Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is best value smartphone / network package?

Options
  • 23-09-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Smartphone is a very broad term these days. What are you looking for?

And it's the same with "Network Package". What are you looking for? Calls and texts mainly? Just calls mainly? Data? Roaming? etc etc

It's like asking whats the best car available...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Smartphone is a very broad term these days. What are you looking for?

And it's the same with "Network Package". What are you looking for? Calls and texts mainly? Just calls mainly? Data? Roaming? etc etc

It's like asking whats the best car available...

Would like to be able to receive emails, Facebook & Twitter friendly, Google maps capabilities, You Tube.

Would like a touchscreen (as I think they work best?)

3G and WIFI equally important

No operator preference, prefer bill pay. Would make most calls outside business hours, text alot. Use a fair bit of data.

No price range if value for money. Had an iphone before just wondering if anything at lower price (eg Samsung or htc etc) that gives equal performance?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Three, by a country mile, if you have good reception. Get a free sim from your local 3 shop and try it out well before committing.

Three, by a country mile, if you have good reception. Get a free sim from your local 3 shop and try it out well before committing.

Why you rate them so highly can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Free Iphone or Galaxy S2, €40 a month, all you can eat data, free add on, mine is 150 any network texts, 350 flexi units, a flexi unit being 1 minute call or 2 texts. Only drawback is it's a 24 month contract, and in my area at least, the reception is brilliant

• Advertisement

xz wrote: »
    Free Iphone or Galaxy S2, €40 a month, all you can eat data, free add on, mine is 150 any network texts, 350 flexi units, a flexi unit being 1 minute call or 2 texts. Only drawback is it's a 24 month contract, and in my area at least, the reception is brilliant

Thanks - are there any coverage issues with the 3 network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

some people report a 2G/3G issue, but as said before, get a free SIM and check it out first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why you rate them so highly can I ask?

By far the best value on the market at present. I had a small account with them for 2 years, but I used that phone mostly for calls to the UK.The phone was kept at home so I got a free sim from them in August and have been testing it on my travels over the past few weeks. I'll be jumping to them next week. By the way , if you go with them, consider the option of a sim-only contract initially. Its a 30-day contract. Tesco will be launching their bill-pay plans in the next few weeks and IMO this will surely shake up the market. It may pay you to keep your options open for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

What ever network you're considering make sure you get a free pre pay sim first and test out the signal. You want to see good 3G signal if you're going to be using a smartphone. Dont just assume it'll be good. Test first and save yourself any hassle later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I'm also asking the same question. I've looked at the package from three and it's not bad, but I'm not thrilled about the 24 month contract - and the phones get a little too pricey for my liking even for the 18 month offering.

Meteor seem more reasonable, but the phone I'm looking at (Galaxy S II) isn't available online so I'll call into a store tomorrow to check availability. Does anyone have any experience with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm currently with Meteor on their top €85 per month "free calls/texts to everyone + 5GB data package) using a Desire HD, but the contract is up this month and I'm looking at my options..

Pre-requisites:
    - Free calls and texts to all networks (which I'm guessing pretty much rules out O2 and Vodafone anyway?)
    - Data.. I doubt I even use the 5GB I have now (as I connect over wireless most of the time or use a PC/laptop), but I don't want to be paying silly rates either
    - Decent range of phones. Being an IT type, I like my gadgets :)

So unless I'm wrong that leaves me with Meteor or eMobile (basically the same crowd of course), except eMobile is cheaper:

- Their equivalent package to what I'm on now is €64 per month and offers 15GB data rather than 5
    - They seem to have a decent range of handsets too.

So, is it the no-brainer it seems, or am I missing out on something from the other networks? What about new phones? I very much like my Desire HD (screen size being the main attraction as I have fat fingers :p) but I keep hearing how the Galaxy S II is even better - or would I be better hanging on for a month or two and see what's offered in the pre-Xmas rush?

I'm also in two minds about staying with Android (this is my 2nd one) which I find good but requires far too much tweaking (by way of custom ROMs and constant updates afterwards) to get the best out of it, or maybe making the jump to Windows Phone 7 (which is still possibly missing a lot of what I'd now take for granted?).
    Then there's the iPhone. Never had one, doesn't particularly appeal to me either, but is the imminent iPhone 5 worth thinking about?

Any opinions greatly appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

wondering what options are available myself. I currently have €40 a month and get 150 minutes to any mobile free, 100 texts, 10mms. I have an iphone 3Gs. Due an upgrade soon with O2.

Basically wondering what options are available and who to go to or stay put. I want a decent phone similar to what I have but wondering is the HTC all it's cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

It looks like everyone is asking the same question, unfortunately few answers forthcoming.

So I've done a little research and have done some basic comparisons that suit my purposes. I would be a light to medium user of the phone, I run through around 60 minutes a month and 100 texts (on average). I would be a fairly heavy data user, maybe 500 - 600 Mb a month.

I would have some other considerations, namely.

1. Smartphone - I'm looking at the Galaxy S II unless there is a particular reason why I shouldn't. I've used the original Galaxy S and it was a great phone (at least until someone stole it) so at least I would be familiar with its interface.

2. Contract length. A 2 year contract is out for me. I don't want to be stuck with a carrier that length of time as I don't even know if I'll be in the country two years hence. 18 months is the max I will stomach, preferably 12 month, but of course the price will notch up if I do that.

3. Coverage. No point paying for something I can't use. I do a bit of travelling down the country so I'll want both data and mobile coverage.

Vodafone:
    These are the crowd I'm currently with, and I'm eligible for an upgrade as I'm out of contract. Obviously they want to keep me for another stint, so they package they're urging is:

€45 for 100 mins, 100 texts and 500Mb per month, and the phone is €200 for the 18 month contract and €100 for the 24 month offering.

O2:
    Similar package offerings appear to be:
    18 Month: €40per month. 250 mins, 250 texts, 150Mb data per month. Phone is €260
    12 Month: €45per month. 250 mins, 250 texts, 150Mb data per month. Phone is €260

I can't say I'm impressed with either the cost of the phone or the size of the data allowance. The allotment of calls and texts is generous enough, but I doubt my usage would be that heavy. They also offer a 12 month option, which not all providers do, but at a premium of €60 over the 12 months.

Three:
    The three offering that best suits my needs appears to be the "classic flex max" plan. [edit] Available in 18 or 24 month offerings I get the following deal:

€40 per month. 350 "flex" units (1 unit = 2 texts or 1 minute) and "all you can eat" data, which I presume means unlimited data allowance. Phone is free on 24 month, €170 on 18 month contract [/edit]

This is a very attractive offer for me. My concern is about coverage, and whether if I go "down the country" I'll get that coverage. I'd like to decide quickly on this, so some research on this is required. A point of note is that the out of package phone and text costs are quite high (34c per minute IIRC) so I'd need to watch my usage.

Annoyingly, they only offer the 24 month package online. I'll need to call in store presumably to go 18 month.

Meteor:
    Meteor also appear to offer a pretty attractive price plan

18 month €30 per month (online) 200 texts and minutes, 1Gb data allowance.
    12 month €35 per month (online) 200 texts and minutes, 1Gb data allowance.

I am unable to find the cost of the phone as it is out of stock on the website. Not impressed by this as it is a popular model. I checked the previous generation Galaxy S and the cost is €70 so I can only presume the newer one will cost more. I tried ringing their sales department but couldn't afford to wait for long so they earn some negative points there as well I'm afraid (I've never had any delay or trouble reaching Vodafone for queries).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I'm with emobile since they launched. I'm paying €69 (eircom customer) it's unlimited call, texts and 15gb data which you can tether. There data at first was a bit poor but since they launched the iPhone their data has been excellent. I get 3mb down and up in Dublin, Meath, and Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

swiss wrote: »

Three:
    The three offering that best suits my needs appears to be the "classic flex max" plan. [edit] Available in 18 or 24 month offerings I get the following deal:

€40 per month. 350 "flex" units (1 unit = 2 texts or 1 minute) and "all you can eat" data, which I presume means unlimited data allowance. Phone is free on 24 month, €170 on 18 month contract [/edit]

There are limits on the Three data service, of 15Gb a month, which is quite large, but it's still a limit. The 'All you can eat' has been described as a 'scam' as you cannot eat data, and so the offer is meaningless in that respect.

In other words, it's not clear that an 'all you can eat' data service means unlimited data, and in this case it doesn't.

I agree it should be clear, but it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Dont think anyone can match meteor at the moment.

On 30 quid a month
    12 month contract
    200 mins & 200 texts
    Samsung sgs2 only 150 when moving number.
    1 gig data

All the other providers have 18 or 24 month :eek: contracts and the
    phone seemed cheapest with meteor aswell

If you need more minutes you can get 400 & 400 texts for 40 a month
    for 12 months and 50 for the remaining 6. (18 month contract for this one)

Also threes out of bundle charges are the most expensive (think its
    something like 10 cent more per call)

There are limits on the Three data service, of 15Gb a month, which is quite large, but it's still a limit. The 'All you can eat' has been described as a 'scam' as you cannot eat data, and so the offer is meaningless in that respect.

In other words, it's not clear that an 'all you can eat' data service means unlimited data, and in this case it doesn't.

I agree it should be clear, but it's not.
    The data is unlimited but after 15GB's usage in a single month they may (emphasis on may as some people have reported not being) throttle the speed you get but they wont cut you off or charge you.

Hi all,

Just to let you know I went for the 3 40euro / month iphone 4, 2 year deal package last week.

Coverage is good

Congrats. Enjoy it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Hi all,

Just to let you know I went for the 3 40euro / month iphone 4, 2 year deal package last week.

Coverage is good
    I'm out of contract soon with VF and very tempted to switch to this deal with 3.But theres a lot of negative comments, here and elsewere, regarding coverage and customer service.Would hate to be locked into a 2 year contract with crap coverage/service.

• Advertisement

I've seen it but I personally can't fault their cc, especially on boards. I haven't had to use it too much though. I would advise getting a free three pre pay sim and test the 3G signal where you live work and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

toby2111 wrote: »
    I'm out of contract soon with VF and very tempted to switch to this deal with 3.But theres a lot of negative comments, here and elsewere, regarding coverage and customer service.Would hate to be locked into a 2 year contract with crap coverage/service.

There's a lot of negative comments about all the networks here and probably Vodafone and Meteor more than any other networks. Vodafone & Meteor customer care are a disgrace. You'll be jumping up the ladder not going down, I wouldn't have an fear.
    Don't buy online and you'll have a lot easier time if you do have a coverage issue when you get it but I doubt you will.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I would advise getting a free three pre pay sim and test the 3G signal where you live work and play.

Good idea.I've an iphone 3gs with VF-is it easy to get it unlocked from VF so I can test other networks?
    Also I read here that when 3 network loses 3G,it switches onto VF 2g and with the iphone 3gs,you have to manually put it back onto 3gs.Maybe I read this wrong?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I've seen it but I personally can't fault their cc, especially on boards. I haven't had to use it too much though. I would advise getting a free three pre pay sim and test the 3G signal where you live work and play.

They dont give test SIMs any more but allow 14 day returns policy if coverage bad.

I find 3's iphone 4 coverage better than my old o2 iphone 4GS so far!! Could be areas I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Good idea.I've an iphone 3gs with VF-is it easy to get it unlocked from VF so I can test other networks?
    Also I read here that when 3 network loses 3G,it switches onto VF 2g and with the iphone 3gs,you have to manually put it back onto 3gs.Maybe I read this wrong?

Yes but your Vodafone iphone also switches to between 2G & 3G, only difference is you'll have more 3G coverage with 3G, a 3Gs wouldn't be a good phone for testing on 3, I had one and got rid of it after a few weeks. Coverage was rubbish on it, I was already on 3 when I got it so knew it wasn't the network.

They dont give test SIMs any more but allow 14 day returns policy if coverage bad.
    Do I have to prove coverage is bad?Obviously if it was good,I would stay with 3 but I doubt they would let a new customer out of a 2 year contract without much of a fight.

Do I have to prove coverage is bad?Obviously if it was good,I would stay with 3 but I doubt they would let a new customer out of a 2 year contract without much of a fight.

Well I asked a guy in a shop and he said they won't be harsh about it but I guess they could pinpoint it on a map there and identify if it is a coverage issue.

They called it the DRN clause iifc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes but your Vodafone iphone also switches to between 2G & 3G, only difference is you'll have more 3G coverage with 3G, a 3Gs wouldn't be a good phone for testing on 3, I had one and got rid of it after a few weeks. Coverage was rubbish on it, I was already on 3 when I got it so knew it wasn't the network.

3 -> have to toggle airplane mode to force switchback manually.
    Vodafone -> just works like it should, phone auto switches.
    Other networks -> just works.

Affects android as well. 3 refuse to acknowledge the problem. Nothing to do with signal, affected me in Dublin city center. Was so bad I switched away from 3.

srsly78 wrote: »
    3 -> have to toggle airplane mode to force switchback manually.
    Vodafone -> just works like it should, phone auto switches.
    Vodafone doesn't always auto switch were I live,sometimes I have to toggle airplane mode on/off also to get 3G.Seems I'm in a patchy Vodafone reception area so my fear is that the 3 reception will be even worse.Pity cos it's a really good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Wouldnt touch a 2 year contract.

Advertisement