Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnancy stretch marks

Options
  • 23-09-2011 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Im not sure if this topic belongs in this category..but its about pregnancy so i guess it does:)
    did many of you develop stretch marks? they say its genetic, but my mam had no stretch marks at all before, during or after the pregnancy. on the other hand, i have been using moisturiser everyday, with vit e, as recommended and on my 29th week im starting to notice some. no matter what i use on them they still develop and i wasnt exactly skinny before pregnancy but i guess its nothing to do with that either. any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

spicycat, I think it's genetic. Moisturising will definitely help but I don't think you can stop yourself getting them. Sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 graw123

Palmers stretch mark cream is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spicykat

its funny though (not really) but on my mothers side of family, no one has stretch marks...and on my dads-not sure.. so i wonder who gave me those useless stretchmark genes.
    graw123, i think i will go and get that today, heard alot of good reviews for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 graw123

Yeah it's really good, smells nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've been using bio-oil every day since I found out I was pregnant. 29 weeks now and none so far (feel like I'm tempting fate by writing that :o) My mam doesn't have any but my sister got them so maybe (hopefully) I inherited the no stretchmark genes. I'll keep using the bio oil just in case!

I used the Palmers stretchmark cream for a bit too but didn't like the smell of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 spicykat

I think im desperate to try anything at this stage, want to prevent them terrible things before I get even more, so gonna try palmers and bio oil, and keep fingers crossed. want to get pregnacy support belt is well, but finding it hard to find a good one in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I used the make it natural products.
    http://www.makeitnatural.com/zum_body.html
    I couldn't believe how smooth they left my tummy and they have the advantage of being natural (not something that every bothered me before being pregnant). The zum body is a really rich cream. One bottle did my entire pregnancy. I now use their baby products (called "wee") on baby hunnymonster after a swi.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, midwife told me that if my motehr got them then i was more likely to get them too. Around 32 weeks i started to get them. I was using bio-oil every day. After i had baby and my bump went down they were quite red/purple in colour, but 3months on and the redness is mostly gone out of them and they are turning silvery in colour and therefore less noticeable. When i was using bio oil i kept wondering why they werent getting better but only after i had baby did it dawn on me that because sy skin was still stretching they were obviously going to keep coming, so i guess what im trying to say is, keep your skin moisturised while your bump is still growing and then afre you have baby you can work on making them disappear and for this i would persoanlly reccomed bio oil, i used it o a scar previously and it reallt did work. And it seems to be doing the job now also. You just need to keep in mind that none of the creams or oils actually prevent stretch marks. They just help moisturise stretching skin, but as i say bio oil,in my opinion, is the thing to use after your pregnancy to help make the stretch marks fade. Best of luck with it all:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some people do some people don't.
    I have seen people use all the creams and still get them and others that did not bother and have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Here's another related Q to throw in to the mix... did anyone not get them in their first pregnancy but got them in later ones??
    I was sooo lucky first time around but not sure you dodge the bullet every time... my mam didn't get them and nor did my dad's sisters so maybe I got a dose of double lucky genes.. but again I feel like I might have jinxed it even typing this!!:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got 1 on my 2nd pregnancy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭pennypitstop

I used Bio-oil on recommendation of others. It was no use for me though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

Used bio oil (when i remembered to use it!) dont think it made any difference! i think some people are just lucky not to get them! some of my friends look the exact same after pregnancy! not me tho i got them bad on my sides, my ass! and all down my legs! but they faded alot after a gave birth, my sister on the other hand got covered in them and still has them, they dont bother me tho they will fade eventually!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

I think that if you are going to get them then you will and if your not then you wont.

I have 2 children, never used any type of cream or anything and havnt got a single stretch mark.
    My friend who applied bio oil twice a day got covered in them.

I think it is just the luck of the draw and this post is of absolutely no use to you,sorry ha..

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

yeah I had the bio oil and it has done nothing for me. I have loads of stetchmarks now and I have given up on the oil. I guess I will just have to start thinking of them as little souvenirs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My doctor says the creams don't make any difference, that the biggest cause is too much weight gain. I don't have any yet BUT I'm only 23 weeks and have a neat bump so far so we'll see!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

OP I used pure vitamin E oil night and morning religeously and only developed stretchmarks when I went overdue..

I have a few small ones around my bellybutton but nowhere else, and I am proned to them cause my Mother and Sister got them really bad after having their kids..

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

i used bio-oil and was doing fine until i went nine days overdue,then got stretch marks,my mum didn't get any on us,good luck;)

Advertisement