Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heroic fantasy suggestions?

Options
  • 23-09-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

hey guys first time posting here, im heading off to london for a month starting november and im looking for some books/authors to keep me occopied, My favorite author would be David Gemmell, i have every one of his books and seeing as he died a few years back there will be no more :(

I just loved the characters in his books, really larger than life heroic types, Druss and the rigante characters in particular, im also reading George RR martin's a dance with dragons which is pretty good.

Any recommendations would be great

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Mickey Zucker Reichert's "the last of the renshai" is the first book in the uh.. i think it's called renshai trilogy. she has a few books in that world, split up into 2 or 3 trilogies. haven't read them in years, but I enjoyed them quite a bit at the time.

--edit

also tad williams - memory, sorrow & thorn series. the first book starts off very slowly.. very slowly.. it's only after the half way mark that he stops kind of.. building the world and gets on properly with the plot but it's a fantastic payoff when you get to the end of the trilogy, was my favourite fantasy series before I read George r.r. martin's song of ice and fire.
    william's otherland series is excellent too, but it's more of a fantasy/sci-fi blend and is about 5 or 6 books iirc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

You can't talk about heroic fantasy without putting J.R.R. Tolkien first and foremost. He takes the best of the Northern mythologies and creates a cracking good read, with all of that legendary prose and truly grandiose vision.

Do you need any more superlatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

sorry i forgot to mention ive read the lord of the rings and the hobbit

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

Raymond E.Fiest has some great fantasy books you might like.His first was 'Magician' .heres a link to a list of his works you can check out if you want.
    http://www.crydee.com/raymond-feist/previews

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

David Gemmell - Legend.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    David Gemmell - Legend.

:D

Tony10 wrote: »
    Raymond E.Fiest has some great fantasy books you might like.His first was 'Magician' .heres a link to a list of his works you can check out if you want.
    http://www.crydee.com/raymond-feist/previews

have a nice collection of his novels as well, a nice amount a david eddings

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

If you can get the Renshai books, they are definitely worth finding and reading. Great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Korasa

I mentioned this in another thread but the Kingkiller Chronicle is a fantastic read. Two books of a planned trilogy are currently available and the Protagonist is this larger than life, well not hero but heroic type would be a better description.

If your looking for something bigger then the Wheel of Time series is enjoyable enough. Although some of the later books do get to be a bit of a chore they do bounce back again. It is a really good story if you have the time.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i actually have a few of those wheel of time books just havnt gotten around to reading them yet :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Have never really gotten over David Gemmell myself. Bought Legend when David was a new writer and 'waiting for David Gemmell's next book' was my normal state of being for so many years!

I like all of the authors mentioned above (loved Feist but was always second choice to Gemmell).
    Have you tried Brent Weeks books? They are the closest I have come to Gemmell in that way they have of engaging you so completely that the 'real' world becomes a bit less real because you are in the book (or is that just me? :o).

You might also like Katherine Kerr's books - particularly the Deverry series.

And Stephen King's Dark Tower series is good too (if you're missing Jon Shannow!).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well I'll throw in a few more:

* Malus Darkblade - Not your normal high fantasy with good hero but rather someone being an hero while being an egoist about it (Demon possed Dark Elf out to save his soul).
    * Gotrek & Felix - Standard high fantasy stuff about a Dwarf Slayer (a dwarf who's so shamed he seek his death by heroic combat) and a human getting into all sorts of trouble when walking around the world.

Both of the above come in volumes you can buy cheaply and are placed in the Warhammer world.

Deed of Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon is also a nice hero story (with good heroine) following a more standard route, first book is Sheepfarmer's daughter (I keep on rereading the series over and over).

If you wish to branch out to Fantasy you got the Dune series (epic is the best word to describe it) and of course the Foundation series by Asimov.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

sipstrassi wrote: »
    Have never really gotten over David Gemmell myself. Bought Legend when David was a new writer and 'waiting for David Gemmell's next book' was my normal state of being for so many years!

It's a good thing you're a Gemmell fan with a username like sipstrassi!:p

I second Katherine Kerr's Deverry series.

Advertisement