Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat sitter fallen through....alternate solutions?

• 23-09-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi all

Just looking for some advice from some indoor cat owners who may have tried this before?

I'm going to the UK for some self funded professional development in December and will be over there for about 10 days. I had arranged for a friend to cat sit my two 2-year old cats but now that's fallen through :( A cattery will cost me about €200 for the time span .. money I don't really have.

I travel for 2-3 days for work frequently and leave out extra litter trays and dry food and water in a dispensers and they seem to cope fine with that (they have loads of toys and space to run around in indoors). A friend has offered to try and get up to the house every 3 days to check food and water and clean the litter trays but the concern is that she may not be able to get up if the snow comes. I'm thinking of leaving out a rake more litter trays, loads of food and a tap running just in case they end up on their own for a week but am a bit worried... has anyone left their cats for that length of time successfully?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Goreygal wrote: »
    Hi all

Just looking for some advice from some indoor cat owners who may have tried this before?

I'm going to the UK for some self funded professional development in December and will be over there for about 10 days. I had arranged for a friend to cat sit my two 2-year old cats but now that's fallen through :( A cattery will cost me about €200 for the time span .. money I don't really have.

I travel for 2-3 days for work frequently and leave out extra litter trays and dry food and water in a dispensers and they seem to cope fine with that (they have loads of toys and space to run around in indoors). A friend has offered to try and get up to the house every 3 days to check food and water and clean the litter trays but the concern is that she may not be able to get up if the snow comes. I'm thinking of leaving out a rake more litter trays, loads of food and a tap running just in case they end up on their own for a week but am a bit worried... has anyone left their cats for that length of time successfully?

One of my sisters goes on longish holidays oftentimes. She has rotation of people, sometimes me, sometimes her boyfriend's sister or mother who call in on the cats morning and evening. They are too young to be left out, so little tray, food, toys is left in the kitchen. The litter gets changed twice a day, and food put down. It works fine. Shelters are pricey, and if they are of a good standard, have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

...... who call in on the cats morning and evening. They are too young to be left out, so little tray, food, toys is left in the kitchen. The litter gets changed twice a day, and food put down. It works fine. Shelters are pricey, and if they are of a good standard, have to be.

Thanks for this but I'm really looking to hear from owners who leave their cats for longer. As I said my friend would only be able to get here every 3 days or so and if the snow kicks in then probably not at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

While its far from ideal to leave them for long periods of time on their own they more than likely would be fine, even with only a couple of visits during that time. I wouldnt dream of doing the same with a dog.

The worry for me would be that if they hurt themselves in the house or got sick and werent found for a good few days. While the chances are more likely they'll be fine, they're not invincible and there is a possibilty that something bad could happen.

Is there anyone who could take them for you into their own house? If not, have at least 3 people you could possibly call to get to them if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

sorry this is prob not what you want to hear but there is no way i would be leaving my cats on there own for that lengh of time. to me 3 days on their own is unacceptible. what if they got sick while you are away? a fire broke out,etc there are 100s of things that could arise.
    if it was me and things are tight with us i would be putting a few euros a week away from now till dec to make sure that she would be looked after properly also i would be trying to work something else out for the times you travel that they are left on their own.
    if i knew someone that was leaving their cats like this esp for 10 days i would be reporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Remember when the ice thawed after Christmas last year. The roads where I live were like an ice rink, and I had to leave my cats alone in the house for 3 days. They had food, water and litter - but they had gone nuts and one of them must have tried to climb up the chimney, she was covered in soot. But then mine go outdoors to hunt, maybe your indoor cats would be calmer. I'd start saving for the cattery though. Even with litter trays you'll have crap everywhere after 10 days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

Similarly, I have two young, predominantly indoor cats. The only way around it is rotation. Our support network of friends and family do a great job for us with the norm being both a morning and an evening visit to feed and to empty the litter tray. Most times they even hang around to play and give them some attention.

In my opinion two days would be much too long, let alone three. You've got yourself a real problem, unfortunately.

Thanks all for your feedback.

I plan to reduce my time away to be able to afford to put them in a cattery for the duration as I would never purposely but them in harms way.

However I also don't live in a world where I worry about the risk fires, accidents and sickness on a daily basis (aka psychological catastrophising) and feel quite happy leaving them alone overnight if I am away on a work stay or visiting friends; they are healthy cats who have regular vetinary check-ups and the other risks are minimal. Some of us aren't lucky enough to have a local network of support due to life circumstance so try to do the best with what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Starstream

Have you thought about a petsitter? Someone calling to your house to feed and play with the cat. If you can alternate between the petsitter and your friend it should be very affordable. My cattery charges €10 per day and my petsitter charges €8 per visit. €200 is a bit much for 10 days. Google petsitters in your area and you should get a professional, affordable one.

Starstream wrote: »
    Have you thought about a petsitter? Someone calling to your house to feed and play with the cat. If you can alternate between the petsitter and your friend it should be very affordable. My cattery charges €10 per day and my petsitter charges €8 per visit. €200 is a bit much for 10 days. Google petsitters in your area and you should get a professional, affordable one.

Thanks for this:) Can I just ask how you got around the security concerns with your sitter? Did you ask for references?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Em: did you try your neighbours kids!!!! I had one on my doorstep recently looking to wLk my dog or do any jobs ! Might be worth an explore !? And easy way to get to know your neighbours: you might get a nice surprise! There might be a girl giluide/ scouts in your area where two or three could buddy up and come together: don't they have to earn badges doing that type of thing!? Or am I mad!!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have a lady who comes for an hour once a week and either irons or vaccums in that hour. She loves animals and has bonded with my cats.

When I go away, I pay her hourly rate once a day and she comes over and feeds and waters my cats, strokes them, talks to them and cleans their litter trays. Because she's been coming once a week for over two years, they know her well and greet her when she comes in. A random cat sitter would be looking for at least two of mine under the beds and behind the couches - they don't take well to strangers.

Over the longer term this works well for me - it costs me $20 a day to have my cats cared for at home when I'm away. If I was to kennel them, that would cost probably closer to $100 a day (taking into account cheap rates for additional pets).

See if you can find a local cleaner who will have references from other work and see if she's up for feeding, watering and litter trays once a day.

I wouldn't be leaving them unattended for long - I'll leave mine overnight, but that's because I'm gone Saturday AM and back Sunday AM and that's the longest I trust them to be alone.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Same problem here.I''ve had to go to london for a week and left a lot of litter in 2 or 3 deep basins with plenty of biscuits you must calculate the amounts yourself and plenty of water.2 windows open to make a draught.I've done it a few times without any problems.I hav'nt yet configured the pc to watch things for me. ANY peculiar problems are they well house trained?I had no one pay a visit not really needed if you do everthing right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Thanks for this:) Can I just ask how you got around the security concerns with your sitter? Did you ask for references?

hi,

we used to get a vet nurse or a "professional" cat sitter to look after our cats when we go away for more than 24-36 hours. Usually we would call to a veterinary practice and ask the nurses, usually they do this sort of work as an extra, or can recommend somebody. In Cork, we had somebody who came twice a day, for €15, which I think is incredible. In Dublin, it worked out again rather well: my colleague's daughter is looking after our cats when we are away. She is only sixteen, but I know that her mum would be there in a minute if there is a problem, they both know & love animals and my cats are completely charmed by her. I pay her €15/day, but maybe you can find somebody, with similar setup, even for less.
    Maybe I am naive but for me these references are enough - I mean vet practices and of course my colleague recommending somebody.

good luck, I am sure it will all work out well

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Starstream

I got a list of businesses, kennels, groomers and petsitters etc from my vet and rang a few. Our petsitter came over for a visit to meet the cat and us, and had references with her. I suppose it is a matter of handing over your house key and needing to trust this person. Our petsitter helps herself to tea and coffee etc while she's there, but crazy cat lady or not, I know she'll always mind the cat well.

Advertisement