Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinions on this audi a4

• 23-09-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

1997 AUDI A4, 1.9tdi with 225k on the clock.
    full service history. under 1k euro. nct to may.
    2 new tyres and new battery.

is it worth a punt?

how about parts? i hear audi second hand parts can be expensive compared to parts for mondeos or jap equivalents.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

They are a very good car and seem quite poplular. Car is fully valued at 1k with that kind of mileage but then again it is rare to get any diesel of that era with less than that mileage. If the car is clean and runs well then at 1k , you can't go too far wrong;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya was thinking that myself.

My only worry is something major going which i reckon would go in the next 20k miles like the gearbox on a car with this mileage.

what are the known issues with them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Clutch, flywheel, injectors, pump, cambelt - any of these go pop on this, it'll have to be a disposable item......its a lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

skelliser wrote: »

My only worry is something major going which i reckon would go in the next 20k miles like the gearbox on a car with this mileage.

Over all they're good solid old cars. Worth a look if it's going well. Miles don't really matter all that much on them once they've been looked after reasonably well. Second time i've said this in a few minutes today, but go sign up somewhere like vagdrivers.net, specific forum for VW/Audi stuff, they'll be able to tell you all about parts, issues, etc. Though there aren't really a lot of issues.

Again joining a make specific forum would be a help with parts, but i've never really seen many issues getting parts for something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

skelliser wrote: »

Put the car into the gear and move it left and right, if it acts the same as it does in neutral then you'll know it's the original gearbox :P Sounds good though, i wouldn't be afraid of it :)
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    Clutch, flywheel, injectors, pump, cambelt - any of these go pop on this, it'll have to be a disposable item......its a lottery.

Are you just naming parts the car has?

• Advertisement

Put the car into the gear and move it left and right, if it acts the same as it does in neutral then you'll know it's the original gearbox :P Sounds good though, i wouldn't be afraid of it :)

Probably....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

LOL.....there must be a circus in town in Limerick? :D

MidlandsM wrote: »
    LOL.....there must be a circus in town in Limerick? :D

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Those B5 A4s were great cars, the old lad had one, I used to love driving it.

The 1997 one we had was bullet proof anyway, though like all our cars, it had an oil service every 5k miles ;)

?

Someone was getting a little hot under the collar there I think so a veiled insult was brought forth. Continued in that silvia insurance thread too.

• Advertisement

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    Someone was getting a little hot under the collar there I think so a veiled insult was brought forth. Continued in that silvia insurance thread too.

Am I missing the joke though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I must have mis-read the OP, A '07 A4 diesel for less than €1000?

If its true, must be something wrong...

Its worth more that that in parts.

Am I missing the joke though?

circus...clown. It's not very funny as it was a very roundabout way of applying a juvenile insult. I've seen that exact same one before and it failed just as badly then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Mate had one for a couple of years, apart from the fact that all the wiring seemed to have been installed by a dumber than average chimp it was a fairly solid yoke

Fishtits wrote: »
    I must have mis-read the OP, A '07 A4 diesel for less than €1000?

If its true, must be something wrong...

Its worth more that that in parts.

You did, the OP says 1997, lol :)
    _Conrad_ wrote: »
    circus...clown. It's not very funny as it was a very roundabout way of applying a juvenile insult. I've seen that exact same one before and it failed just as badly then

I'm embarrassed for a regular poster to have to make that joke. It's a kinda of joke you'd make somewhere that you had no intention of returning to.

You did, the OP says 1997, lol :)

I'm embarrassed for a regular poster to have to make that joke. It's a kinda of joke you'd make somewhere that you had no intention of returning to.

That, is extremely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

so so far its been a yes.
    goin to look at this tomorrow and hopefully get a local mechanic to have a look also.

the haggling will begin if the mech says its worth it.

Don't expect to get too much off though, any solid diesel car with NCT left can get very close to a grand no matter what it is

Advertisement