Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car tax and insurance information

• 23-09-2011 8:53pm

ok want to buy a 2 litre nissian siliva, this would be my first car and have only a provisional license, im 19, would it be possible to be allowed insure it and tax it and would the price be skyhigh

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

ok want to buy a 2 litre nissian siliva, this would be my first car and have only a provisional license, im 19, would it be possible to be allowed insure it and tax it and would the price be skyhigh

:confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not a hope of insuring that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

first car?
    0 no claims bonus?
    2lt silvia?
    provisional licence?
    ha ha i think ur liveing in dream land if u think you can insure this under 5k :p
    and the joker of the week award goes to.......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

did you only win the irish lottery or the euromillions ?

depending itll either pay the insurance for 1 year or 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Have you never seen the no nonsense car insurance ad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

TheBody wrote: »
    Have you never seen the no nonsense car insurance ad?

you can be insured, but you want at least 6grand to do lol, not worth it imo, get your lisence and when your over 21 itl drop down a GREAT deal:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MidlandsM wrote: »
    :confused::rolleyes:

Yet again we expect everyone to know everything :)

OP you haven't much hope, best of starting small until you're 21 and you'll have a good chance then. The 2.0 non turbos aren't that highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dax121 wrote: »
    first car?
    0 no claims bonus?
    2lt silvia?
    provisional licence?
    ha ha i think ur liveing in dream land if u think you can insure this under 5k

That dream-land is not that far.

I just check with one of online insurance calculators in Poland.
    Actually not for Nissan Silvia, as this was never available there (maybe there was no LHD version), but I checked with 2003 subaru Impreza WRX STI for 19 year old with 0 years driving experience.

€650 per annum third party only, or between €1000 - €1700 for comprehensive depending on chosen options (excess, level of cover, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

You must have saved up quite a bit of pocket money to contemplate buying and insuring a siliva :)

Hmmmm only nissan you will insure is a Nissan Micra unless your a farmers son and he rings fbd to tell them you need it for farming:)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

If you get a quote which I assume you wont considering age/lack of driving experience you will be paying a fortune , to be honest it's a silly first car to buy . Too much power for a first car at your age imo . Buy something normal and within a couple of years move up and buy something with a bit more life in it . Best of luck with it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

CiniO wrote: »
    That dream-land is not that far.

I just check with one of online insurance calculators in Poland.
    Actually not for Nissan Silvia, as this was never available there (maybe there was no LHD version), but I checked with 2003 subaru Impreza WRX STI for 19 year old with 0 years driving experience.

€650 per annum third party only, or between €1000 - €1700 for comprehensive depending on chosen options (excess, level of cover, etc).

Maybe in Poland my friend, but you are going to get your arse handed to you by Irish insurers for your combo of age/experince/car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Yet again we expect everyone to know everything :)

OP you haven't much hope, best of starting small until you're 21 and you'll have a good chance then. The 2.0 non turbos aren't that highly rated.

defo a circus on in limerick these days.............:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

MidlandsM wrote: »
    defo a circus on in limerick these days.............:D:D

There are often visiting ones from time to time in Limerick, but he's not in them, and despite having taken up the entire thread about the "new" interceptor due to he and I debating the merits of recreating old long dead car models, and the fact that he's too fond of VW golf 4/bora 1.4s :D He's actually quite sensible and to give a reasoned, measured answer is a preferable response to an admittedly silly thread in my opinion. As is the decision to question the immediate all guns blazing approach to new posters with silly questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think its fair safe to say you havent a hope. The fact your on a provisional licence never mind your age is a hinderance.

My advice is to get yourself a 1 litre car like a corsa or fiesta or similar for a year, pass your test and then see where you are.

Once you have passed your test depending on the insurer you could use your third party extension from the 1 litre to drive the silvia.

At the moment im just going to assume youve never even driven a rear wheel drive car before, it requires a different driving style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Would it be wrong of me to suggest passing your test first and then thinking of purchasing a car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

You'd do well to get the driving tester to pass you when driving a sliva.

Go for a smaller engine.

You'll get robbed on juice too.

Advertisement