have had no knowledge of the troubles, different circumstances and all that. I do believe the british goverment paid compensation to the mother but i have no means of ever finding out. The family hame was built around that time, i have the deeds and there were no loans, incumberances or anything on the title. So, i'm guessing that someones money paid for it and the family wouldn't have been wealthy, but had wonderful contacts. If i ever get more info i will put it up here or send it to both Johnny and yourself. I'm completely intrigued by all of this, especially as my side of the family would be seen as the other side of the political fence. My great-grandmother was a district nurse, married to an RIC officer, they once hid an IRA sympathiser from certain execution. I do find that hard to explain, but it shows the human tradgedy of the time. Anyway, thanks again for youe help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I wonder if it might be in the archives at Cathal Brugha Barracks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

There is RIC material in the UK National Archives. The material listed under Section 5 of this link looks interesting
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/royal-irish-constabulary.htm

Apart from the Examiner the other paper that would cover the Drimoleague area is The Southern Star which is online in the Irish Newspaper Archive site. I tried to do a search and didn't get any hits for Drimoleague for Feb 1921 but I think there might be a problem with it so might be worthwhile looking at a manual copy in the National Library or elsewhere. Might also need to check though that the paper was actually published at this point. There is at least one gap for around this period listed on the National Library website.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dromusta

Hi.
    I'm from Drimoleague and was looking up some historic documents when I came across this statement:

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS1478.pdf

Ted O'Sullivan later became a TD (Member of Dáil Éireann)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dromusta

Another link to the Military Archives Bureau - and an account by one of those involved.

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS1352.pdf#page=3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The Garda Museum Dublin Castle may be able to guide you. I know he wasn't a Garda but they took over the police records when the State was founded.
    There is a Police Historical Society. Give it a google!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Salmo salar

"Constable Patrick O’Connor RIC shot on 6 July 1919" any idea why this record exists in NLI Westport House Papers MS 41,099/16? Can't find any reference to a casualty in the Westport area in 1919 - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Just a wild guess, but the death of O'Connor might have been the subject of records in Westport if he was from that part of the world, or had family there. It was the practice of the RIC to post constables well away from the part of the country they were from, so if O'Connor was serving in Drimoleague he was probably not a Corkman. He could have been a Mayoman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I don't get were the mistake was. They were trying to kill enemy forces they succeded.

I think theyy killed a well liked local person from the community & the brigade was worried about civilians turning on them so wrote a letter. Something similar happened up North when the Officials shot a local Catholic British soldier & the community quickly closed their doors to them.

Advertisement