Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back support?

Options
  • 23-09-2011 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey, not sure if this is misplaced but I was unsure where to post.

I work as a fulltime caregiver and I keep hurting my back. I know, I know I need to lift with my knees and keep my back straight etc but I'd like advice on a good support belt to wear under my clothes that will help give me support when lifting/transfering clients.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Shine7 wrote: »
    Hey, not sure if this is misplaced but I was unsure where to post.

I work as a fulltime caregiver and I keep hurting my back. I know, I know I need to lift with my knees and keep my back straight etc but I'd like advice on a good support belt to wear under my clothes that will help give me support when lifting/transfering clients.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi Shine.

I also have a badly injured back. I ruptured a disc last Christmas and will never recover properly without surgery .

After 12 sessions in Naas hospital Physio therapy I am finally getting relief from pain.

My advise to you is to stay away from the the gym for now. You need to get advise from a good Physio .

Every one is different , but I began very gently with Pilates type exercises to build up a good core and to try and exercise stabilizing muscles in my mid section.
    This link has very simple and very effective exercises which may seem very mild, but will give good results within a couple of weeks.http://www.lower-back-pain-toolkit.com/exercises-for-lower-back-pain.html If is tingles or hurts then stop.

I now run 3 times a week with a herniated disc which is a testament to those simple exercises. Also you will benefit from some Manual Handling training. I am a steel worker. Belive me. I know what you are going through.
    Avoid those belts unless advised by a professional . They only serve to delay recovery in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shine7

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I'm sorry to hear that you have had such issues yourself! I have gotten patient moving and manual handling training but unfortunately when you're working with people the usual steps don't always work out accordingly.

To be honest the pain I'm feeling at the moment is very superficial and I am no where near the kind of issue that you have faced but it's the fear of that that has me looking for ideas to prevent it. Keeping that in mind, do you think a support belt would be a good idea for preventing back injuries rather than a recovery aid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Shine7 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I'm sorry to hear that you have had such issues yourself! I have gotten patient moving and manual handling training but unfortunately when you're working with people the usual steps don't always work out accordingly.

To be honest the pain I'm feeling at the moment is very superficial and I am no where near the kind of issue that you have faced but it's the fear of that that has me looking for ideas to prevent it. Keeping that in mind, do you think a support belt would be a good idea for preventing back injuries rather than a recovery aid?

All I know about the belts is what my physio said. She was dead against them, saying that they don't replace good posture and core strength. I lift heavy weight for a living and have a kidney belt . A corset type belt with velcro type adjustment. It is designed for back problems , not a weight lifters belt . I found it to just get in the way and not really any help.
    If you are around Naas I can loan it to you. It is similar to this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MEDICAL-KIDNEY-BELT-BACK-SUPPORT-Sports-Corset-/140330378982?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Mobility_Disability_Medical_ET&hash=item20ac57a

Advertisement