Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"insured" delivery

Options
  • 23-09-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all, advice needed,

I run a small furniture business in the west and regularly send small items to UK.

Recently a certain "quick" courier company delivered 5 parcels, 2 of which arrived badly damaged and 1 disappeared for 2 mths then arrived back to me damaged.

Unfortunately this wasnt found out till they were signed for and unpacked.
    they tell me that the company who handle all their UK deliveries/claims are refusing the claim.

the cost to me has been £490 stg + delivery and packaging. so touching €600!
    needless to say I cant afford this when it wasnt my fault.

Question is do I have a case for the small claims court?

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Probably wrong forum for starters , but anyway , in my opinion , the courier company have no case to answer , since the delivery dockets were signed for and goods unpacked .

In this case it is generally accepted that the goods arrived in ' good order and condition '

However , it is well known , that many receivers/employees , simply scribble / sign dockets without checking the actual contents .

Some larger companies in Ireland , actually stamp the docket ' signed and unchecked '' and later on they will issue a credit request if something is found to be damaged / lost .

In this case , the acceptance of a claim will largly depend on how valuable the business is to a supplier , and if it is on-going then a claim would mostly be processed promptly .

Sometimes , some share of the blame can be apportioned to bad packaging materials / careless wrapping at the dispatch office .

The problem with couriers , is that the parcels are handled by so many different hubs , it is impossible to establish the source for damage.

In my opinion , your best option , is to pay another courier to return the goods to you and absorb the cost .

Hopefully , long-term , you will make enough gain in order to put one bad episode behind you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

jamesbil wrote: »

the cost to me has been £490 stg + delivery and packaging. so touching €600!
    needless to say I cant afford this when it wasnt my fault.

Thanks
    James

What do you mean by ''stg'' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Skopzz wrote: »
    What do you mean by ''stg'' ?
    Sterling

Sterling

So he/she meant to say British Pound or GBP.

If the company is refusing his claim, I guess he/she can dispute the matter further. However, I think it would be good to bring up the fact that the courier had pressured him/her into signing it by claiming to be in a hurry (if that is the case). Sometimes couriers may try this tactic if they know they damaged your merchandise beforehand by dropping it on the ground, etc. That way, you could claim that you weren't afforded the opportunity to inspect your parcel. He/she will need to prepare for their dispute in more detail.

When signing for postage/shipment, it is a declaration that you have inspected and verified no damage to the merchandise. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

So he/she meant to say British Pound or GBP.

Fairly certain he/she meant to say stg as in sterling myself :)

• Advertisement

Fairly certain he/she meant to say stg as in sterling myself :)

Calling a currency sterling is ambiguous. It's actually called the British Pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

What it's actually called is irrelevant to what the OP "meant to say" ;)

And besides that the official title of the currency is Pound Sterling.

Yes the use of stg as shorthand for the currency is inaccurate as GBP is the ISO Code but I believe you're the only one who didn't understand what the OP referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Calling a currency sterling is ambiguous. It's actually called the British Pound.

Good jaysus..:rolleyes:

What it's actually called is irrelevant to what the OP "meant to say" ;)

And besides that the official title of the currency is Pound Sterling.

Yes the use of stg as shorthand for the currency is inaccurate as GBP is the ISO Code but I believe you're the only one who didn't understand what the OP referred to.

Apparently not. I am sure there are others who did not know what ''stg'' meant. I am not trying to condescend you but making up your own code/s for a currency is rather silly. At least that's my look on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Slightly off track here.....!!!!!!

G B P!!!
    english money
    uk cash
    stg
    funny money with a lady on the back!

Do you think I have a case tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

When goods are signed for with out damage being noted you normally have no case.

If you read the small print in your terms and conditions you will probably find that you will be only entitled to less than €2 per kilo if on a 24 hr service and maybe 50% of that if on 48 or 2/3 day.

The only hope you have depends on the relationship you have with your courier, if you have been a regular payer and are spending a decent few quid then they might give you something in the line of credit on your account.

You need to be persistant with out being too pushy and abusive, tell them you have won a new contract and business will be increasing soon, this might go someway to helping your case.

Thought as much, thanks.
    Trouble is these were the first 5 packages I sent to UK, and they damaged 2, lost 1, so I really dont want to trust them with more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thanks
    James
    Removed no longer up to date information on SCC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Thought as much, thanks.
    Trouble is these were the first 5 packages I sent to UK, and they damaged 2, lost 1, so I really dont want to trust them with more!

You cannot trust any courier , - damage is rife with all couriers .

They are not always to blame , as it often is the scant packaging that some firms believe they can get away with .

Follow the advice of 'theblueirish' above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 airsofter2012

every body no ws what he means dont nic pic

yeah! what he said!!!!

BTW, just recieved a delivery via DHL, 1 item was damaged.
    The driver told me this before he opened the doors, wrote it down and insisted on brining it back!
    Top marks DHL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Skopzz is back with his incorrect and badly researched crap.

To be pedantic it is Great Britain Pound or pounds sterling. The international abbreviation is either £stg or GBP. The same way the USDollar is either $US
    or USD.

But in normal everyday parlance the simple abbreviated term stg is used and understood by everyone.

BTW - any comments on your thread from months ago "advising" people to buy sterling at .85 ?? - months later and it still hasn't gone back below your "buy it now" rate!

As for the op - try as far as possible to always use a courier that has its own operation in the destination country. DPD. Is one, got larger items and pallets, dsv can be good.

maxer68 wrote: »
    Skopzz is back with his incorrect and badly researched crap.

To be pedantic it is Great Britain Pound or pounds sterling. The international abbreviation is either £stg or GBP.

Play nicely please.

It's not ''£stg'' - nobody uses that abbreviation here because it is recognized as a defacto currency abbreviation.
    The same way the USDollar is either $US
    or USD.

Wrong; it's US$ (not $US).
    But in normal everyday parlance the simple abbreviated term stg is used and understood by everyone.

And what is your scientific basis for that? It is not understood by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Skopzz the op delivered to the UK and used the form £xxx stg.

In fairness if you cant work that out well ........................

OP its kind of a grey area, if the customer signed for a box and then when the box is opened its found to be damaged the courier caould rightly claim that A it was damaged at the start ie by you, or B that the customer damaged it.

The fact that the customer signed for it is in the couriers favour. Id try and negioate with the courier on that basis of future business going his way.

Advertisement