Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fostering /Puppywalker question

• 23-09-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone who fosters or is a puppy walker for guide dogs - how do your own dogs react when your foster/puppy goes to their new home? Raising a guide/assistance dog is something I'd love to do. I know it'd be really hard to give the puppy back and I'd probably be heartbroken but when I see blogs eg Clive and Murray and you see the difference these dogs make it makes me think I could do it. I have a 2 year old retriever and I'm wondering how he'd be if his baby brother/sister just went away one day and never came back! I'm assuming he'd pine for them for a while and get over it but would it be cruel to do that do him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Most puppy walkers have their own dog and take on a puppy to foster. When the dog goes they are usually in their element as get plenty of attention...there can be a bit of sulking but usually its fine, never a real problem once you do transition well. Plus during the year there will be times when the dogs will be seperated..ie. holidays, puppy classes, training, neutering etc etc. Its usually not a problem once your own dog is an adult and there is a pup coming in rather than visa versa where a pup might get dependant on an older guide dog pup, your dog is already fine as an only child so to speak. Before you'd consider it for a year Id do a holiday foster first and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

suziwalsh wrote: »
    Most puppy walkers have their own dog and take on a puppy to foster. When the dog goes they are usually in their element as get plenty of attention...there can be a bit of sulking but usually its fine, never a real problem once you do transition well. Plus during the year there will be times when the dogs will be seperated..ie. holidays, puppy classes, training, neutering etc etc. Its usually not a problem once your own dog is an adult and there is a pup coming in rather than visa versa where a pup might get dependant on an older guide dog pup, your dog is already fine as an only child so to speak. Before you'd consider it for a year Id do a holiday foster first and see how you get on.

Thanks!!

Advertisement