Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

posts of responsibilty

• 23-09-2011 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was next in line for a special duties post (B post)until the moratorium came in :(. Just wondering about posts in general. (Clearly little for doing on a Friday evening!!!!)
    If and when they do come back should they be re-jigged some way?
    I know they have to be general enough that anyone can do them not just specific to the person going for it talents but is that beneficial to the school? Should teachers talents not be used to their fullest? Would the teacher feel more included or important or of use in the school and therefore give his or her best?
    What would be the best way? Eventually I'd love an A post but I'd hate my post to be lockers or something? (Apologies; absolutely no offence to anyone intended. Just me-I'd want to feel my talents were being used effectively in the school.) But is that possible I wonder without making posts too specific?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In our school (VEC) we decide as a staff what posts we need and then everyone is eligible to apply for them - no seniority 'next in line' stuff.
    Every year we re-jig the jobs the APs do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I went for interview for a post once and was told afterwards that I did a better interview than the person who got the post but they got it on seniority. It didn't bother me at the time because I knew it was going to happen and I got the next post that came up but it does seem like the wrong way to do it.

What you do, Spurious, sounds like a good idea. That way the posts are for things that are actually beneficial to the school and go to someone who has a specific interest in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

hi,

No one knows for certain but everyone that I have spoken to [senior staff/ union] has remarked the same thing - that b posts are probably gone for good. If you have one it will die with you:eek: - Sorry for being negative but I actually think this might happen [hope I'm wrong]

It is unfair and is causing huge problems when people go on maturity/retire/career break/ as their posts disappear but the work doesn't. Its also unfair on those like yourself who were next in line as such. And also students who lose out as stuff is scrapped or cut back.

trihead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

piptypibe wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was next in line for a special duties post (B post)until the moratorium came in :(. Just wondering about posts in general. (Clearly little for doing on a Friday evening!!!!)
    If and when they do come back should they be re-jigged some way?
    I know they have to be general enough that anyone can do them not just specific to the person going for it talents but is that beneficial to the school? Should teachers talents not be used to their fullest? Would the teacher feel more included or important or of use in the school and therefore give his or her best?
    What would be the best way? Eventually I'd love an A post but I'd hate my post to be lockers or something? (Apologies; absolutely no offence to anyone intended. Just me-I'd want to feel my talents were being used effectively in the school.) But is that possible I wonder without making posts too specific?

Posts still exist but in a very limited capacity. I think there is a complete ban on filling vacant B posts, but principals can apply to fill A posts where it affects the running of the school. Also under the moratorium, A posts could only be filled on the basis that the minimum number a school is expected to operate with is 1 per 100 students. My school has just over 400 students, and we are down to four posts at the moment. One, maybe two of those teachers might retire in February so I expect we would be entitled to an A post for that position. We have lost 2 in the previous year due to retirements. There are a whole load of us on B posts so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

When I got my B post and there were a few filled at the same time, we were generally matched to duties that we were best suited to.

Advertisement