Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of ball bearing on Toyota yaris?

• 23-09-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

I left my car in for a service today. They rang me to tell me one of my ball bearings is gone, when I'm on motorway and go at any speed my car sounds like an aeroplane. He said when a ball bearing is going they get lose. Mine aren't at that stage yet so he can't tell which bearing it is. He said he'd replace both for 90 each so I said go ahead, 2 bearings is 180. However, later on in the day I got a call from the garage, he explained that normally a ball bearing costs 20-50 euro cost price so he said90 to me as an estimate to include service charges but he said that the 99 yaris has a special bearing where part of the wheel has to be replaced and costs 190 each, cost price i think. he was not in any way pushy and nearly encouraged me to leave it for a while so I might only have to replace one, does that cost sound right to ye?I have to ring him in the morning, Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

random10 wrote: »
    I left my car in for a service today. They rang me to tell me one of my ball bearings is gone, when I'm on motorway and go at any speed my car sounds like an aeroplane. He said when a ball bearing is going they get lose. Mine aren't at that stage yet so he can't tell which bearing it is. He said he'd replace both for 90 each so I said go ahead, 2 bearings is 180. However, later on in the day I got a call from the garage, he explained that normally a ball bearing costs 20-50 euro cost price so he said90 to me as an estimate to include service charges but he said that the 99 yaris has a special bearing where part of the wheel has to be replaced and costs 190 each, cost price i think. he was not in any way pushy and nearly encouraged me to leave it for a while so I might only have to replace one, does that cost sound right to ye?I have to ring him in the morning, Thanks a million

Is this on the front or back wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

Back wheels as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

random10 wrote: »
    Back wheels as far as I know.

I'm guessing that hub and bearing makes a whole set, and must be replaced together.
    That's why price is bigger.

Absolutely no point in changing both if only one is gone.

If it was good mechanic, he most likely should be able to find out which one is gone, even if they are not loose. The one which is gone makes very specific sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Tell you mechanic that a wheel bearing(not ball bearing) doesn't have to be loose to be worn.

If its that loud on the motorway then it needs replacement. It also means there should be no issue with finding which wheel is the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

no experience with the back but we had issues with front wheel bearings on a 00 yaris

my own indy replaced the bearing and the hub for about €190

about 12 months later the other side got noisy when my daughter was away from home on work experience , a garage recommended by her employer charged €155 for bearing and labour ( didn't change the hub)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

surely jacking up the car and spinning the rear wheels by hand to touch and feel and hear which side is gone might tell you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

If your mechanic can't be definitive in which wheel bearing is gone, I'd suggest you find a new one. Its a very basic job for a competent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Ya the yaris bearing and hub come together, cant do the bearing on its own. 190 is a fair price but if he can't tell you what side then go to someone else as he hasn't a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You might need to change mechanics at the same time as changing the bearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭random10

Thanks for the replies, I told him to leave it, I'll go back somewhere in a few weeks when a mechanic can be sure which wheel it is,don't want to throw 200 odd euro away for nothing

• Advertisement
Advertisement