Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Maternity Hospital - The pits.

• 23-09-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

I passed through Limerick Maternity Hospital a few times over the years and it was fcuking scary, the attitude of the staff (seriously the vast majority...) is to treat the Mothers, Dads, families, relations etc. as an irritating problem they need to suffer temporarily.

- Posting this now after hearing from a friend of how a young, insecure, worried Mother was basically mistreated and bullied in there by stilted, twisted, Morons on the staff list who are paid weekly by us the Taxpayer.

Have you Folks noticed or heard of this? Would like to hear your views.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Raiser wrote: »
    My sister had a baby a few weeks ago, there was complications having the baby and her lung collapsed, then was loads of trouble trying to get her to the regional afterwards. All the ambulances were busy so she'd to get a taxi over and back. I'm not too sure what else happened but there was some drama, I didn't ask too much she was real upset.
    But the staff were very kind to her and us while we visited, checking on her often, giving her extra pillows and giving her tea. Didn't crib when we were late leaving either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

my sister in law was having a miscarraige a few months back so off they rushed to the maternity in a panic, brought nothing no money or anything. when there, they were told she needed a scan and couldnt provide water for her so in and out to the toilet she had to go to fill up her cup,,for a finish my bro went back home to get money to go buy her some bottled water,,total dis-grace!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

tantipie wrote: »
    my sister in law was having a miscarraige a few months back so off they rushed to the maternity in a panic, brought nothing no money or anything. when there, they were told she needed a scan and couldnt provide water for her so in and out to the toilet she had to go to fill up her cup,,for a finish my bro went back home to get money to go buy her some bottled water,,total dis-grace!!!!

In fairness it's not the staffs fault that there was no water, budget cuts from above warranted the removal of those dispensable water machines a few years ago. Also the maternity do not have their own kitchens, the food for patients is prepared in the regional and brought over each day.
    Not associated with either place, just saying it's not always the staff at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

i understand that too,,but it doesn't help when your world is falling apart:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Interesting that most of the posters here are people "who know people" or "heard stories" rather than actual mothers who have had their kids @ Munchins :rolleyes:

I had both my girls in Limerick and could not fault the nursing staff either prenatally, postnatally or during labour and I was a public patient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Interesting that most of the posters here are people "who know people" or "heard stories" rather than actual mothers who have had their kids @ Munchins :rolleyes:

Not entirely surprising though, given one poster involved at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭d1980

angelfire9 wrote: »

I had both my girls in Limerick and count not fault the nursing staff either prenatally, postnatally or during labour and I was a public patient
    Have to second that. We had our daughter there in the last week and care was second to none. On our arrival, hospital was full, but you would not think it given the care provided. Food very good, hospital clean and nurses always on hand.

The Natal classes put on weekly were also very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Both first time new mothers I know who were in there recently were full of praise for the staff. The hospital itself I always find depressing but I've never really heard anyone fault the staff in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I had both of my children at the Limerick Regional Maternity hospital.
    I could not fault anything about the service provided.
    The staff there are A1. There isn't a thing they could have done better.
    I was actually looking forward to it second time round :)

My sister had a baby two months ago and the staff shortages are taking a toll. There was one midwife on duty for one floor (10 rooms I think?).
    To watch that one lady run between patients, rooms and babies was heart wrenching. She was trying to attend to everybody and each patient was left feeling neglected. It wasn't her fault.

OP, I think it is extremely upsetting for you to post your views of somebody elses experience of an understaffed, overcrowded, underfunded hospital. Your view is based on second hand information.
    The staff of the Limerick Regional Maternity Hospital are excellent.

I'm sorry to hear that girl had a bad experience but I think the staff their are amazing. That's my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

My wife had 4 kids all at the maternity , we always found the staff supportive and helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

My wife just had our 1st child in the maternity. I couldn't fault the staff. The senior midwife who helped deliver our son was amazing. We had some complications during the labour and she kept us informed of everything that was happening and all the options that were for us. The ward staff were very patient and couldn't do enough for us.

The pre and post natal staff were excellent also.

Can't wait to go back there for No. 2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Per staff per head, last year they nearly doubled the amount of babies
    delivered compared with Galway. The Limerick maternity was built in the 60s
    when there was a smaller population. Two times in the past it was planned
    to rebuild on another site. There was 50 million allocated for this new build,
    of course all the planners and co got paid a lot of money for this.
    But of course no new build. The staff in there are run off their feet.
    Which of course is bad for staff ( accidents, stress) which will impact
    back to the patients. Its not the staffs fault, look at middle and higher management for the answers, Too many and too highly paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

My twins where 2 months prem and spent 6 weeks in the neonatal unit and the staff allround where top class realy could not fault anything !
    The building is the pits but that has no reflection on the staff in my opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Raiser wrote: »
    I passed through Limerick Maternity Hospital a few times over the years and it was fcuking scary, the attitude of the staff (seriously the vast majority...) is to treat the Mothers, Dads, families, relations etc. as an irritating problem they need to suffer temporarily.

- Posting this now after hearing from a friend of how a young, insecure, worried Mother was basically mistreated and bullied in there by stilted, twisted, Morons on the staff list who are paid weekly by us the Taxpayer.

What about the unfortunate people that dont pay tax? I suppose they should be left outside:rolleyes:. IMO they provide a 1st class service to all, in the second busiest maternity in the country. Unfortunate thread on the week that the nurses went out for us all over in the regional........

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

I could only commend the excellent job being done at the Maternity.
    Apparently we are at the very height of a baby boom at a time of cut backs, and from my experience the level of general and critical care has been seamless under these constraints.
    I never encountered any staff there that were any less than helpful and pleasant. I could however understand if this wasn't always the case where visitors were involved. The primary care is for the mother and baby, excessive flow of visitors milling around can be obstructive, and even dangerous.
    Newborns, premature babies and also mothers are particularly vulnerable to bacteria/infection. People walking in off the streets, their homes, fields or where ever are adding to worries. Perhaps also keep in mind that the Regional has had impose visiting restrictions recently due to an infection outbreak.
    Access by close family/friends can indeed be critical to someone's well being and for reassurance, comfort etc But 10 family members huddled round a bed trying to peek at a healthy baby can be unhelpful to less fortunate in the room/ward.
    It's a shame your "passing through" experience wasn't all you hoped it would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Myself and my wife recently had our first child in the regional and to be honest I feel they do wonders with what they have available to them. The building is not fix for its current use and the volume of people going through it. 95%of the staff out there are amazing. They are short staffed constantly! It's madness on the wards trying to attend everyone. They provide everything from care to training for the patients. Myself and my wife learned a lot from the midwifes after our child was born. It's crazy really that in the middle of a baby boom that the hospital is short midwifes, short blankets even. While we were in the labour ward a midwife was telling me that we have some of the best trained midwifes in the world but they are working everywhere in the world bar Ireland. She is forced constantly to do overtime. They had labour rooms free while we were in just because they hadn't midwifes available to run them. All the while there were women in the outside wards in labour who really should have been in theses rooms.

It's not the staffs fault! They provide us with a super service with the resources available. They have to deal with all sorts of stupid situations in my opinion. Visitors really need to cop on out there and realise that these wards are an active working area and attention to patients doesn't stop because it's visiting time!

It's a pity Willie O'dea didn't do a small bit for this hospital will he could. I for one will be making a good donation to this hospital in the coming days! This is just my view on this hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Thanks to all the parents who posted such positive stories :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emily2012

I have to say,i attended the antenatal clinic and gave birth to my daughter in limerick maternity in 2012.. I then had to attend the EPU clinic and infortunately had a miscarriage in oct 2012.. I must say on both occasions i found all the staff wonderful n when i had the miscarriage the treatment and care i recieved was like my mother looking after me.. I think the staff dont get enough credit for the job,treatment and the shoulder they give to women.. well done Limerick maternity,i look forward to seeing you all in Nov,. please God :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Out little one was born in October of last year and I don't think I could say enough about the place and the people, top notch and a fantastic bonus to the region.

Anyway

Zombie thread so locking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement