Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee in Waterford

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

33 the Mall. Just opposite the Munster Bar/Theatre Royal.
    It used to be a restaurant a few years back.

I can't beleive that closed down. The place was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Brunch in George's court have lovely coffees, java republic blend and made well. they have free wifi too but you have to ask for a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gonzales24

2SWEET wrote: »
    Brunch in George's court have lovely coffees, java republic blend and made well. they have free wifi too but you have to ask for a password.

Java republic is outdated in my and many other opinions, they used to be good, but now, there are far more better choice of coffee out there.

And about the Mint Cafe, it is a really nice spot, but by the time u get ur coffee it's cold already, the coffees look superb, the layer lattes etc. but I want a hot cup and they just can't deliver.
    looks like if u want a good looking coffee u have to compromise somewhere :)

Gonzales24 wrote: »
    And about the Mint Cafe, it is a really nice spot, but by the time u get ur coffee it's cold already, the coffees look superb, the layer lattes etc. but I want a hot cup and they just can't deliver.

Gonz, would you not bring this to the attention of the management?

Feedback is essential for providing a good service.

Finnbar01 wrote: »

Gonz, would you not bring this to the attention of the management?

Feedback is essential for providing a good service.

That's the same story as with the preveos post about the Park Cafe, the person liked the place and the coffee and didn't mind the stale pastry, same here, if u looking for a art work coffee, u have to include, it takes longer to make, and the milk has to be cooled down to get the layers perfect.
    I'm a take away americano person, like it hot and fast. The mint cafe couldn't do ether, twice. Ps. Large TA coffee to weak, and I'm not used to strong coffee, so no exuse there :)
    I'm not telling it's a bad place to go, quite
    Oposite, it's stylish and has a good quality coffee bean and they do magic with the latte.
    I'm not asking about much, just a good hot standard americano TA served fast. Can't get it there. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Java republic is outdated in my and many other opinions, they used to be good, but now, there are far more better choice of coffee out there.

Have tried a few other blends too such as illy and ponticelli and of course costa which i think nice but far too expensive, would always go for java republic if a had the option.... as a matter of interest what are the better choice of coffee out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

I won't go anywhere that serves Java Republic the quality of the coffee compared the other brand is just not as good at all to me it always tastes burnt. The coffee in Gallaweys has always being very good when ive had it both in Waterford and Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

dayshah wrote: »
    Since when do debenhams have a cafe? Where is it?
    In Debenhams!!:rolleyes::rolleyes: (upstairs)

2SWEET wrote: »

Have tried a few other blends too such as illy and ponticelli and of course costa which i think nice but far too expensive, would always go for java republic if a had the option.... as a matter of interest what are the better choice of coffee out there?

U have Lavazza - rich roast taste, matthew algie very nice coffee, united coffee/ Grand coffee very nice organic triple cert coffee. Java is a relic of the Irish coffee boom back in the day strong and herb, the coffee now have to be nice, mild, full flavour.

Woodgate wrote: »

Are the prices in euros or sterling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Sounds like some people would be better off posting to the County Waterford board for all the time they spend in the city. ;)

Is the Dunmore rd. city or county for example? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jez95

naysayer wrote: »
    I moved to Waterford a few weeks ago, and am looking for somewhere that serves a good Cafe Latte.
    The cafe by Superquinn used to be good a few years ago, but seems to have gone downhill. Lily O' Briens is very hit and miss.
    Tried many more but it seems nobody knows how to steam milk / cares to do it properly.
    Can someone point me in the right direction?

Anyone who mentions O' Briens or similar will be severely punished!

yes portico coffee shop on peter street

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jez95

you should visit portico coffee shop and say you got told to visit by jerry and ask for clay /johnny go/ mick:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

No mention of Aoife's, I'm very surprised, it's a gorgeous little cafe opposite the Theatre Royal.

https://www.facebook.com/aoifescafe

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Kaffine in Michael St - Lovely little place

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

jennygirl wrote: »
    Kaffine in Michael St - Lovely little place

Iv never heard of that place. Where is it on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    No mention of Aoife's, I'm very surprised, it's a gorgeous little cafe opposite the Theatre Royal.

The problem with Aoifes is the staff are just TOO in your face and friendly (yes, its possible to be too friendly). There is nothing wrong with the food and the options are very good but theres a lot to be said for just leaving people in peace to enjoy their lunch and move on. In the 3 times I was in here, I was bombarded with questions mid-lunch like "is everything ok", "hows the chicken", "are you enjoying that" etc. Again, once is a nice touch but any more that that and frankly you are annoying me. Its not a 5 star restaurant where detail is everything, its a cafe where people go for a quick lunch and move on, no need for the false merriment.

I dont mean the above to be nasty its genuinely constructive criticism, I had no issue with the food but because of the staff who spend the whole time singing and in your face about the food I wouldnt go back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Portico is the best place for actually emphasising coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Another +1 for Portico. If your interested in actual coffee, go in and have a pour over of one of their single origins. Consistently good coffee, friendly and knowledgeable staff and cheaper than costa!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

b0ardsUser wrote: »

In fairness a 2 year old thread was resurrected :), so Aoifes wasn't even open when most of the previous comments were made. Agree though it's a lovely place and the building is unique too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

+1 Portico. there's no better place for the proper coffee in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

In fairness a 2 year old thread was resurrected :), so Aoifes wasn't even open when most of the previous comments were made. Agree though it's a lovely place and the building is unique too.

My apologies, I didn't realise it was an old thread! :)

Advertisement