Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Seosamh Mac Grianna books

Options
  • 23-09-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have been trying for quite a log time now to get the following 4 books by Seosamh Mac Grianna for my father-in-law.
    Tried everywhere, local book shops, online books finders like Kennys, ABE, Rare Books, Amazon etc but no joy.
    Would anyone have one stuck in the back of a press collecting dust and be willing to sell?

Thanks

1) Ben Hur: Scéal fá Chríost (Ben Hur: A Story about Christ) Translator: Seosamh Mac Grianna 1933
    2) An Páistín Fionn, The Whiteheaded Boy ... Seosamh Mac Grianna 1934
    3) Ivanhoe. Translator: Seosamh Mac Grianna 1937.
    4) Na Lochlannaigh... Seosamh Mac Grianna 1938

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

ah, those are the ones with the sensational covers, exhibited in Boston a couple of years ago. Were they not republished?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Durnish wrote: »
    ah, those are the ones with the sensational covers, exhibited in Boston a couple of years ago. Were they not republished?
    Thanks or the reply Durnish. Have never seen the covers, but am hoping that I will someday:D

Here's the Boston cover exhibition, rem, MacGrianna was the translator so scroll thru' the pages.
    http://www.bc.edu/libraries/about/exhibits/burnsvirtual/bkcovers/6.html

Wuthering Heights and Hound of Baskervilles are my favourite covers, but not trans by Macgrianna.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Here's the Boston cover exhibition, rem, MacGrianna was the translator so scroll thru' the pages.

http://www.bc.edu/libraries/about/exhibits/burnsvirtual/bkcovers/6.html

Wuthering Heights and Hound of Baskervilles are my favourite covers, but not trans by Macgrianna.

Excellent dust covers indeed, but at this stage I would take them without.

Was half asleep when I replied last night, I actually got "Caiftín Blood" (Captain Blood) and it was in excellent condition,with its dustcover near perfect from a book dealer in Cheshire a few months back and I certainly did admire it. Ben Hur, while a very simple design, is striking.

Thanks again for the link and if you can get me the books they were on, that would be excellent......

• Advertisement
Advertisement