Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous Kung Fu Fighters (historical and present day)

• 23-09-2011 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

http://www.polariswushu.net/halloffame.html

Above is a link from an American site, recording some historical and present day Kung Fu fighters, some of you may find of interest.

Although many nowadays think of Kung Fu as more of a performance art, in most cases it certainly is, most of the famous style founders were notable Lei Tai fighters. My Sifu once told me that there are never more than a handful of tai chi fighters at any one time. I believe this true for every style. The real deal is a rare find! Perhaps it always was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I remember (years ago) reading about the competitions in UK in "Martial Arts Illustrated", and some of the top fighters were Lau Gar guys like Pele Reid and Keith "Pele" Nathan.

Nice to see a mention for yourself and the lads on that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hi Niall,

A bit off topic, but would you know of any good (martial applications) bagua club in Dublin? My brother is interested in doing it - previously has done aikido & wing tsun. I did a few classes before to try it out but it was in no way martial!

Thanks
    Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

TKD SC wrote: »
    Hi Niall,

A bit off topic, but would you know of any good (martial applications) bagua club in Dublin? My brother is interested in doing it - previously has done aikido & wing tsun. I did a few classes before to try it out but it was in no way martial!

Thanks
    Simon

Simon,
    There was a "Yin Fu" Style Bagua group that have in the past entered Sanshou events in the UK. I'm not sure if they are still in existence?
    Bagua has some interesting gung methods, such as carrying blocks on the upper arms as the forearms are horizontal.
    This has the effect of training chin na leverage skills using a platform that simultaneously throws an opponent and breaks their elbow joint, not very pc in competition. The exercise is often done on bricks, 8 arranged as Bagua diagram, one starts on the flat then side then bricks standing on small edge, so balance and core strength is developed with low stances and twisting movements... Quite interesting but like any gung a serious commitment, an a waste of time without such commitment.
    Some of the nicest Bagua methods are it's footwork drills, i dont mean just the circle walking here, which probably generate it's character, I always found some of them to be clearly designed to aid fighting in dense forest as Emei Shan would be surrounded by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

TKD SC wrote: »
    Hi Niall,

Thanks
    Simon

Hi Simon,

Is your brother Stephen?

Regards,

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

Hi Simon,

Is your brother Stephen?

Regards,

Michael

PM sent!!