Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train Price: Dublin-Cork Return

Options
  • 23-09-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭

Hi, wondering if anyone could help, I'm being quoted various prices by Irish Rail's website. Could anyone give me a concrete price on the Dublin-Cork Day Return ticket?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if anyone could help, I'm being quoted various prices by Irish Rail's website. Could anyone give me a concrete price on the Dublin-Cork Day Return ticket?

The price you are getting is about as concrete as it gets given its from the company itself. Not sure how anyone else here can have a guess at it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

tommy21 wrote: »
    The price you are getting is about as concrete as it gets given its from the company itself. Not sure how anyone else here can have a guess at it :confused:

Well, I imagine from actually having taken the train, I mean there's more a chance of finding someone here than say, the cheese forum. Really, that's as good a primary source as these things get. The Irish Rail website is notoriously unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well, I imagine from actually having taken the train. I mean, that's a premium a primary source as these things get. The Irish Rail website is notoriously unreliable.

If you are being quoted a fare price, that's the price you pay if you buy that ticket. No one here can tell what price it is because Irish Rail have special offer and reduced price fares all the time. Although if it's any use to you the last time I went on train it was €66 day return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Well, I imagine from actually having taken the train, I mean there's more a chance of finding someone here than say, the cheese forum. Really, that's as good a primary source as these things get. The Irish Rail website is notoriously unreliable.

Makes no sense, fares are cheaper online then at the station. Both are rip-offs, but are going to be more accurate then someone telling you they paid 20 euro 2 months ago for a train. Notoriously overpriced I would say, always accurate though.

Well, a general idea will suffice anyhows. Thanks for the heads up.
    Edit:

I've been told 74e from someone who's done it recently, and that they've done away with the 10e online deal.
    For that price, you could tour a significant portion of West Coast US, return. Ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi,Mr.Saturn...

If your going up,and coming not coming back the same day,the ticket is €71 or €72 Euro.

If your coming back down the same day,it's "only" €52 I think.

I'll check for defo in a bit,as My wife does that trip regular.

I guess that's aslightly better deal, thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

No bother....

It's actually €51.00 for same day return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I guess that's aslightly better deal, thanks a mil.
    , i havnt heard of anyone getting the €10 price for a while, there dosent to be too many seats at that price, you could get lucky!
    you could always get the bus up its way cheaper, it does take a bit longer, before i drove i got the aircoach loads of times, drops you into westmoreland street,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I normally book it for off peak times and its normally 20 or 30 euro return depending on the day etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Fly up while you still have the chance. Irish Rail are an absolute joke and don't deserve anyone's money. Ryanair are stopping the route next month and it's nearly always cheaper than the train. If you're living in the city, it will be much quicker even when you count getting to the airport and going into Dublin city centre. From my door in Mahon to O'Connell Street was two and a half hours the last time I did it for the princely sum of €26 return.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If you can book a few weeks ahead, you can get the €10 one way deal. If you book closer to the time it'll rise to €37 one way. Plus charges as usual.

You can also try to get a single contract ticket from your local creditunion or the like.

Advertisement