Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 6, Episode 12 - "Closing Time"

Options
  • 23-09-2011 2:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ooh err, so given the recent news this is our penultimate helping of in-series Who until Autumn 2012. Discounting the Xmas & Easter specials that is, ahem.

It seems tomorrow's episode is - at first blush - a standalone story, with no real connection to the overall arc of this series. Nor does it seem there's any connection with the Doctor's state of mind at the end of The God Complex; he appears to be in great form. Though this could be explained by the hint that it's
    The Doctor from episode 1, who had been traveling for 200 years on his own

So my prediction is that this will be a filler episode with some light-hearted running about (with intermissions of the Doc being a bit morbid & gloomy), then the story-arc finally crashes in with about 5-10 minutes left in the episode.

Don't think there are any clips this week!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

No clips! :eek: Perhaps that's an indication that this isn't going to be a standalone episode? That showing any clips would give something away.
    Or maybe that's just because its the penultimate ep...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm just going to put it out there, but I think this is the way the series seems to be going;
    I reckon Craig is going to die. And not through sacrificing himself. I think the Doctor will try to save him from some fate, and fail. Considering the whole "The Doctor is not a God, and cannot save everyone" slant is going, I think the series is going to strike us at least one more blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yaines

I'm just going to put it out there, but I think this is the way the series seems to be going;
    I reckon Craig is going to die. And not through sacrificing himself. I think the Doctor will try to save him from some fate, and fail. Considering the whole "The Doctor is not a God, and cannot save everyone" slant is going, I think the series is going to strike us at least one more blow.

I thought you were right for a minute there! :-)

Quite enjoyed that. Some funny parts, some overly smaltzy (he killed the cybermen with "love"... really??) but a good lead into next weeks episode. Really felt for him when he saw amy & rory in the shopping centre. And at least we know who is in the spacesuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Really enjoyed the episode. It had both funny and sad moments without veering into the morbid aspects of the last series with 10.

Did not watch the "next time" bit (I never do) but am really looking forward to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Loved the episode, an love confidential too .
    I was right it is River in the astronaut suit, and it is the Doctor from the Impossible astronaut. I still say it has something to do with the coat , two doctors from two different time zone ? Just because the Doctor dies dosen't mean it is the end he a time traveller

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I found it fairly good. James Cordon is an excellent actor and enjoyed his interaction with the Dr., progressive agenda not so much. Still, it sets it up nicely for next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone else think that was the most RTD style story since Moffat took over? I thought it had many elements / motifs of that era: the suburban setting finding itself confronting the alien, the average-Joe style characters, etc. Felt a bit RTD in places - not meant as a criticism, just an observation really.

Enjoyable episode, though very much an intermission for next week's finale. My summary was kinda spot-on too: there was no connection with the overall arc beyond a few nods in that direction, with the last 5-10 minutes acting as a teaser for next week.

I guess it (kinda) blows my theory out of the water though - bar a switcheroo, I guess it's confirmed that River kills the Doctor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lads, this is Moffat's who. Just because River is-er- in the river doesn't mean she still will be in it when the astronaut kills the Doctor. I can think of about 10 ways they could pull a switcheroo right there.

Ok episode, I would agree with pixie's RTD comment, although not in a bad way. was a fun romp and I am glad there was a feeling of impending doom disaster. Really want to see the next one now.

Lads, this is Moffat's who. Just because River is-er- in the river doesn't mean she still will be in it when the astronaut kills the Doctor. I can think of about 10 ways they could pull a switcheroo

Fair point. It will be interesting to see which switcheroo they go with!

Oh, and did anyone else think the Doctor's next companion should be a baby? :-D Stormageddon FTW!

I meant to mention, Stormageddon is like a name some of my friends would come up with after a few beers. I had a genuine belly laugh when he said it.

• Advertisement

I really liked this episode, but I'm still trying to get my head around the end and other things!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

but I'm still trying to get my head around the end and other things!

I'm looking forward to sitting down with the boxset and going 'gnawyeah' repeatedly.

I liked this episode mostly, I echo the RTD sentiments, the 2nd one this season, with 'Night Terrors' kind of fulfilling that role too,
    what with the council estate and the very apparent 'Eastenders with Aliens' vibe throughout (far sight more watchable than 'Dimensions
    in Time'). It was very much the slightly schmaltzy deep breath before next week's barnstormer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Maybe I'm being a bit blond but what does rtd mean?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

RTD == Russell T Davies; the guy who was in charge of newWho for series 1-4.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

AHHHHH

total brain fart!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

It must be shielded from metacetric energy, of course!
    Of course!
    Don't worry I have an app for that!

Did any of the older Who fans get a little superior "Oh, they're talking about the second longest running sci fi series" when they mentioned Star Trek? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

nice little k9 reference too.

"robot dog, not as fun as I remember it to be"

Did any of the older Who fans get a little superior "Oh, they're talking about the second longest running sci fi series" when they mentioned Star Trek? :D

Don't you mean Stargate as the second-longest? ;) Star Trek doesn't count because it's just a series of spinoff shows in the same universe :p

pixelburp wrote: »
    Don't you mean Stargate as the second-longest? ;) Star Trek doesn't count because it's just a series of spinoff shows in the same universe :p

Pfft, series, franchise, all fall before the might of who :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭SparklersJo

One question I have to ask: what the heck was with the green lightning beam that shot out of the sonic screwdriver at the silver rat thing? Since when does the screwdriver shoot lightning laserbeams?!

Also, very interesting to see how this whole 'River is the impossible astronaut/Lake Silencio death/the Silence are River's masters' thing is going to sort itself out.

Bit disappointed that what Amy went on to do with her life was invent a perfume...really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I thought she was meant to be a super famous supermodel, no? Not that it's any better, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

After a run of excellent episodes this was a bit average - they have not really utilised the Cybermen properly in the new era. Earthshock it was'nt.
    Reminded me of that Father Ted episode where they were in the department store.

6/10 ( Last 4 episodes at least 8/10 )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Aye, was annoyed by Amy as a model / celebrity perfume "creator" bit too. My partner bought me a lego mini-fig sized Amy Pond that my daughter loves playing with. I like her having a female "action hero", the world has enough media-whoring bimbos that I have to try and prevent her from seeing as role models already thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

For a second I was hoping Amy had become the most famous kiss-o-gram in the world because that would just be hilarious.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Aye, was annoyed by Amy as a model / celebrity perfume "creator" bit too. My partner bought me a lego mini-fig sized Amy Pond that my daughter loves playing with. I like her having a female "action hero", the world has enough media-whoring bimbos that I have to try and prevent her from seeing as role models already thanks very much.

Unless they were trying to say that media whoring bimbos could also be female action heroes? A whole "don't judge a book by the cover" thing?

;) :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭White Wolf Airsoft

Hey guys iv heard rumors that the next ep is the VERY last DR who EVER is this true? hope not =(

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Hey guys iv heard rumors that the next ep is the VERY last DR who EVER is this true? hope not =(
    No that's complete rubbish. It'll be back again next Autumn. And of course they'll be a Christmas special later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

From the Doctor Who Facebook page...
    Christmas special stars revealed! Claire Skinner, Bill Bailey, Arabella Weir and Alexander Armstrong will all appear in this year's Christmas special!!! More details here! http://bbc.in/nVIFlX

• Advertisement

Or maybe even just reading the two threads in this very forum dedicated to the 2011 Xmas special & Series 7? :)

Advertisement