Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

various flower seeds

Options
  • 23-09-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi. I have recently collected a few handfuls of seed from various plants (from other people's gardens...). I have lupins, foxgloves, peonies, marigolds, and some others that i don't recognise, it's just an experiment really I want to see what happens if I plant them. I'm going to dig out a bed especially for these.

Just wondering if I planted them on a tray now would they grow indoors for the winter and then be ready for planting out in spring (after hardening off)?
    Or should I just wait till spring and do the same thing?
    Or will I scatter them on the soil and let them do their own thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You'd be better off waiting till next spring to sow them (or any annuals). Light in this country will get so bad in the winter that they will struggle and won't develop to be their best. However, some like the foxgloves you mention are binennial. In other words you sow them the year before they are due to flower. They should really have been sown last June/July so they would be well established to survive winter and then they would flower next spring/summer. You might be able to get away with it for thee if you have a good south-facing convervatory but someone else would have to confirm that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Hi live at three, September is a prime month for setting seeds for next year yes by all means set them in trays and most will survive the cold weather if left in a cold greenhouse, window sill etc...

Heres a link about paeonies that describes how to grow them in particular as they need different conditions.

http://www.willowgarden.net/summer/peoniesfromseed.htm

Advertisement