Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Charts 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

redsunset wrote: »
    t¦nt¦n GFS going for a greenland high ?
    To get blocking you need heights to transfer like shown to shut off the Atlantic.
    Or a Scandi linking up

182069.JPG

Unfortunately it not going to happen.

Boooo to youuuu :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I likes this run! :)
    Its a bit better than a just brief cold snap on previous runs so could bring down temps before the potential snow system comes along ! :)

386556_181273928630881_176235642468043_373054_825873884_n.jpg

378644_181274725297468_176235642468043_373055_1222616751_n.jpg

Opinions folks? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t¦nt¦n GFS going for a greenland high ?
    To get blocking you need heights to transfer like shown to shut off the Atlantic.
    Or a Scandi linking up

182069.JPG

Unfortunately it not going to happen.

I think the two HP systems have linked up on the 18z , I have just posted in the model thread 0-7 days
    Just noticed mine was from the 29th not 2nd
    Also why would you say it wont happen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I'm looking for this when i say heights rises.

archivesnh-2010-11-28-0-0.png

As you can see from what happened last November,twas a beauty.
    She shut down the Atlantic and opened up the door to the great white Siberian army:D

The Jet Stream got bent like an S hook.:D

archivesnh-2010-11-28-0-5.png

As regard to no blocking well Teleconnections not wonderful at the moment,however the New Year really could be interesting as pointed out already by M.T

Im waiting for the QBO easterly phase to get stronger (More Negative).
    I've highlighted the important bit in image as we are in La Nina.

182149.JPG

Anyway the Weather make it's own mind up.:)

Although US focused this next little piece is interesting as this person describes

"Following closely on HDD (ed: heating degree days) measures of the two previous winters, the 2011-2012 season will have similar stretches of bitterly cold weather. Both the West and Dixie regions look to get occasional breaks from the cAk regime.
    "It is the Midwest that will have the most issues with unrelenting presence of frigid air. January looks to be the key month for HDDs."

Dominated by strong 500MB ridges in the -EPO, -AO, and -NAO positions, intrusions of bitterly cold (cAk) values look to be common during the upcoming winter. In terms of temperature, the Great Plains and Midwest will suffer the most, while Texas and the Dixie states may get some breaks from the harsh domain in December and February.
    "The strongest storms will be those which occur just ahead of the frigid regimes, in the "Colorado/Trinidad" and "Panhandle Hooker" trajectories. Alberta Clipper systems may appear with some frequency as well (accounting for a major lake effect snowfall pattern in November, December and early January.

winter1112_cosgrove5H.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

i have no idea of what i read there but its looks good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Something I'm not entirely sure about, the Greenland chart you posted above has SLP of 1035hPa over Greenland which is obviously high yet its not really classed as a high.

Is this just a 'shallow' surface high and what we need is for the high pressure to rise to the upper atmosphere?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Charts showing a bit of cold from the 30-6th all subject to change on the next run

182174.png

To me looks like a blocking high but my limited knowledge I could miles off :cool:

182175.png

182176.png

-8 uppers if only it would happen

182177.png

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Models seem to be showing cold on and off the last few days for the 5th December. Must be picking up on something out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Heard on TodayFM this morning the winter freeze is going to start on the 4th December ! Maybe in FI...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

UKMO not indicating anything significant for the UK
    The generally unsettled theme looks set to continue through the early to middle part of December, with spells of wet and windy weather separated by some drier interludes. Temperatures will be largely around average, perhaps becoming slightly above average, by mid-December. However, some colder spells are still to be expected at times. Even with average or slightly above average temperatures, frosts are still likely, particularly on the clearer and more settled nights. Rainfall amounts will be around average, with the wettest weather likely across western parts and some snow probable over the higher ground of northern UK, particularly during the colder spells. Sunshine amounts are also likely to be around or slightly above average in this rather changeable regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

gens-0-3-336.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Not wrote: »
    Heard on TodayFM this morning the winter freeze is going to start on the 4th December ! Maybe in FI...

Today FM:rolleyes:....:p Are they like a "tabloid" radio station?!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

leahyl wrote: »
    Today FM:rolleyes:....:p Are they like a "tabloid" radio station?!

Strange they didn't think it would start "Today".... *groan*:P

They must read the FI thread here and hope for the best their right haha !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I'm looking for this when i say heights rises.

archivesnh-2010-11-28-0-0.png

As you can see from what happened last November,twas a beauty.
    She shut down the Atlantic and opened up the door to the great white Siberian army:D

You asshole! I scrolled down through the page and saw that chart, didn't see the date and didn't scroll down any further. Nearly had cardiac arrest! The sense of pure euphoria for those few moments!:D

Twas a good read though, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

gfs+66.png

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

gfs+162.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mild cool mild cool mild cool mild....nothing to cold, maybe some mountain snow.

t850Dublin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Even FI isn't co-operating with the snowbies :D

• Advertisement

Depression setting in :mad:

Hi Jerry,

Is that a netweather premuim feature chart?

If not, can you send the link. Cannot see it on the Netw charts section.

Meteociel have it too....

182298.gif

link tntn? Thanks

Cannot see it. My French ain't as good as it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl is getting depressed:(

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs.php

And click somewhere on the arse end of Ireland ;):D:pac:

leahyl wrote: »
    leahyl is getting depressed:(

:( .... Its only NOvember! :)... DOOOOOOOOOONNNTTTT WOOOOOOORRRRRYYY BEEEEEEEEE HAPPPPPYYYYYY :)

I had a dream about the snow last night! :D:D:D

WolfeIRE :http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ensviewer;sess

Iancar29 wrote: »
    :( .... Its only NOvember! :)... DOOOOOOOOOONNNTTTT WOOOOOOORRRRRYYY BEEEEEEEEE HAPPPPPYYYYYY :)

Thats much nicer than the meteociel one !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Iancar29 wrote: »

Oi thats my link :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The good thing about FI is that even though at the moment things look depressing after a couple of days they may change again to make us all excited and unrealistic again.

GO PURPLE IRELAND!!

Advertisement