Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Science Teaching

• 23-09-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am hoping that someone can help me as I am very worried. I have been teaching 15 years and have always taught Junior Cert Science, Biology and Physics.
    I am registered with the teaching council and as I had been teaching before 2006 I didnt actually supplly the TC with my transcripts ( i sent them to the Registration section that existed before).
    I have a 3 year general science degree and H.Dip. In my final year I had 6 modules of Physics and 6 modules of Zoology.
    Now I see that on the TC website I am recognised as a teacher of Physics but not Biology, even though I had a 50/50 split.
    I dont want to contact the TC as from regular reading of the forum I am suspicious of them and am afraid that I will end up losing my registration all together.
    I was sure that I was registered to teach both Biology and Physics.
    Does anyone know of a way to do modules of Biology in case I need to.
    If I get onto the TC is it possible that they could withdraw my registration altogether....Sorry for rambling but Im very worried :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

I am hoping that someone can help me as I am very worried. I have been teaching 15 years and have always taught Junior Cert Science, Biology and Physics.
    I am registered with the teaching council and as I had been teaching before 2006 I didnt actually supplly the TC with my transcripts ( i sent them to the Registration section that existed before).
    I have a 3 year general science degree and H.Dip. In my final year I had 6 modules of Physics and 6 modules of Zoology.
    Now I see that on the TC website I am recognised as a teacher of Physics but not Biology, even though I had a 50/50 split.
    I dont want to contact the TC as from regular reading of the forum I am suspicious of them and am afraid that I will end up losing my registration all together.
    If I get onto the TC is it possible that they could withdraw my registration altogether....Sorry for rambling but Im very worried :confused:

It may be that your module content doesn't "satisfy" the TC. If you look here:
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Registration/AutoQuals/Autoquals%2520updated%25201st%2520July%25202011.pdf

it details specifically what you need to have studied in Biology in order to be registered. Maybe that's what caused the discrepancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mimmi

The OU is probably the main option:-
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/science/biology/courses/index.htm

Without knowing you shortfall in ECTs points, you should probably look at 60pts of OU study at Level 2 and 30pts at Level 3. Normally you would get the TC to assess your degree - they charge for this, but they will articulate your shortfall.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Application%20Forms/PPQA_02_75653204.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If you are registered to teach, you are registered to teach, so you are not going to lose your registration. Maybe it's an oversight on their part, or maybe they didn't register you because you don't have enough Plant Science in your degree or something like that.

Perhaps just ring them and check why Biology wasn't listed.

To be honest, if you've been in your school for that long and teaching Biology for that long I can't see your principal removing you from the subject. Teaching Council or otherwise. If you are permanent and they took you out of Biology they would have to find something else to fill your timetable, so it's not worth the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Flexiblefriend

Thanks for the replies so far. I have been in the school a long time and have always taught Biology, I am not permanent but have a CID was on of the first group to get them in the school. I just cant understand, I always thought I had an equal amount of Physics and Zoology in my Degree, you could be right Rainbowtrout I might be missing some plant biology, but after looking at the link posted by Unluckyagain I am no clearer as my degree subjects are listed as being ok....so maybe its an oversight. I am just worried that if I query my biology qualification when they look into it they will find Im not qualified to teach Physis either and then where do I stand....does anyone know of anyone that this happened to ??? If I rang them would they be able to tell me what the problem is over the home or would I need to go and get them to assess my degree ??? Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well I'd imagine that you wouldn't have been accepted on the dip originally if you didn't have a degree that would be recognised for teaching.

Maybe ring them and ask what the shortfall is in your biology. Don't mention physics at all. That's probably not a problem anyway. It could be an oversight, if not at least you will know and can rectify it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

When you were accepted into the Dip did they sau it was because you were qualified in Phtsics and Biology? If so get on to them asap.

In fact get onto to them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

mimmi wrote: »
    The OU is probably the main option:-
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/science/biology/courses/index.htm

Without knowing you shortfall in ECTs points, you should probably look at 60pts of OU study at Level 2 and 30pts at Level 3. Normally you would get the TC to assess your degree - they charge for this, but they will articulate your shortfall.

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Application%20Forms/PPQA_02_75653204.pdf

I think this is an interesting problem, and I actually think many existing Science teachers who registered prior to the establishment of the teaching council could find themselves in similar situations.
    From the 2nd link given by Mimmi above I see this sentence...and think this means that your physics will be ok no matter what........the rest if from the TC website.

The Council does not have a legal entitlement to assess the qualifications of a teacher that is already
    registered. However, in specific cases, an applicant may wish to have their qualifications assessed to
    determine if the qualifications meet the criteria for a further curricular subject or educational sector. The
    outcome of this assessment process will not change or update teacher’s existing registration details.
    When the process is complete, the Council will inform the applicant about the outcome of the
    assessment process and will provide a list of any options available to the applicant.
    I authorise the Council to assess my qualifications for information purposes only. I understand that the
    result of any assessment outlined above will not affect my current Registration status.
    [FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Advertisement