Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to feed chickens?

• 23-09-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I give my hens layers pellets. I have 15 and I'm just not sure if im giving them too much or too little! how much should each hen get a day???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

What ever they eat in 10 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Hmm, We just put a couple of scoops of pellets and oyster grit into the feeder every day. This goes out in the morning. I figure they will eat what they need along with rooting around and geting their treats later in the day. They never eat it all of it so we'll contiue as we are doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I have only 2 hens give them the layer pallets to but some times they just dont bother with them, they seem to love lettice and a bit of dinner scraps. is your hens still laying? as im only getting an egg here and there since the winter came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmm, We just put a couple of scoops of pellets and oyster grit into the feeder every day. This goes out in the morning. I figure they will eat what they need along with rooting around and geting their treats later in the day. They never eat it all of it so we'll contiue as we are doing!

If they never eat all of it, feed them less. The excess food attracts rats, mice and local birds. The birds may not seem as bad as the vermin, but it increases the risk of disease spreading to your flock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

If they never eat all of it, feed them less. The excess food attracts rats, mice and local birds. The birds may not seem as bad as the vermin, but it increases the risk of disease spreading to your flock.

They get their food in the morning and it's suspended under the house. They are in a huge enclosed run and can peck away at the pellets as they wish. The food is taken away when they are out free ranging and at night. We do our best to ensure the food is not accessible to other animals or birds while it's out. The dog urinates around the run which apparantly is a deterant to foxes, don't know if that's true, and we have 2 stray cats that hang around during the day and sleep beside the hen house at night. They are afraid of the girls but again they are a deterrent for four legged animals.
    The hens get their scraps late afternoon then and any that is not eaten is also removed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement