Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinding brakes

• 23-09-2011 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Got a 07 Nissan Almera SXE that has started making a grinding noise when braking.
    Only happens when car is going really slow and brake pedal depressed quite a bit.

Anyone any idea what the issue could be? Brake pads, fluid, anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

gouche wrote: »
    Got a 07 Nissan Almera SXE that has started making a grinding noise when braking.
    Only happens when car is going really slow and brake pedal depressed quite a bit.

Anyone any idea what the issue could be? Brake pads, fluid, anything else?

Could be worn break pads... Metal on metal . turn your steering out and have a look see if your front pads are worn down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Pads being worn is the most obvious thing but because they've been left to the point where they have started to grind, your disks will need replacing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Pads being worn is the most obvious thing but because they've been left to the point where they have started to grind, your disks will need replacing too.

Not necessarily. If it's recent, then it might be just the lip of the brake disc on the metal of the pad and it's not been left for a while, it may well be ok.

OP if the wearing surface of the disc is not scored, then you should be ok.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Not necessarily. If it's recent, then it might be just the lip of the brake disc on the metal of the pad and it's not been left for a while, it may well be ok.

OP if the wearing surface of the disc is not scored, then you should be ok.

If the lip on the disk is big enough for that to happen then the disks already needed replacement.

No, this would be a good time to get someone knowledgable to look at the discs and the real reason for the grinding sound. All we can do in an internet forum is give an opinion on what it might be and what should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Tony10

i had this grinding 2 weeks ago.Was due a service soon anyways so went to advance pitstop and the guy told-and showed- me that my pads were completely gone, and that it was metal on metal, and very dangerous to drive.it was so bad that i had to buy new pads and breaks, and also because of the grinding-my wheels were off by 10degrees.total cost at best was 365.expensive for me being a student, but better safe then sorry.

Tony10 wrote: »
    i had this grinding 2 weeks ago.Was due a service soon anyways so went to advance pitstop and the guy told-and showed- me that my pads were completely gone, and that it was metal on metal, and very dangerous to drive.it was so bad that i had to buy new pads and breaks, and also because of the grinding-my wheels were off by 10degrees.total cost at best was 365.expensive for me being a student, but better safe then sorry.

Well, it's too late to go to someone knowledgable then!! :D:D:D

Whatever about pads and disks being worn and needing replacement, the brakes can have no effect on the alignment of the the wheels so i don't know where that came from....also if the wheels were 10 degrees off the car would be almost undrivable.

Tracking, front pads and front discs were €365?
    What make and model car was it and what branch of Advance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

365 ??? wow.. that must be kinda for poor student porshe :D
    If seriously , for regular car that price for brake discs and pads + wheel alignment ... is obvious rip off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement