Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plagiarism or Sampling? Where's the line?

Options
  • 23-09-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭

Sampling has always gone on, especially in Hip Hop. Groups like A Tribe Called Quest made a career from sampling old jazz and soul records and rhyming over them to great effect and success. In each case though, the original artisits were compensated, the samples were fully paid for.

Then Puff Daddy in the 90s used a sample of absolutely everything..... EVERYTHING!

Fugees came along with their single Ready or Not which sampled both Enya and The Delphonics....... although the former was used without permission, resulting in an out of court settlement involving a lot of money and every copy of "The Score" being pulled from the shelves so the liner notes could be changed to include a credit for Enya.

I have no problem with paying for samples....... but what annoys me is this:

Now, can you tell me this difference between that Bressie tune and this?

Now, maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal if Bressie himself had not (apparently) said that this is his own riff that he'd knocked up in the studio. I mean, even the piano at the start is no different?

Where do you stand on the subject of "sampling"? For me, I think if someone else's song forms the basis for an entire track, they should be recognised a little more than a credit in the liner notes? Surely they should have co-credit in the song and artist title?

Also, do you think Bressie is actually plagerising here? Is it coincidence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Plaigarism is using another person's work and not stating where that work came from. So you are simply claiming that artist's work as your own.

Take these two examples.

Chris Martin has listed Kraftwerk in the credits for the Coldplay song Talk, which is posted above. The melody of both songs may be strikingly similar but because Kraftwerk were credited, Chris Martin isn't claiming it as his own work.

But then there are songs where the artist sneakingly robs part of another song and never credits the original owner.

As much as I love Green Day, Billy Joe didn't consult Noel Gallagher about this first. Both are still absolutely class tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

That Bressie song IS "Halfway Home", no two ways about it! I'd call it plagiarism but I am being slightly biased because I think Breslin's a c*nt!

I'd disagree with some writing credits in songs that use samples, for example "Bittersweet Symphony" is credited to Richard Ashcroft, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. Now Mick and Keef had nothing to do with the finished product, their credit is down to the string sample from Andrew Oldham's orchestral version of "The Last Time" by the Stones.
    Though it should be mentioned that the lawsuit that ensured Richards and Jaggers credit was carried out by the record company who own the rights to their body of work and not by the Stones themselves, though I'm sure they didn't kick up much of a fuss about it!

Also look up subconscious plagiarism, this is something George Harrison found out about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

That Bressie song IS "Halfway Home", no two ways about it! I'd call it plagiarism but I am being slightly biased because I think Breslin's a c*nt!

I'd disagree with some writing credits in songs that use samples, for example "Bittersweet Symphony" is credited to Richard Ashcroft, Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. Now Mick and Keef had nothing to do with the finished product, their credit is down to the string sample from Andrew Oldham's orchestral version of "The Last Time" by the Stones.
    Though it should be mentioned that the lawsuit that ensured Richards and Jaggers credit was carried out by the record company who own the rights to their body of work and not by the Stones themselves, though I'm sure they didn't kick up much of a fuss about it!

Also look up subconscious plagiarism, this is something George Harrison found out about
    !

Which might explain why he didn't mind Paul Weller stealing his riff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I'm surprised I never copped that before. Its so obvious. And I love that "Taxman" song.

Advertisement