Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islam Forum: Changes to the forum charter should be discussed here.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If so, why didn't you report the post above in the Islam thread that you posted in?

Why are you having a go at him when you admitted earlier you didn't report it yourself?
    You said you had a problem with it going unpunished.
    Then you said it's anti islam propaganda which leads to hate crimes, which you seem to feel strongly about, but you still didn't report it.
    Then you said the problem is not you finding it offensive, but that muslims might find it offensive. We have muslim posters on the boards, and I don't think they reported it either.
    Now you're going on at mark because presumably he wouldn't report it or anything similar either. And apparently such posts "de-legitimise Islam".
    First of all if the religion of islam is "de-legitimised" by such a report which was apparently backed up with facts and statistics, the problem may possibly just lie with islam, if it crumbles so easily in the face of an internet forum post.

Secondly if the religion of islam is "de-legitimised" by such a post to the extent that you're on here arguing at length about how awful it is, I really don't understand why you didn't just report it in the first place.

I'm at a loss here, I really am :confused:

Oh and you said you debunked it. if it's such an awful post maybe it's better to have it debunked factually in public so it doesn't come up again, how about that?

And all this is still completely aside from the fact that A&A forum and islam forum are nearly by definition polar opposites; what happens and gets posted on the A&A forum has no bearing on what might be 1/ posted and 2/acceptable on the islam forum. It's irrelevant. Plenty of things get posted about christianity on A&A that all the posters know would just not be acceptable on the christianity forum, and unless someone wants to show me I am wrong, they don't post them on the christianity forum.

Can nobody else see the connection between anti-religionists from the atheism & agnosticism forum being so interested in the Islam forum?
    They're equally as interested in the christian forum and have had lengthy debates over long periods of time there without the place imploding on itself. It's a reasonable question to ask that if they can all manage to have civil discussions about a religion on that religion's forum, why the same can't happen in another religion's forum.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

bluewolf wrote: »
    Why are you having a go at him when you admitted earlier you didn't report it yourself?
    Yes I didn't report it but I publically challenged it.
    You said you had a problem with it going unpunished.
    My problem is no with it not being unpunished. What it does do is establish is what is acceptable and what is mainsteam treatment of minorities on boards.ie. I'm all for healthy debate on any issue on any issue including Islam. There is next to nothing that is taboo for me. What I can't understand is why people feel so strongly about the neccessity to discuse Islam. It's currently a niche forum for a religious minority and is quite open about this.
    Then you said it's anti islam propaganda which leads to hate crimes,
    Well it's not just me saying it I was referring to a report http://centres.exeter.ac.uk/emrc/publications/IAMHC_revised_11Feb11.pdf by Jonathan Githens-Mazer and Bob Lambert which directly links the media and hate crimes.
    A rise in the number of hate crimes against Muslims in London is being encouraged by mainstream politicians and sections of the media, a study written by a former Scotland Yard counter-terrorism officer, published yesterday, says.

Attacks ranging from death threats and murder to persistent low-level assaults, such as spitting and name-calling, are in part whipped up by extremists and sections of mainstream society, the study says.

The document – from the University of Exeter's European Muslim research centre – was written by Dr Jonathan Githens-Mazer and former special branch detective Dr Robert Lambert.

"The report provides prima facie and empirical evidence to demonstrate that assailants of Muslims are invariably motivated by a negative view of Muslims they have acquired from either mainstream or extremist nationalist reports or commentaries in the media," it says.

Lambert headed Scotland Yard's Muslim contact unit, which helped improve relations between the police and Britain's Islamic communities.

Secondly if the religion of islam is "de-legitimised" by such a post to the extent that you're on here arguing at length about how awful it is, I really don't understand why you didn't just report it in the first place.

I'm at a loss here, I really am :confused:
    Well two reasons: 1-It's better to challenge and expose it (I know that is the argument you make for an "anthing goes" Islam forum but it's better if it never get's to this point in the first place) 2-Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
    Oh and you said you debunked it. if it's such an awful post maybe it's better to have it debunked factually in public so it doesn't come up again, how about that?

Facts don't matter when there is motivation by hatred. Minds are already made up. I'll give you some examples. Poster A posts a series out out-of-context quotes quotes taken from the Qu'ran to demonise Islam and give the impression Muslims want to kill you. I in turn take the first passage quoted look into the history and put it into context and it turns out that the verse has a completely different meaning and in fact the verse was actually edited to give a false impression. Posters A's response? "uhm..well what about the others?" No change in position despite the facts.

Poster B posts a blatantly false Daily Mail article that gives the impression that Murder is justified in Islam on Muslims through Shariah for being in a beauty contest. I look into the article and it turns out the girls was NOT MUSLIM, NOT EVEN KILLED BY STONING and it in fact had absolutely nothing to do with Islam/Shariah whatsoever. Poster B's response? None, as far as I remember. No change in position despite the facts.

Poster C argues that Islam is the primary motivation for suicide-bombers. I post quotes from Dr. Robert Pape (of the University of Chicago, I think) a man who had lived and breathed 24/7 for the last 10 years, he is the authority on the motivations of suicide bombers who says that Islam is not the motivation for suicide bombers but occupation, desperation, injustice etc is. http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/10/18/it_s_the_occupation_stupid Posters C's response? "uhm...welll..Islam is bad...uhm..No change in position despite the facts.
    And all this is still completely aside from the fact that A&A forum and islam forum are nearly by definition polar opposites; what happens and gets posted on the A&A forum has no bearing on what might be 1/ posted and 2/acceptable on the islam forum. It's irrelevant. Plenty of things get posted about christianity on A&A that all the posters know would just not be acceptable on the christianity forum, and unless someone wants to show me I am wrong, they don't post them on the christianity forum.

They're equally as interested in the christian forum and have had lengthy debates over long periods of time there without the place imploding on itself. It's a reasonable question to ask that if they can all manage to have civil discussions about a religion on that religion's forum, why the same can't happen in another religion's forum.

Because I'd assume many of the people from A&A are ex Christians or at least familiar with enough with Christian ideals, culture, and so on. People generally are not familiar with Islam enough to have any kind of reasonable debate. Also there is enough Christian posters to counter-balance the "antis" the Islam forum would just be swamped.

There is a huge gap between what people know about Islam and what they think they know and what they think they know tends to be primarily negative.

There are exceptions of course contrast Wibbs who has read the Qu'ran with Poster A above.

Yes I didn't report it but I publically challenged it.
    Publically challenged or otherwise, you have no place going on at anybody else for not reporting a similar style post when you didn't do the same yourself.
    My problem with it not being unpunished.
    Well, you said:
    This is a list of comments (I'd gathered for a dispute resolution thread) that went unpunished in the atheist & agnostic forum.
    so it looked like you had a problem with it going unpunished.
    What it does is establish is what is acceptable and what is mainsteam treatment of minorities on boards.ie.
    What it established was that threads backed up with facts and statistics are ok on Atheism & Agnosticism forum, particularly if they go unreported.
    What it did not establish was mainstream treatment of anybody across boards.ie as a whole.
    I'm all for healthy debate on any issue on any issue including Islam. There is next to nothing that is taboo for me. What I can't understand is why people feel so strongly about the neccessity to discuse Islam. It's currently a niche forum for a religious minority and is quite open about this.
    I don't understand why people discuss half the subjects on subfora across boards, but then if I'm not interested in it, it's not really any of my business. I don't go there and tell them what I think they should or shouldn't post.
    In any case poster makes statement, backs it up, you refute it, that sounded like debate to me.
    Well two reasons: 1-It's better to challenge and expose it (I know that is the argument you make for an "anthing goes" Islam forum
    I'm not making an argument for anything goes in islam. I'm sure we've all said that outright attacks and insults are clearly not acceptable. The fuzzy line seems to be who decides what's an attack, which is what's at issue here.
    2-Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
    :confused:

Facts don't matter when there is motivation by hatred. Minds are already made up. I'll give you some examples. Poster A posts a series out out-of-context quotes quotes taken from the Qu'ran to demonise Islam and give the impression Muslims want to kill you. I in turn take the first passage quoted look into the history and put it into context and it turns out that the verse has a completely different meaning and in fact the verse was actually edited to give a false impression. Posters A's response? "uhm..well what about the others?" No change in position despite the facts.

Poster B posts a blatantly false Daily Mail article that gives the impression that Murder is justified in Islam on Muslims through Shariah for being in a beauty contest. I look into the article and it turns out the girls was NOT MUSLIM, NOT EVEN KILLED BY STONING and it in fact had absolutely nothing to do with Islam/Shariah whatsoever. Poster B's response? None, as far as I remember. No change in position despite the facts.

Poster C argues that Islam is the primary motivation for suicide-bombers. I post quotes from Dr. Robert Pape (of the University of Chicago, I think) a man who had lived and breathed 24/7 for the last 10 years, he is the authority on the motivations of suicide bombers who says that Islam is not the motivation for suicide bombers but occupation, desperation, injustice etc is. http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/10/18/it_s_the_occupation_stupid Posters C's response? "uhm...welll..Islam is bad...uhm..No change in position despite the facts.
    Any links?
    Because I'd assume many of the people from A&A are ex Christians or at least familiar with enough with Christian ideals, culture, and so on. People generally are not familiar with Islam enough to have any kind of reasonable debate.
    And because we're having a problem ascertaining what is reasonable debate and what is insult, nobody is going to get familiar with islam, it seems.
    Also there is enough Christian posters to counter-balance the "antis" the Islam forum would just be swamped.
    However hobbes seems to have an issue with even different denominations of islam discussing their differences, so...
    There is a huge gap between what people know about Islam and what they think they know and what they think they know tends to be primarily negative.
    Sounds like a good opportunity to educate them if they post in the forum then. And if they're insulting, report them or put them on ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I can't understand is why people feel so strongly about the neccessity to discuse Islam.
    I don't understand why people feel so strongly about the necessity to discuss celebrities, yet it happens here as this is a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

However hobbes seems to have an issue with even different denominations of islam discussing their differences, so...

Not sure where this came up. That certainly isn't the case.

I was pointing out earlier that we had issues from some Muslim posters wanted other aspects of the religion banned from the forum (as it disagreed with what they believed Islam was).

... We refused to do so ...

How that got translated into me having an issue with Muslims discussing Islam in the Islam forum is beyond me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    I don't understand why people feel so strongly about the necessity to discuss celebrities, yet it happens here as this is a discussion forum.

What I'd meant to say is that I don't know why people are trying to force the issue to discuss Islam in a niche forum and thereby destroy the dynamics of the existising forum when there are other perfectly good forums on boards to have the same discussions.

I do understand understand why people want to discuss Islam but it would be discuss for some and attack for others. It'd turn into people posting fabricated stories from the Daily Mail on Islam which would be the equivalent of Der Sturmer articles on Jews in Germany in the 20's and 30's.

Publically challenged or otherwise, you have no place going on at anybody else for not reporting a similar style post when you didn't do the same yourself.
    I opposed it, the mode of opposition is irrelevant. Mark didn't nor did anyone else. The point is not to single out Mark but to point out that Islamaphobic comments are socially acceptable and mainstream.

What it established was that threads backed up with facts and statistics are ok on Atheism & Agnosticism forum, particularly if they go unreported.
    What it did not establish was mainstream treatment of anybody across boards.ie as a whole.
    There seems to be some confusion on this matter. There was nothing backed up. This is my post from that thread and remember the claim "A UK Muslim is far more likely to rape than a non-Muslim".
    This is the police report the news report was based on. https://www.politi.no/vedlegg/lokale...dlegg_1309.pdf

First off it's worth pointing out that the numbers refer to Oslo and not the whole of Norway. It's actually shameful how low the media will go to demonise Muslims as they've done here. They've spun it in such a way so as to demonise Muslim immigrants.

Luckily I can speak enough Swedish/Norwegian to get the jist of the report.

If you go to table 30 you'll see that there was 152 rapes in Oslo in 2010 - Mostly carried out by people of NORWEGIAN descent. (Norge = Norway) and happened at a party (Fest = party). The news channel has shamelessly twisted rape statistics to whip up paranioa and hatred against immigrants. What they've solely focused on in the news report was "Overfall" meaning assualt. These numbered 6 in total. 4 being committed by men (perhaps even women?) from the Middle East and 2 from Africa.

4 rapes that were carried out by people of Middle Eastern descent is evidence of nothing at all to the claim and that's before you get into the unchallenged xenophobic comments like referring to the burqa as a cloth bag and so on.
    I'm not making an argument for anything goes in islam. I'm sure we've all said that outright attacks and insults are clearly not acceptable. The fuzzy line seems to be who decides what's an attack, which is what's at issue here.
    :confused:
    Like I've said before it's people who don't like Muslims who will poison the well. If there was a filter that could seperate people like yourself and Wibbs and some others from lynch mob I'd be all for opening up the Islam forum but the well would be poisoned.

History has shown time and time again that minorities will be singled out in times of economic hardship. I don't see the need for it here.
    Any links?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/28/hate-crimes-muslims-media-politicians

And because we're having a problem ascertaining what is reasonable debate and what is insult, nobody is going to get familiar with islam, it seems.

Sounds like a good opportunity to educate them if they post in the forum then. And if they're insulting, report them or put them on ignore.
    I tend to agree that everything is in place for people to inform themselves about Islam and Islamic culture but people have to willing to learn. Broadly speaking this is not the case imo. Take for example the case of the Muslim who posted in that thread, Deravarra - nobody was asking questions everyone was just attack. Attack. Attack. At one point she/he was even called "an apologist for radical Islam". edit - or something along those lines.

What I'd meant to say is that I don't know why people are trying to force the issue to discuss Islam in a niche forum and thereby destroy the dynamics of the existising forum when there are other perfectly good forums on boards to have the same discussions.

I do understand understand why people want to discuss Islam but it would be discuss for some and attack for others. It'd turn into people posting fabricated stories from the Daily Mail on Islam which would be the equivalent of Der Sturmer articles on Jews in Germany in the 20's and 30's.
    Erm...

Discussion does not equal attack, the former is fine, the latter is what Mods are here for. Not really a logical argument to shut down discussion in case some people might attack other people using fabricated stories.

I opposed it, the mode of opposition is irrelevant.
    It's not irrelevant when you're focusing on what other people report and don't report
    Mark didn't nor did anyone else. The point is not to single out Mark but to point out that Islamaphobic comments are socially acceptable and mainstream.
    One single thread in one single subforum which was not reported is a very, very far cry from "mainstream".
    There seems to be some confusion on this matter. There was nothing backed up. This is my post from that thread and remember the claim "A UK Muslim is far more likely to rape than a non-Muslim".
    I'm re-reading it now: Wibbs did. everyone else seems to have ignored it. One single poster making the claim with next to nobody jumping in? This is hardly the "mainstream" discrimination and attack of Islam that you were portraying.

In any case, as I've said repeatedly, one single POST in the A&A forum has nothing to do with the Islam forum and its charter and what is acceptable or likely to be posted.
    Like I've said before it's people who don't like Muslims who will poison the well. If there was a filter that could seperate people like yourself and Wibbs and some others from lynch mob I'd be all for opening up the Islam forum but the well would be poisoned.
    The filter is a consistent and good charter and mods infracting or banning.
    History has shown time and time again that minorities will be singled out in times of economic hardship. I don't see the need for it here.
    I'm pretty sure my own religion is a minority and it's not getting singled out.
    Atheism is a minority. It does get attacked a lot, and the posters on the forum are happy to debunk or refute.
    In any case this seems a little dramatic, all for one single post in a different forum.
    I meant links to the threads where you claim presentation of facts didn't make any difference.

I tend to agree that everything is in place for people to inform themselves about Islam and Islamic culture but people have to willing to learn. Broadly speaking this is not the case imo. Take for example the case of the Muslim who posted in that thread, Deravarra - nobody was asking questions everyone was just attack. Attack. Attack. At one point she/he was even called "an apologist for radical Islam". edit - or something along those lines.

And yet one of the muslim posters around here has stated he prefers posting A&A because there's more room for discussion...

Hobbes, my mention of you was based on a quick glance over your discussion with mark, sorry if I misunderstood.

I meant links to the threads where you claim presentation of facts didn't make any difference.

Well here is the post on Dr Pape
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74066447&postcount=271
    . "The data show that there is little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any one of the world's religions. . . . Rather, what nearly all suicide terrorist attacks have in common is a specific secular and strategic goal: to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from territory that the terrorists consider to be their homeland"
    Here is the response
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74067546&highlight=Pape#post74067546
    Nothing you say will change the fact that they TELL us why they feel comfortable doing what they do.

Here is another, on an out of context quote put into context.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73901340&postcount=144

"His (Muhammed's) message was NOT love and peace."

gives these verse:
    Qur'an (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

"So give over, and stop pretending Islam is a religion of peace, and that somehow these people are 'hypocrites'. They are doing what they have been told to do. "

Which I explain in these two posts:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73910708&postcount=152
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73943688&highlight=badr#post73943688
    I did take the first one as an example. It was presented as a commandment of Allah to "kill the infidel!". This wasn't the case as I found out by trying to put the text into context from unbiased sources. The reality was that it was explaining the divine intervention that led to a famous victory for the Muslims (believers) over the Meccanites (unbelievers) in the Battle of Badr. The Muslims were significantly outnumbered but they still won the battle. The verse relates to this. Supposedly Allah had his Angels fighting alongside the Muslims (believers) in the battle which led to victory. The message of violence was not one against infidels (you and me) but against the "unbelievers" in a specific battle.

And the response?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73910741&postcount=153
    Actually, he doesn't have a point - because he hasn't placed all of the above quotes into 'proper context'.

As I've previously stated " No change in position despite the facts. "

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Erm...

Discussion does not equal attack, the former is fine, the latter is what Mods are here for. Not really a logical argument to shut down discussion in case some people might attack other people using fabricated stories.

Yes I accept that. What I am trying to get across is what is the need to discuss offensive topics to minority in a niche sub-forum where the same minority congregate to discuss topics already when there are plenty of other perfectly good forums to have the same conversations without causing the same offense?

Can't you see how a peaceful, non-raping, anti-terrorism, regular Muslim boards poster would be offended by conflating them personally solely because of their religion with terrorist/rapist/insert anti-Muslim stereotype?

Not everyone comes here for an argument. They will be left with the option of fight or flight as I've said whereas now they can avoid it through choice by keeping to the Islam forum.

Yes I accept that. What I am trying to get across is what is the need to discuss offensive topics to minority in a niche sub-forum where the same minority congregate to discuss topics already when there are plenty of other perfectly good forums to have the same conversations without causing the same offense?

Can't you see how a peaceful, non-raping, anti-terrorism, regular Muslim boards poster would be offended by conflating them personally solely because of their religion with terrorist/rapist/insert anti-Muslim stereotype?

Not everyone comes here for an argument. They will be left with the option of fight or flight as I've said whereas now they can avoid it through choice by keeping to the Islam forum.
    I didn't mention offensive topics, and arguing, I'm talking about discussion. Let the discussion flow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it's not just me saying it I was referring to a report http://centres.exeter.ac.uk/emrc/pub...ed_11Feb11.pdf by Jonathan Githens-Mazer and Bob Lambert which directly links the media and hate crimes.
    Well how do you square that sentiment and argument with your very regular anti Israeli diatribes? Anti Semitism isn't exactly a new thing, nor needs much goading in too many quarters. This stuff goes both ways, not just groups you happen to like defending(or attacking). Oh sorry haven't you been introduced? Mr. Pot meet Mr Kettle.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Mark -->

Would you report this post?

This has got what to do with this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Hobbes wrote: »
    Not sure where this came up. That certainly isn't the case.

I was pointing out earlier that we had issues from some Muslim posters wanted other aspects of the religion banned from the forum (as it disagreed with what they believed Islam was).

... We refused to do so ...

How that got translated into me having an issue with Muslims discussing Islam in the Islam forum is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Explained here (second paragraph)

This has got what to do with this thread?
    Everything IMO. I've said from the start that I see the only benefit changing the Islam charter is that it enables people to humiliate and browbeat Muslims because they are Muslims.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well how do you square that sentiment and argument with your very regular anti Israeli diatribes? Anti Semitism isn't exactly a new thing, nor needs much goading in too many quarters. This stuff goes both ways, not just groups you happen to like defending(or attacking). Oh sorry haven't you been introduced? Mr. Pot meet Mr Kettle.

I'm "anti" fascism, Jewish fascism, Israeli fascism, Christian fascism, Islamist fascism, Arab fascism, Chinese fascism Irish, black, white and everything in between. Im not anti-semitic not anti-Israeli. Regarding Israel, I am anti an very small minority of extreme right-wingers. Regarding Ireland, I am anti an very small minority of extreme right-wingers, and so on.

If you had a "Stormfront appreciation society" sub forum here banging the loudest drums to change the charter in the Judaism forum to allow posts about blood libel and the like my objections would be exactly the same. Likewise if it was a group of Muslims from the Islam forum making the loudest noises about opening up the Judaism forum for "discussion" I would equally object.

Advertisement