Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornby OO, adding another train

Options
  • 23-09-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a hornby setup, and I've attached a rough diagram of the layout (and I stress rough).

Its basically 2 ovals, 3rd and 2nd radius curves with 4 R600 straights, and finally a larger semi-oval connected via R613/R612 to the outside loop. The power track is also connected on the outside loop and the inner oval is connected for power via the powerclips.

My sons would like to add another train, and I'm not sure how to go about it. should I remove the power clips and add a new power track/controller to the inner loops ? That way running one train on the inner and another on the outer.

Or should there be a 2nd isolated line for a 2nd train ? These are all analogs.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Since it is DC (analogue) you need to have 2 entirely separately powered lines to run two trains (or really complicated electrical sections to isolate all the bits.) the points from the inner to outer can stay but may cause issues when switching trains between them if you're not careful

A Hornby HM 2000 controller allows you to control two lines from one box, running wiring to two separate power clips on each loop.

hornby-hm-2000-power-controller.jpg

Of course you could opt for DCC, and by adding decoder chips to the locos you can run as many as you like on the same tracks without having to alter your wiring. Hornby do a basic enough system that would be a cheapish option to convert. Have a google of DCC and read about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Since it is DC (analogue) you need to have 2 entirely separately powered lines to run two trains (or really complicated electrical sections to isolate all the bits.) the points from the inner to outer can stay but may cause issues when switching trains between them if you're not careful

A Hornby HM 2000 controller allows you to control two lines from one box, running wiring to two separate power clips on each loop.

Of course you could opt for DCC, and by adding decoder chips to the locos you can run as many as you like on the same tracks without having to alter your wiring. Hornby do a basic enough system that would be a cheapish option to convert. Have a google of DCC and read about it.

Thanks for the reply, for the moment thinking of just staying with DC, have read a lot about dcc, but perhaps a bit early for that.

If I add power to the inside track ( and also remove the power clips), can I connect the points with the plastic insulating fishplates? Will this allow the trains to cross over the different loops, assuming the other train is isolated in a siding

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you can probably connect them with metal ones either and it should be fine once the other train is isolated. power shouldn't flow across until the points are changed so will be isolated anyway in normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

DCC definately the way forward, so much easier, scalable and you can run as many trains as you have decoders. The only real issue for you would be whether you not your existing loco is DCC ready. If not, you'd have to rewire it and that can be messy but not impossible.
    You dont need any complicated DCC equipment either, the Hornby DCC controllers, point pins and decoders work fine and are perfect for what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

kstand wrote: »
    DCC definately the way forward, so much easier, scalable and you can run as many trains as you have decoders. The only real issue for you would be whether you not your existing loco is DCC ready. If not, you'd have to rewire it and that can be messy but not impossible.
    You dont need any complicated DCC equipment either, the Hornby DCC controllers, point pins and decoders work fine and are perfect for what you have.

thanks, Its all setup now for 2 seperate circuits (2 controllers) and even a complete revamp of the track layout. god bless those R603 track piece's, have some nice long straights now for the intercity HST. Already thinking about going dcc, but might wait a while till my boys are a bit older as at the moment its easy for them to control 1 train each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ekellyie

At the moment I've got a complete hornby layout with one train on it(Virgin 125). I was hoping to have 2 or maybe even 3 trains running on the whole layout. To do that is it best to buy 2 more Hornby R965 controllers and the trains separate or is there a better of doing it?

Advertisement