Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Point

• 23-09-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I've just added a router (access point) via 50m of cat5 to my man cave, however the internet seems quite slow especially video streaming. I can however play the ps3 online without any major issue.
    Is the problem just that its 50m of cable or is there router settings to change on the one connected to the net inside.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    I've just added a router (access point) via 50m of cat5 to my man cave, however the internet seems quite slow especially video streaming. I can however play the ps3 online without any major issue.
    Is the problem just that its 50m of cable or is there router settings to change on the one connected to the net inside.
    Cheers.

Could you try cat5e or cat6 as it is far better quality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

50m is OK, is it a crap crimp and half duplex perhaps ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

collier wrote: »

Would make little difference, cat5 does gigabit.

Check you're not overlapping wireless channels with your neighbours or your own wifi router

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Would make little difference, cat5 does gigabit.

Check you're not overlapping wireless channels with your neighbours or your own wifi router

It has a much lower throughput though I have a degree in the field

He's not going to be hitting anywhere near the limit of its throughput with a wireless access point

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »

He's not going to be hitting anywhere near the limit of its throughput with a wireless access point

I know that just saying they are better quality and when I install these kinda systems I use highest quality available. I would also double check the rj45s are properly crimped and the cable is not snagged or bent in anyway. After that make sure you pick a channel which is not widely used and make sure both wifi Ssids differ.

Telling him replace cat5 for cat5e or cat6 won't fix his problem. Recrimping might help.

Advertisement