Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm terrible at English!

• 23-09-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I'm in 5th year at the moment and I am really bad at English! I went down from a B in the Junior Cert in English. I did TY but we didn't do any English during that year and not much writing in 3rd year. I have a really good teacher now though. I need really high points for Medicine and English is my worst subject. I used to read for hours every night but now I simply just don't have time. I only finish my homework at 9 on a good day and I am just always so tired so I dont get to read. I read good books though like ones on the syllabus. I am going to start reading more again so hopefully that will help. However we are doing poetry at the moment and I just don't think out of the box! Other people come up with these brilliant explanations, metaphors and meanings but I just come up with simple adjectives etc and have no nice phrases I can use (granted these people are brilliant at English - around 3 of them).
    How can I become better at English apart from reading?
    Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

English is really hard as you first come into 5th year, its so different to JC. In all honesty you don't need to be the first one to see all the metaphors and such, just enjoy the poetry. In fact its not a half bad idea to read widely just in terms of poetry and also listen. And in terms of questions, refer back to the question in every single point. Just keep repeating yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I read good books though like ones on the syllabus. !

That's part of the problem. The books on the syllabus don't really encourage you to think outside of the box! Try to find something you might enjoy reading, or something you might not normally read. That'll get some fresh thoughts into your mind. There's not much else of an alternative to reading. Better get used to all the reading that comes in college when you do medicine ;)

www.goodreads.com is a great website for looking for the perfect book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Well, I thought I was terrible at English, and I managed a B2 in the Leaving Cert. I got plenty of Ds and Fails throughout the year, so I thought I was bad at it. Stuck at it anyway, kept in higher level, it turned out to be one of my better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

With English, you're in luck, what one person thinks is terrible could be someone else's idea of good.

Relax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I think I probably over exaggerate but I would love an A!
    I do read other books than the ones on the syllabus too.
    Are there any good websites or any ways to improve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I think I probably over exaggerate but I would love an A!
    I do read other books than the ones on the syllabus too.
    Are there any good websites or any ways to improve?
    Boards.ie helped improve my English a great deal. Online debates (And offline debates!) act as a great exercise for your command of English. The only way to improve your command of English is to work consistently at it.

I posted a lot of advice for LC English in this post a few weeks ago. You may find it useful.

Advertisement