Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressor /Generator

Options
  • 23-09-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi quick question for those in the know, a friend of mine has a compressor/generator and the generator has 2 110 volt outlet sockets one 16amp and one 32amp. My question is, is it possible to connect a 230volt socket from the generator or what would be involved in this?,many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A 110v traffo connected with 110v into the 110v side would give 220v out the 220v side:D

Not that id recommend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

You would need to exchange the sockets for plugs and visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

robbie7730 wrote: »
    A 110v traffo connected with 110v into the 110v side would give 220v out the 220v side:D

Not that id recommend that.

remember that you will half your load current !

steifanc wrote: »
    remember that you will half your load current !

What way is that relevent to it? If the 230v load is 1kw, the generator will need to supply the 1+kva for it, and once the traffo is up to it, the lower 230v side current is not of much relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭steifanc

What way is that relevent to it? If the 230v load is 1kw, the generator will need to supply the 1+kva for it, and once the traffo is up to it, the lower 230v side current is not of much relevance.

its revelent because a 220/110 step traffo at 1kva isnt rated at 1kva if its being used in reverse ,

• Advertisement

steifanc wrote: »
    its revelent because a 220/110 step traffo at 1kva isnt rated at 1kva if its being used in reverse ,

If a 220v/110v traffo has a 10 amp capacity on the 110v side, thats 5 amps on the 220v side.

Thats 1.1 kva in this example.

Reverse it, and it still has a 5 amp capacity on the now secondary 220v side, and 10 amp on the now primary 110v side. So the 1.1 kva capacity of the transformer remains constant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i was trying to fathom that statement myself

I know, its could be one of them "higher voltage = lower current" type statements, without actually grasping it fully possibly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I know, its could be one of them "higher voltage = lower current" type statements, without actually grasping it fully possibly.
    I'm with Robbie on this. If losses are ignored VA in = VA out regardless of which way around the transformer is connected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Never tried reversing a 2:1 trafo
    i assume it will work
    kva remains the same anyhow unless ive missed something

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    i assume it will work
    kva remains the same anyhow unless ive missed something

I hope you havent, as then its me that doesnt have a proper grasp of it, thats always a good posibility too.

M cebee wrote: »
    i assume it will work

It will work alright.
    I wonder if disconnecting the centre tap of the 110 side of the traffo from the earth pin might be an idea if it was ever tried. Probably wouldnt matter too much. A small current would flow in the 55v loops if either centre tap (genny or traffo) were not accurately centred. Its likely they would be accurate though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

As said above, power will be constant and will not change.

Advertisement