Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House robbery in Ratoath

Options
  • 23-09-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

just got back from my folks on phone there our house get broken in at around 12pm-2pm today.:(

I cant believe that this happened in our 'peaceful' small town Ratoath. We lives in a terrace town house so i honestly dont see any reason that anyone would want to target our house...there is literally nothing valuable in the house except my mum's wedding ring (and trust me you wont get much from it if you bring it to pawn shop). A sad day but luckily no one was hurt.

just a kind reminder for my fellow boardsie that be cautious to your house :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

seraphimvc wrote: »
    just got back from my folks on phone there our house get broken in at around 12pm-2pm today.:(

I cant believe that this happened in our 'peaceful' small town Ratoath. We lives in a terrace town house so i honestly dont see any reason that anyone would want to target our house...there is literally nothing valuable in the house except my mum's wedding ring (and trust me you wont get much from it if you bring it to pawn shop). A sad day but luckily no one was hurt.

just a kind reminder for my fellow boardsie that be cautious to your house :(

Its important for neighbours to keep an eye on each others houses to keep an eye out for suspecious people around the area. I live in a town house myself, is there an alarm on your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

that sucks.sorry to hear. I'm in Ratoath myself. There have been a few burglaries around, but this is the first i've heard of a terraced house.It's usually bungalows on the edge of the village. I was offered to purchase a table cloth or a palm reading by a traveller woman during the week outside my house.There was a van parked down the road a bit, and i couldn't see if anyone was in it.If they knock and no-ones home, bye bye valuables.cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

What part of the village did this happen in do you know? I live in Ratoath and I think I should alert anyone I know if they live near your house.

Tony10 wrote: »
    that sucks.sorry to hear. I'm in Ratoath myself. There have been a few burglaries around, but this is the first i've heard of a terraced house.It's usually bungalows on the edge of the village. I was offered to purchase a table cloth or a palm reading by a traveller woman during the week outside my house.There was a van parked down the road a bit, and i couldn't see if anyone was in it.If they knock and no-ones home, bye bye valuables.cnuts.

Im local as soon guys, its important that the guards are rang if you see them feckers round the place! If the guards come out then they know they are being watched! I live in a townhouse as well" Just a few days ago I was talking to the neighbours about watching each otheres houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

sorry to hear that..it's a really horrible thing to happen. our house was targeted recently, one of my family walked into the house while it was happening, luckily no-one hurt but a fair amount was taken.

• Advertisement

sorry to hear that..it's a really horrible thing to happen. our house was targeted recently, one of my family walked into the house while it was happening, luckily no-one hurt but a fair amount was taken.

If the robbers are caught its not that serious of an offence in court, I read about a case in the papers there few weeks ago, its always suspended sentences handed out in court and sure they do it again! Means they arent even going to prison! BALLS!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Worst is that they are now targetting copper cylinders and other metals , so you could end up coming home to your house completely flooded .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ladycam

Mine was robbed a few yrs ago in Ratoath at 2.30 in the afternoon!
    Neighbours saw strange car in drive, man putting stuff in car etc.
    Somebody upon leaving their house, saw this car pull into their driveway, so turned around and these robbers left. She took reg of car but most importantly
    DIDNT CALL THE F..IN GARDAI!!!!!!
    I think people are afraid of calling in case they are wrong, but in my opinion it is much better to be safe than sorry.
    Its only 1 phone call!
    BTW the scum that robbed me lived behind Spar!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Its important for neighbours to keep an eye on each others houses to keep an eye out for suspecious people around the area. I live in a town house myself, is there an alarm on your house?
    we do have alarm but we forget it on that day :(

pm Mental Legend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

seraphimvc wrote: »
    we do have alarm but we forget it on that day :(

what your insurance company say about that

sorry for your troubles too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've heard of a good few burglaries on Glascarn Lane (the lane opposite the BMX track entrance) in recent months (the most recent being last Monday night). Just remember to lock up and not to leave car keys or anything else valuable in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Robberies all over Meath at the Mo. House done is our estate 3 weeks ago, broke into garage via side door, took tool boxes out to van or what ever with wheel barrow, took diving suit, bikes worth a few bob. Worst still, same house was done all Ireland football sunday, this time cash for gold items.

Folks, get an alarm (monitored), plenty of PIR nightime lights outside, CCTV if you can afford it and take registrations of strange vehicles and pass them to your local crime prevention officer.
    Look out for one another, surprising how few folk take the time nowadays especially when an alarm goes off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

Fiskar wrote: »
    Look out for one another, surprising how few folk take the time nowadays especially when an alarm goes off.

Of course, because they're bloody going off all the time. I wouldn't pay a blind bit of notice to an alarm because hearing one is a daily occurance and therefore more of a nuisance than anything. And unless you've got a monitored service where response to an intrusion is very rapid then it's probably going to be of little use. Best bet is owning a Rottweiler....

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Pauvre Con wrote: »
    Of course, because they're bloody going off all the time. I wouldn't pay a blind bit of notice to an alarm because hearing one is a daily occurance and therefore more of a nuisance than anything. And unless you've got a monitored service where response to an intrusion is very rapid then it's probably going to be of little use. Best bet is owning a Rottweiler....

An interesting statistic from the Meath community crime prevention officer. These statistics cover Jan 2011 to Mar 2012:

92% of the houses broken into did not have an alarm set or had no alarm at all. Of the remaining where alarms were set the culprits left empty handed in 52% of incidents.

So alarms certainly do make a difference, but only when they are used. I'd recommend getting involved in your local community alert/neighbourhood watch schemes to help crack down on the crime in your area. If neighbours don't look out for each other, then it makes the burglars job very easy indeed.

For those on Facebook, check out the Meath Crime Prevention page for tips and warnings of crime in particular areas. There are also some links there to photos of recovered stolen goods (including tools and bikes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

I wonder what percentage of houses in Meath don't have an alarm though? But anyway although I guess it isn't a bad thing by any means having an alarm (although they do piss-off neighbours) as a deterrent to opportunistic burglaries, a serial thief isn't going to be stopped so easily. In and out in a few minutes is all it takes after all. There are probably a few basic defences to your home that will minimize the chances of it being broken into such as stronger doors and windows, shutting everything up and not leaving valuables on display...and yes having an alarm. I certainly wouldn't rely on any of them though!

Advertisement