Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Coolant the same thing as Anti-freeze?

• 23-09-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

coming into the cold months now and need to find the best option for use with my car:)

david

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Definition: Antifreeze, also called coolant, is the colored fluid (usually green or red) found in your radiator. Antifreeze serves a few purposes. The most important and known is keeping the water in your radiator and engine from freezing in cold temps. It also keeps that same water from boiling over in the summer. Radiators are normally filled with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water. The third function of antifreeze, or coolant is lubrication -- it lubricates the moving parts it comes in contact with, like the water pump.

How Does It Work? The key chemical component in today's coolants is ethylene glycol. Mixed correctly, this stuff can keep your radiator fluid from freezing even if the temperature is less than 30 degrees below zero! That's cold. The amazing thing is that it can also keep the same fluid from boiling at as much as 275 degrees F. Antifreeze can really get control of those water molecules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

so there the same thing lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

pudzey101 wrote: »
    so there the same thing lol

Basically, just make sure there isn't just water in it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

sentient_6 wrote: »

ya that was for my 1st diesel car i didnt know what when into it, the colour was red/greenish so hadnt a clue what it even was lol:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The answer to this question is in your other thread though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You need to use whatever coolant the manufacturer recommends you use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You start more threads than a champion seamstress Pudsey! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Hence this.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Without starting a new thread, the coolant I have in my car at the moment is summer and I am wondering is there any way to change it for winter coolant without doing a flush?

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Without starting a new thread, the coolant I have in my car at the moment is summer and I am wondering is there any way to change it for winter coolant without doing a flush?

Why would you bother, summer coolant has antifreeze in it. Get it tested to confirm that the system is protected. The only way to change it is the drain it out and replace it, you don't have to flush it really although why wouldn't you if you were draining it?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Why would you bother, summer coolant has antifreeze in it. Get it tested to confirm that the system is protected. The only way to change it is the drain it out and replace it, you don't have to flush it really although why wouldn't you if you were draining it?

It's just coolant is something that I have never really been certain about.

Coming into winter also, I didn't think summer coolant would be up to the job.

if the mix is right 'twill be fine :)
    If the mix is weak, drain a litre out and lash in a litre of antifreeze straight. Just use OAT or the other stuff, whichever is in there.

Any decent garage will be able to do a test on the strength of the antifreeze in your coolant and tell you what temp it will protect to.
    Test takes about 10 seconds....

Any decent garage will be able to do a test on the strength of the antifreeze in your coolant and tell you what temp it will protect to.
    Test takes about 10 seconds....

Will they charge much for doing that?

I've actually never drained anyting apart from oil before. I presume it's pretty much the same except undoing a different bolt?

They should charge not much at all, they just take a squirt from the expansion tank with a tester that tells how much anti freeze is in the mix. We used to have one in the factors I worked in, used to check it for nothing (all part of the service), folks rarely asked us to though.

To drain the coolant system fully the stat should be removed really unless there is a hose that can be taken off to drain the smaller coolant loop as well as the rad loop (there isn't in most cars really), removing the stat is easy in some cars, a ball ache on others. Rad is drained by taking off the hose going to the bottom of it in many cases.

Not as handy a job as doing an oil change really.

Will they charge much for doing that?

I've actually never drained anyting apart from oil before. I presume it's pretty much the same except undoing a different bolt?

They shouldn't, if they charge anything at all.

Where are you based?

There are various drain methods on different cars, some you have to remove the bottom rad hose, some have drain taps on the rad, some engine have drain plugs on the block etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anti-freeze is not coolant. Coolant is not resistant to freezing and whilst most modern coolants have anti-freezing properties this doesn't mean that coolant and anti-freeze are the same. Coolant in its most basic form has a function of a liquid that is resistant to temperature change and that's why it cools the hot parts of the engine. This does not mean by any means that all coolants contain properties of being resistant to freezing. Assuming that both are the same could lead to major failure.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Anti-freeze is not coolant. Coolant is not resistant to freezing and whilst most modern coolants have anti-freezing properties this doesn't mean that coolant and anti-freeze are the same. Coolant in its most basic form has a function of a liquid that is resistant to temperature change and that's why it cools the hot parts of the engine. This does not mean by any means that all coolants contain properties of being resistant to freezing. Assuming that both are the same could lead to major failure.

That's lovely and no doubt technically true (might get a mark or too in Junior Cert science) but stroll into any motor factors or service station in the country and try and buy coolant that isn't also anti freeze ;).

• Advertisement

That's lovely and no doubt technically true (might get a mark or too in Junior Cert science) but stroll into any motor factors or service station in the country and try and buy coolant that isn't also anti freeze ;).
    So because it is commonly referred to as the same thing doesn't mean it's the same thing. Whats your point? The red fluid in a rare steak is often referred to as blood but that doesn't make it true either.

If you look at the page you just quoted it states for every product 'anti-freeze & coolant' which proves my point that both are not the same thing, but thanks for the link to help me prove it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

"Coolant" "Antifreeze" all generic terms I'm afraid.

They're getting more like oils by the day.

Some of the VAG units used the engine coolant to cool the oil, using the wrong fluid resulted in corrosion and oil & water mixed... not good.

Check yer handbook etc and use the right stuff.

I find it very very strange that on a motoring forum someone would actually try and point out that coolant is not antifreeze, we are on about the stuff for cars, we are not studying for the junior cert, maybe you are though. Water is a coolant, it is not an anti freeze, we all know literally what a coolant and what an anti freeze is, most of us know they are mutually inclusive when referring to the tack that goes in a cars radiator.

I find it very very strange that on a motoring forum someone would actually try and point out that coolant is not antifreeze, we are on about the stuff for cars, we are not studying for the junior cert, maybe you are though. Water is a coolant, it is not an anti freeze, we all know literally what a coolant and what an anti freeze is, most of us know they are mutually inclusive when referring to the tack that goes in a cars radiator.

I was answering the question that was asked in te OP. I did it with a technical answer that was both technically correct and commonly thought to be correct by anyone that has ever worked in the car servicing industry. You can claim all day long that 'sure everyone knows theyre the same thing' but the truth is that 1. They aren't the same thing and 2. It could be extremely costly to assume they are.

As for your second attempt at patronising me with reference to a junior cert, and thus attempt to undermine my answer, my only reply to that is that you can GTFO with your bullshït flaming, I'm above the low level trolling you are famous for.

The question in the OP was regarding a car, in context the answer is yes. Lol at the trolling, I don't expect you to explain in what circles I'm famous for it, your exclusive man's club I imagine ;)

The question in the OP was regarding a car, in context the answer is yes.

whether the context is a car, a tractor or an air conditioning unit, is irrelevant the answer is the same. NO. Buying generic antifreeze and adding to the coolant of some cars would be very detrimental and costly. To advise or suggest otherwise is lazy and careless. If you don't know enough to give a correct answer to a question, as Fishtits did, then don't assume that the OP will know that your 'common man' interpretation might not apply to him.

whether the context is a car, a tractor or an air conditioning unit, is irrelevant the answer is the same. NO. Buying generic antifreeze and adding to the coolant of some cars would be very detrimental and costly. To advise or suggest otherwise is lazy and careless. If you don't know enough to give a correct answer to a question, as Fishtits did, then don't assume that the OP will know that your 'common man' interpretation might not apply to him.

yawn, I have helped the OP and volvoman plenty in this thread, unlike yourself, so perhaps some of your own advice would be apt, gtfo etc, and I know plenty thank you :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I was answering the question that was asked in te OP. I did it with a technical answer that was both technically correct and commonly thought to be correct by anyone that has ever worked in the car servicing industry. You can claim all day long that 'sure everyone knows theyre the same thing' but the truth is that 1. They aren't the same thing and 2. It could be extremely costly to assume they are.

As for your second attempt at patronising me with reference to a junior cert, and thus attempt to undermine my answer, my only reply to that is that you can GTFO with your bullshït flaming, I'm above the low level trolling you are famous for.
    The question in the OP was regarding a car, in context the answer is yes. Lol at the trolling, I don't expect you to explain in what circles I'm famous for it, your exclusive man's club I imagine ;)
    yawn, I have helped the OP and volvoman plenty in this thread, unlike yourself, so perhaps some of your own advice would be apt, gtfo etc, and I know plenty thank you :cool:

The 2 of ye should know better

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement