Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with the fireworks?

Options
  • 23-09-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Down at the harbour. My dogs are going nuts & the cats are cramming themselves into tiny spaces. Looks absolutely amazing from Windgates!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Official harbour opening. Who knew it was 2014 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

There doesn't seem to have been very good advertising for this, I didn't hear anything about it until I saw loads of people walking down this evening. I would have gone if I wasn't just home from work.

Was there signs for it around anywhere?

Unfortunately it appears to have not been publicised well enough around the area.
    Culture Night was advertised on www.wicklow.ie and also on www.greystonesguide.com as well as the Wicklow/Bray People but I didn't see any posters locally for it.
    http://www.greystonesguide.com/calendar/calendar_day/5783966/2011-9-23.htm
    6175939109_f074090204_z.jpg
    Fireworks at Greystones Harbour by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bearh72

nice pic's john, didn't know the display was on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

First I heard of this was what i thought was war breaking out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

John, Nice pics there. Didn't see you around at all.

6177569576_7f19a68974_z.jpg
    Greystones Culture Night Fireworks by JayGriffin, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

First I heard of it was late last night - seems to have been really poorly advertised. The taxi driver who took me home last night was saying the same thing, that all the other drivers and passengers yest evening were annoyed there wasnt more publicity because theydve gone down had they know it was on. Such a shame because photos look fantastic...

eleMental wrote: »
    First I heard of it was late last night - seems to have been really poorly advertised. The taxi driver who took me home last night was saying the same thing, that all the other drivers and passengers yest evening were annoyed there wasnt more publicity because theydve gone down had they know it was on. Such a shame because photos look fantastic...

I only knew about it because The greystones camera club were doing shots there.

I was working around greystones yesterday day time and spoke to a large number of people and none of them knew anythingbout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 grace143

Guys I had 40 posters around the town including Charlesland and Eden Gate & Kilcoole. It was on East Coast Radio, parish bulletins, Facebook and two major pieces over the past two weeks in the Bray people and North Wicklow Times. It was even on the GUBOH facebook page. I did not have the budget to send a flyer around to every home. Sorry you missed it. Estimated crowd last night was 7500 people (per Gardaí), so they all knew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

grace143 wrote: »
    Guys I had 40 posters around the town including Charlesland and Eden Gate & Kilcoole. It was on East Coast Radio, parish bulletins, Facebook and two major pieces over the past two weeks in the Bray people and North Wicklow Times. It was even on the GUBOH facebook page. I did not have the budget to send a flyer around to every home. Sorry you missed it

I personally saw it on a number of the above sites. Plus, it was listed quite prominently in the Irish Times on Friday......listed as one of the top 5 open air events to be held. Not bad when you consider how funding has been cut for sooo much of last few years.

Well done to all involved, was a great night and cool to be relaxed enough that they let the Greystones Camera Club in front of the wall to get some cool shots.

Here's to next year!

grace143 wrote: »
    Guys I had 40 posters around the town including Charlesland and Eden Gate & Kilcoole. It was on East Coast Radio, parish bulletins, Facebook and two major pieces over the past two weeks in the Bray people and North Wicklow Times. It was even on the GUBOH facebook page. I did not have the budget to send a flyer around to every home. Sorry you missed it. Estimated crowd last night was 7500 people (per Gardaí), so they all knew!

It was a great night so many congratulations on that. Cant believe i had missed all those promotions of the event. Well done though to everyone involved.

The new harbour is going to make a great central point for the community and cant wait to see more events heald there.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

It was a very well organised event and it was great to see such a large turn out.
    More photo's taken by the Greystones Cameras Club can be seen here:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/greystonescameraclub/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Shame about poor publicity... I know every time a car boot sale is on, as the signs are up on wind gates, saw nothing like this for the fireworks.

One at the railway station would have worked too. Hopefully lessons can be learned.

East coast is very pensioner focussed as are the bray people and the parish bulletins...

Still look like a great night.. Thanks John for your usual great shots.. Have considered blogging photos and updates as you are always on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

So now that its officially opened when is it going to be finished and is the 30kph speed limit now reverted back to the normal 50kph

(i only say this as two weeks ago when i seen it last there was a lot of building material still around on the approach to the harbor.)

popsmar wrote: »
    So now that its officially opened when is it going to be finished and is the 30kph speed limit now reverted back to the normal 50kph

(i only say this as two weeks ago when i seen it last there was a lot of building material still around on the approach to the harbor.)

The fireworks were for culture night event not the opening of the harbour. As far as i know the harbour has not been officially opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shame about poor publicity... I know every time a car boot sale is on, as the signs are up on wind gates, saw nothing like this for the fireworks.

One at the railway station would have worked too. Hopefully lessons can be learned.

East coast is very pensioner focussed as are the bray people and the parish bulletins...

Still look like a great night.. Thanks John for your usual great shots.. Have considered blogging photos and updates as you are always on the spot.

This was advertised in a wide range of places so I really don't see why there are still people giving out about poor publicity and there were posters in the door of the vacant office beside the train station. Perhaps you just missed them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

This was advertised in a wide range of places so I really don't see why there are still people giving out about poor publicity

I heard about Culture Night and saw a link to the full programme including Greystones events in some pensioner-focused message board two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Jimjay wrote: »
    The fireworks were for culture night event not the opening of the harbour. As far as i know the harbour has not been officially opened.

I too also think it was for Culture Night and not the Harbour opening. if it was the harbour opening why was it locked up tight again the next morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It WASN'T the harbour official opening. Blandpebbles was being sarcastic in post #2.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Jaysus, why does everything have to turn into a controversy around here.

It was a great night and one of the finest firework shows i've seen for some time. It was great to see such a massive turnout and no hassle anywhere. The kids loved it, we loved it and from what I could see, everyone around us loved it.

For those of you moaning about the lack of advertising, 7500 people can't be wrong. May I suggest that you start opening your eyes a little, read some local rags and generally involve yourselves in the community. Nobody is going to spoon feed you this stuff, nor should they.

As for Grainne and everyone else involved, well done and thanks :)

Swanner wrote: »

It was a great night and one of the finest firework shows i've seen for some time. It was great to see such a massive turnout and no hassle anywhere. The kids loved it, we loved it and from what I could see, everyone around us loved it.

For those of you moaning about the lack of advertising, 7500 people can't be wrong. May I suggest that you start opening your eyes a little, read some local rags and generally involve yourselves in the community. Nobody is going to spoon feed you this stuff, nor should they.

I think the fireworks were one of the best I have seen. I have been to many fireworks nights in the uk and this was much better. I think the setting also helped, seeing the fireworks above the harbour walls with the sea in the background was just amazing.

I am glad I had the opportunity to go and take full responsibility for not seeing any of the many adverts for this. I must take more notice. One thing though I am amazed it wasn't mentioned on boards.ie before the event.

Jimjay wrote: »
    I think the fireworks were one of the best I have seen. I have been to many fireworks nights in the uk and this was much better. One thing though I am amazed it wasn't mentioned on boards.ie before the event.
    pixbyjohn wrote: »

It was mentioned here on the 8th September 2011 .

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭NCONTHEMC

I'm a first time poster and am only coming out of hiding to agree that the harbour fireworks were fantastic - especially considering tight budgets etc. Was well worth the wait ... :) ps great photos

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ua1out

It was a great night and a fireworks worth waiting for.

Here is a 2 min video. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhEpjw-fbY0

ua1out wrote: »

Love your username. dasvidaniya de ei2fn

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Swanner wrote: »

swanner - noone is disagreeing with you that it was a fantastic event. the purpose of this forum (i thought) was to discuss and debate local stuff, get opinions, hear what everyone has to say, not to ultimately decide which opinion is right or wrong.

yes, clearly there was some good advertising - to your point, 7,500 people cant be wrong, i totally agree.. however, based on the feedback here, there are also some people who think it wasnt advertised as well as it could be. maybe we were looking (or not) in all the wrong places, maybe we're not as involved as others, but its still the opinion of some and it should still count, not just be dismissed, but also taken on board. i think the general sentiment here is that people were more disappointed than having a pop, because they would like to have gone, thats all. and the photos only helped reiterate what a class night it seemed to be.

maybe there's lessons here all round. the people who didnt know, yep, need to read, google, listen more and get up off the couches and get more involved locally. but perhaps also for the next time round (and i really hope there is one because i adore fireworks) the organisers might look to publicise the event a bit differently, thats all.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Love your username. dasvidaniya de ei2fn

Ádh mór ort es 73 :-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

I too also think it was for Culture Night and not the Harbour opening. if it was the harbour opening why was it locked up tight again the next morning?

The harbour is not yet open to the public. This was a special dispensation for Culture Night. Sispar have not yet given a date for opening of the South Harbour to the public.

There's a whole thread on this here on the boards, at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719277&page=62

You can get GUBOH at http://greystonesharbour.org/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/greystones/
    Greystones Guide also covers harbour news at http://www.greystonesguide.com/greystonesharbour.html

Greystones Guide is always up to date with events in the area, so checking there will keep all you who missed the Fire & Light Fest up to date with future doings...

Advertisement