Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of Garda stations in Donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

How would the closure of the stations effect crime? If someone breaks into my house and steals something, no matter how near the station is they will escape:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Seeing as a lot of them have the doors closed and they dont answer the phone I cant see it making much difference to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Beleive me it make a big difference when if you live in a border area, as in Killea / Carrigans and the nearest barracks is well over half an hours drive away, i'm talking emergenct suitations here. The carrigans barracks was up untill very recently the main barracks (per garda numbers) up untill they opened up the buncranna barracks. Losing that alone will likely mean more break in's in the area as they know the slim chance they had of being caught is now alomst gone!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

people can say what they like about the guards about them being slow to respond and what not but they are not sitting on their ass just waiting on someone to call ,guards are very busy all the time and are under staffed most of the time so if they don't get to the scene of a crime in like 2 min like most people think they should just cut them a bit of slack if you want to give out about anyone give out to the Government as its their fault, oh and i think it will have a big effect on rural areas closing these small stations if anything there should be more of them opening and more guards taken on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Beleive me it make a big difference when if you live in a border area, as in Killea / Carrigans and the nearest barracks is well over half an hours drive away, i'm talking emergenct suitations here. The carrigans barracks was up untill very recently the main barracks (per garda numbers) up untill they opened up the buncranna barracks. Losing that alone will likely mean more break in's in the area as they know the slim chance they had of being caught is now alomst gone!:mad:

The proximity of the Barracks seems to be no deterrent to todays criminals, I live about 150 yards away from Buncranas new barracks and the number of break inns and incidents of cars being broken into and stolen has risen since the barracks was built and staffed beside me:eek:..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Buncrana and Carrigans are two completely different garda districts and even if there were 1000 guards in buncrana it would mean nothing to carrigans as its in the letterkenny area.

Anyway it wont make any difference that i can see, the guards will still be there, they'll just be based somewhere else but will still patrol their original areas, the only times it will make a difference is when people need forms/passports signed and have to travel further to get them stamped/signed.

And sure look at it this way, blaming/moaning about the guards is a national past-time so this only gives people more ammunition for their moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

people can say what they like about the guards about them being slow to respond and what not but they are not sitting on their ass just waiting on someone to call ,guards are very busy all the time and are under staffed most of the time so if they don't get to the scene of a crime in like 2 min like most people think they should just cut them a bit of slack if you want to give out about anyone give out to the Government as its their fault, oh and i think it will have a big effect on rural areas closing these small stations if anything there should be more of them opening and more guards taken on

When 2 lads get jumped outside Voodoo and end up getting a kicking that leaves them both in hospital when the guards are in the area and another lad tells them what happened and points to the 3 lads that done it and guards say that they much more important stuff to do.

When you ring a garda station that is in the biggest town in Donegal and they won’t answer

When me and my mates rang the cops to say that there was 2 drunk lads giving abuse to some tourist they eventually answered and said they’d investigate, couple of minutes later no sign so mate climbs over wall to take a pee (we were waiting around to make sure that they didn’t do anything bar shout at girl) 2 guards eventually show up and take more interest in me and the mate that’s peeing than anything that we tell them is going on, we try and get them to call HQ or whatever to confirm our story or anything. Only when they hear a glass getting broken down the road and then decide to investigate that.

As far as I’m concerned these couple of incidents along with the rest I’ve experience and heard (only one positive story ever!) I have absolutely no respect for them or what they “do”.

Maybe we wouldn’t need AS many guards if they actually cared about their jobs instead of what overtime they can get away with

I mean look at Rathmullen, no guards stationed there for years. nearest one was either milford/ramelton or god forbid letterkenny or Buncrana. no mad violence or break ins, only time guards were needed was the bank holiday when thousands decend for whats seem to have turned into a 3 day drinking session for scumbags.

Less guards of better quality yes we'll have that no prob
    less guards that are the same as present ... f*ck that

Advertisement